3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SAS Pioneer longbow short review ...  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
SAS Pioneer longbow short review ...
« on: December 12, 2023, 02:54:13 PM »
Let's start with the conclusion.  I think this is a very good bow.  It's quiet, it's smooth and for me it's accurate.

Now back to the beginning.  I like longbows.  I especially like "D" shape longbows and was looking to add another to the collection and kept looking at this mainly due to the low price ($189).

I was only able to find a couple of reviews online and the two main reviews on youtube both were negative.  I'm glad I didn't listen to them.

Right out of the box the bow looked well made.  The string was a run of the mill endless loop string and it went straight into the "only use in case of emergency" pile.  The grip was nice enough, but it was too low and positioned your hand too far away from the shelf.  I took it off and wrapped the grip with hockey tape.  I put on a string I had made for my Big Five and we're in business.

Right from the get go this longbow shot really well for me.  Quiet, smooth and accurate.  Speed seems just like any other mild r/d longbow.  No speed demon, but not slow either.  For me it shoots better than my Bear Montana.  As for hand shock, just a little thump.  Less than the Montana.

It has a huge Pioneer logo on the back of the bow, but a little spray paint took care of that.  The description says the woods used are Makore, Cassia Siamea and Maple. Who knows?  It looks fine and shoots well.

I've had it for a couple of months now and have put hundreds of arrows through it.  Everything's held up fine.  I don't see how you can go wrong.  It's a solid bow regardless of price.

Just thought folks might like a short review since there doesn't seem to be much out there on this bow.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SAS Pioneer longbow short review ...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 03:07:56 PM »
BTW ... the bow is #45 shooting 1916's cut to 30" with 150 up front.

Online goose_

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 05:39:05 PM »
Thanks for the review. I considered one of these before I found my ASLs. I had wondered if the online reviewers just weren't long bow guys.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 12:06:53 PM »
Interesting ::: Thanks for the review  :archer2:

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 02:06:44 PM »
Up for a member looking for a starter bow.

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 04:16:15 PM »
One of the best shooting bows I've owned in 48 years of archery cost me less than $200.
The cosmetics aren't there as far as finish but I'm not really into cosmetics anyway.
I been thinking about trying one of those myself.
I just ordered a Deer Seeker Outlander longbow..see how it goes with it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©