Author Topic: Another 1st Bow of the New year!  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another 1st Bow of the New year!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 08:43:29 AM »
simk
I don't know how much you know about using horn for the belly :dunno:
I know a little about Horn bow making.
where the two pieces of horn butt together in the center of the handle there needs to be some kind of HARD dam  (Bone/Ivory) to stop the horn from migrating into each other.
I hope this bow holds up for you and the wood V splice does the job. :thumbsup:

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2024, 10:59:24 AM »
thank you MadMax - the so called "Celik" between the horn plates only has aesthtical reasons - at least if you read about in the holy book by A. Karpovitz. I have successsfully made a few atyptical hornbows without that gimmick and did not have problems. As already stated, my V-Splice in this case should better be an inch or so closer to the handle. This is a second prototype and learning object - I always follow the try and error method - she's my best teacher  :) Basically I still believe in the concept. My bow now goes to the archery club to be tortured by the whole crew and end speculations. Cheers 

Edit (for better understanding): Karpovitz explains as follows: "basically the horn does not know that the bending zones are working so hard and simply remains idle in its place"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 12:11:24 PM by simk »

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 11:49:16 AM »
Why is a Horn bow made with horn instead of wood, besides the fact that it's made from horn ?

The typical type of horn bow where the back is sinew covered and the belly is horn is done because those materials can take much more strain than wood can, so you can make a more extreme bow that stores more energy than a plain wood bow and has higher performance.

Mark

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 10:19:19 PM »
Where do you obtain hor material in long lengths like that? and What type of horns are used. Ive always een fascinated with horn bows, and the wild shapes they can be manipulated into under pressure  and still maintain torsional stability.  Some of those things would be a nightmare to get a string on them. :o :o
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 07:24:52 AM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 07:39:32 AM by Mad Max »
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 04:55:31 PM »
I have much admiration for the bowyers who glue together 3 or 5 pieces of wood, then after shaping that assembly they apply horn and sinew (let that sinew dry for  few weeks or months) to produce a world class bow with basic hand tools. Amazing patience and craftsmanship!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 07:55:29 PM by onetone »

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2024, 01:59:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,
...getting my hornstuff from Nick Nguyen for years now (find him on facebook). Very reliable  supplier. He runs a big Waterbuffalo Farm in Vietnam where they are crafting all sorts of things from horn (look up pufacraft). You also get flattened and hot pressed hornstrips that are easy to work with. It's much cheaper than the etsy stuff also. To get what you want its very important to make very clear what you want, then you get what you want.
Cheers

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2024, 07:46:00 AM »
Hi Kirk,
...getting my hornstuff from Nick Nguyen for years now (find him on facebook). Very reliable  supplier. He runs a big Waterbuffalo Farm in Vietnam where they are crafting all sorts of things from horn (look up pufacraft). You also get flattened and hot pressed hornstrips that are easy to work with. It's much cheaper than the etsy stuff also. To get what you want its very important to make very clear what you want, then you get what you want.
Cheers

That is the guy on F book :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©