Author Topic: Water Base Finish for a laminated bow?  (Read 809 times)

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
Water Base Finish for a laminated bow?
« on: December 13, 2023, 07:38:01 PM »
I currently spray Krystal, however as I'm prepping for another order, I just was thinking about exploring other options. Lacquer has it's obvious drawbacks, regarding spraying, ventilation, etc. Benefits though, regarding finish quality.

As a full time woodworker, I've used waterborne finishes a LOT. Are there any that are flexible enough to work with bows? I'm not opposed to epoxy style finishes either, but would moreso like to try water base if possible.

After reading the search results, doesn't seem so, but I thought I'd ask again to see if something changed.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Water Base Finish for a laminated bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 04:36:21 PM »
I used water-based wipe on poly ones and it worked okay but I never did expose it to a lot of weather.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 07:03:51 PM »
No issues with cracking or crazing?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 08:51:56 PM »
Helmsman water base spar varnish is Excellent exterior material. I used some on some outdoor furniture that has seen two seasons of UV rays, and rain. I only put them away from december to March.

I used a spray gun to apply it.  You will have no issues with flexibility on bow limbs.   

Personally i use an Auto clear coating for its durability and clarity on all my bows. i shoot a high gloss material to get more solids, and use a high pressure mist for a fine matt finish that comes out more like satin and very little reflective values for hunting bows.

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 11:47:35 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I'll grab a small can of that to test it out.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 01:20:16 PM »
I have a designated spray gun i use for water base materials and I use a bit larger tip size so i can spray it without reducing it. Typically a 1.3 mm works well. This stuff lays down nice and dries fairly quick. i did multiple coats without sanding between coats successfully. it tacked off quickly.

Here is a good write up on maximizing and manipulating your spray gun through tip size and distance from your surface.....

https://holapaints.com/spray-gun-tip-size-chart/

Of course every type of material you use has different characteristics and viscosity. Some of the hot products work better with a smaller tip and reducer, but are very fickle when it comes to temp and tack time for multiple coats without sanding..... This water base stuff is as user friendly as it gets....I laid down several wet coats and it overlapped, and self leveled nicely.

Spraying different types of clear coating is a trade in itself....It  takes a lot of trial and error to get it down.     Kirk

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©