Author Topic: Another 1st Bow of the New year!  (Read 2318 times)

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
Another 1st Bow of the New year!
« on: January 05, 2024, 10:16:27 AM »
Idk if this can be called a Hornbow - maybe in the wider sense 😀 but it's a project I have been carrying around with me for a while now, still a concept bow - prototype no2. A longbow according to the IAAF rules - 40# @ 28" - 63.5 ntn - Bamboo - maple - yew - horn. I'm pretty happy with this one, one of the faster bows I've built so far. 211fps/7gpp. Call it a successful experiment.

Happy new Year everybody!

EDIT:
I will call it ASL-semi-hornbow (ASLSH)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:06:19 PM by simk »

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st Bow of the New year! II
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 10:49:36 AM »

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another 1st Bow of the New year!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 02:16:20 PM »
Wow!   Is that dark horn material on the belly with a V splice on each end?  I will be curious how long that holds up.  Never seen anything like it.    :thumbsup:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 02:45:10 PM »
thanks Kirk! Yes, that's the big question  :smileystooges: for my liking especially that splice towards the fades is a little close to that bending zone - will move it an inch  or so on the next one. Lets see what happens with this one  :archer2:

Offline Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 02:50:18 PM »
Interesting build, good looker , pretty cool  :thumbsup:

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 02:57:01 PM »
Nice work :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 07:39:15 PM »
One of a kind for sure, trying something new and experimental. Way to go! And nice work.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 08:23:02 PM »
One of my Tn. Classic buddy's made a glass backed and horn belly a few years ago.
James Parker
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 10:05:21 PM »
Simk
Horn is defiantly better than belly glass, should be a fast shooter. :thumbsup:

EDIT    I guess I did not  understand, NO glass ? :knothead:

Nice work

« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:43:32 AM by Mad Max »
}}}}===============>>

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 10:53:07 PM »
Cool horn belly bow.  :thumbsup:  Will you post a profile full draw pic?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 09:16:57 AM »
Good looking rig, what's the conn rod out of?
High on Archery.

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 01:41:49 PM »
thanx guys. I'm stoked with that combo. I made horn/wood/sinew composites - its different without the sinew. this one after shooting just springs back in its full reflex whereas the horn/sinew composite takes a good while and creep back slowly. a sinew- glue-layer also is pretty heavy in mass. this one holds maybe 3 3/4" of Reflex. Obviously it was only roughly tillered, just by looking at it at brace and pulling in hand. Good to have this pic PatB so I can retiller that top limb a little.
cheers

crooked stic: conn rod? i dont get it 

mad max: I think I saw asian bowmakers make asiatic bows that way, calling them hybrids. It obviously must work. problem is that you might get a 20" hornstrip if you are lucky and its more work to to aquire and make...but horn is cool stuff when wood gets too weak...it works just perfect.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 01:59:02 PM by simk »

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 02:05:20 PM »
What kind of taper rate are you running in the core?

She’s coming off the fades a bit hard right where that V splice is located. You may want to use a little more forward taper, and add a power lam to get that bend a bit further out on the next one.   Kirk

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2024, 02:27:04 PM »
thanks for friendly asessment Kirkil (-; this one has a parallel midlam and - the only taper comes from the tapered bamboo and the pyramid shape. when it comes out of the form it bends too much out of the fades then I move the bend outwards towards the middle of the hornplate. I like the lower limb - its just what I want to see. But I will move the splice some more towards the grip. now the splice ends with the powerlam. thats too close, does not feeel comfortable. Simon

Edit: the first one I made was a full horn bellied (spliced horns), used same taper as always with the woodies, came out totally whip tillered, unlike a wooden bow. strange. finally tillered it and it was bending very evenly towards the outers. It showed bad handshock and bad cast. felt wobbly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:33:45 PM by simk »

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 02:51:42 PM »
simk
It was a short bow so he had plenty :thumbsup:
He makes a lot of Glass horn bows replica's .
And Horn bows also.
Bamboo back and belly bows (BBB)

}}}}===============>>

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 08:56:51 AM »
Despite being very lazy on that winter sunday I did sand a little on that top limb - maybe cost me 1 or max. 2 pounds. Even though self-praise stinks it looks pretty much perfect to me now for a horn-bellied bow. One major factor for the improvements seems to be a better leveled angle for the pic! The other one was taken a little from below....
cheers

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 11:23:08 AM »
Idk if this can be called a Hornbow - maybe in the wider sense 😀 but it's a project I have been carrying around with me for a while now, still a concept bow - prototype no2.

Beautiful work, as always Simon. Very interesting idea to replace the heavily worked belly wood with some tougher horn. How did you glue the horn into the lam, hide glue? The tiller looks fantastic in the last pic you posted.

EDIT    I guess I did not  understand, NO glass ? :knothead:

Horn is less stiff than most of our bow woods (probably pretty close to the yew that Simon used on the belly here) so the bamboo backing is lots to match with it, no FG required and much lighter limbs overall.

Mark

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 05:25:42 PM »
Why is a Horn bow made with horn instead of wood, besides the fact that it's made from horn ?
}}}}===============>>

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 03:19:52 AM »
Thanks Mark!
Not sure if I got your question right MadMax...?: Because I couldn't achieve the same results with wood. Wood wouldn't retain reflex the same - it would take set at these specs and that tiller - I couldn't get that same performance out of it - at least I think so.
cheers

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 08:13:00 AM »
Thanks Mark!
Not sure if I got your question right MadMax...?: Because I couldn't achieve the same results with wood. Wood wouldn't retain reflex the same - it would take set at these specs and that tiller - I couldn't get that same performance out of it - at least I think so.
cheers

:thumbsup:

That question was for mmattockx :)

}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©