Author Topic: virtualbow  (Read 2875 times)

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: virtualbow
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2023, 07:45:17 PM »
Hello Mark

I send you the build up I have in mind what I post before was only a an example.
If you agree I can send you the file via email and you can try it by yourself an give me your opinion.

Hey Miguel,

I will PM you my email and you can send the virtual bow file there. I have been busy through the holidays so it will be a while before I get to it, though.

I can email woodbear's spreadsheet to you no problem, but it is only for wood flat bows. It does not allow you to use laminations of different materials or any reflex/deflex in the design. It is also not very intuitive to use. It took me a while before I got my head around it and understood how to get useful info out of it and I am a mechanical engineer, so I have the math background to understand the underlying principles.

I am not sure the version of Supertiller I have is for public consumption, Alan sent it to me direct after I asked him some questions. You can certainly find the public version with a bit of google searching, though. Supertiller also assumes a lot of engineering background and knowledge and will not be particularly useful if you don't have that.

Mark

Offline Miguel Gasso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2023, 01:10:57 AM »
Hello Mark

I send you the build up I have in mind what I post before was only a an example.
If you agree I can send you the file via email and you can try it by yourself an give me your opinion.

Hey Miguel,

I will PM you my email and you can send the virtual bow file there. I have been busy through the holidays so it will be a while before I get to it, though.

I can email woodbear's spreadsheet to you no problem, but it is only for wood flat bows. It does not allow you to use laminations of different materials or any reflex/deflex in the design. It is also not very intuitive to use. It took me a while before I got my head around it and understood how to get useful info out of it and I am a mechanical engineer, so I have the math background to understand the underlying principles.

I am not sure the version of Supertiller I have is for public consumption, Alan sent it to me direct after I asked him some questions. You can certainly find the public version with a bit of google searching, though. Supertiller also assumes a lot of engineering background and knowledge and will not be particularly useful if you don't have that.

Mark
Hello Mark,
Thanks for your offer, this days I be bussy, it the time I 40% of my bussines.
I will take a look to Supertiller too, so I wait for your mail.
Thanks, Mig

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2024, 03:34:54 AM »
fantastic application.
as sw developer, maybe I will join them, if they want to. finally I am seeing somebody on bow bow making as nerd as me  :biglaugh:

did i said it is a fantastic application.

best and thanks.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2024, 10:07:58 AM »
Wish I had some of that nerd side of the brain but using it just doesn't sink in for me.  I know,  just read the instructions!  That gave me a headache 😩
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2024, 10:41:24 AM »
Wish I had some of that nerd side of the brain but using it just doesn't sink in for me.  I know,  just read the instructions!  That gave me a headache 😩

Just reading the instructions doesn't really cut it for this sort of thing. To effectively use the software you really need to understand the underlying principles and the limitations of where the analysis starts to fall apart. The only good way to get that knowledge is through an engineering education, which is a significant hurdle for a casual user.

Mark

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2024, 08:20:17 PM »
Engineers are virtual rabbit hole junkies. :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2024, 11:16:45 PM »
Engineers are virtual rabbit hole junkies. :biglaugh:

Some of us may resemble that remark.

Mark

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 12:37:41 PM »
I worked closely with many different types of engineers for years in the construction industry, and have few friends that went down that mathematical rabbit hole getting their degrees too. Quite honestly... i seriously considered that career path while in high school and found advanced math intriguing..... But earning a living, avoiding the draft, and getting married way to young, put a serious wrinkle in my college pursuits. But i did get a few years of Community college in trade school that was valuable. The Architectural design, and drafting i learned in college i used for many years as a general contractor.  Even after everything went to Auto Cad dwgs, i still drafted my own by hand using real pencils... :biglaugh:

Most my interactions were with structural engineers  early in my construction career. then as i moved into supervising and building larger commercial structures and large projects that required land development, it opened the doors to a whole different breed of engineers. Geo-Tech's, mechanical, and electrical engineers entered the arena.... It was challenging taking the architects design factors, and watching how the structural engineers battled with the other engineers trying to get all the mechanical and electrical, and plumbing routed without jeopardizing structural integrity......  But you know who was always right in the center of it, with a pencil behind his ear ?   Yup.... The lead carpenter explaining why all this engineering wasn't going to work.   

You see these photos of construction sites with all the owners, architects, and engineers , and superintendents standing around a table listening to the carpenter that has to build this monstrosity. Yup...I was the guy in the center for years. Common sense, and experience trumps math sometimes. i wasn't popular in the engineering community.... :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©