3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jeffery Archery  (Read 1124 times)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Jeffery Archery
« on: December 21, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »
Just found a Jeffery Archery bow in a local pawn shop . Perfect specs for me at 62 inches and 42#. The model is  Special. Happy to have found this one I’ve always had a fondness for Jeffery Archery bows. Being from SC and Jeffery’s shop was in SC. As a youngster my uncle always had South Carolina Wildlife magazine’s laying around and Jeffery Archery always had adds in the magazine. I credit Bear archery catalogs and Jeffery Archery with fueling my interest in traditional bows. Needless to say, I’m happy to have this one and don’t see it going anywhere.
Anyone have any info on the “SPECIAL”?  I don’t remember it from the old adds.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jeffery Archery
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 07:26:10 AM »
Congrats on the find. Mike!  They were the closest shop to me when I picked up the trad bow in 2015, so I went there to get set up.  The clerk was less than helpful and tried to sell me a compound.  Owen left a great legacy in the sport but I guess nothing lasts forever.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 07:56:44 AM »
Michael, when I just got into bowhunting in the early 80s I went to the only shop I knew of , they sold boats and marine supplies along with archery equipment. I was looking for a recurve but the guy talked me into a compound, they didn’t have any traditional bows. Talk about sticker shock, bought the bow , 6 arrows, rest ,sight , peep and had to pay for setup. No wonder they didn’t sell trad bows. Went home and a couple days later had a hay bale fall over and bend most of my arrows.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 08:17:04 AM »
I purchased my "Special" in the 1990's. New and in the box.
62" #50 Recurve.
I also wrote and asked Jeffery Company about my bow after sending them details and serial numbers, etc.
Was told they no longer make that model. Only the Hunter.
They seemed not very interested in my bow, nor answering any of my questions.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 09:58:37 AM »
Bill , thanks for the info, I had a Toyal once but it just didn’t shoot very good for me. This one shoots great , not the fastest but a sweet shooting quiet bow. I guess Jeffery like many shops found there was more money to be made with compounds.
 Aldo Leopold

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 04:18:58 PM »
Owen Jeffrey built some work horse bows.
I had a 60"takedown for years I bought in the early 90s. Wish I still had it

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 04:52:42 PM »
Bill , thanks for the info, I had a Toyal once but it just didn’t shoot very good for me. This one shoots great , not the fastest but a sweet shooting quiet bow. I guess Jeffery like many shops found there was more money to be made with compounds.

I have been very happy with my "Special Recurve". Always shot smooth and very quiet. Enjoy your Bow and get out there and make some memories.
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline Greenstyk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 09:15:55 PM »
I have two 60” Jeffrey Royal Hunters. They are 59 and 61@28. Both are tough good shooting bows. I don’t know about a Jeffrey Special.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 11:11:59 AM »
Had a Jeffery's QT recurve 55#, similar to the Shakespeare, sold it to a friend who had his stolen.  Always admired the Royal.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"