Author Topic: Horn Tips  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
Horn Tips
« on: January 13, 2024, 12:11:27 AM »
What size of horn do you start with when gluing it to the bow tip. Height, width, and thickness. I bought some buffalo tips at the local pet store. Every time I shape them they do not look right or I should say good. I’ve seen some absolutely beautiful horn tips on here but mine are not close. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horn Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 08:10:25 AM »
Do you mean horn tip overlays on a wood-glass composite bow?  Or the socketed horn tips found on English style wooden longbows?
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 08:22:16 AM »
Do you mean horn tip overlays on a wood-glass composite bow?  Or the socketed horn tips found on English style wooden longbows?

+ long bows or recurves
I like my long bows to have longer tips

I do follow this for long bows but recurves not so much.
https://buildyourownbow.com/applying-the-designers-rule-of-thirds-to-tip-design/
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 10:40:26 AM »
Do you have the socket in the horn already? If not, take a 1/2" spare bit and grind the corners so it is shaped like this(>) and use it to drill the socket in the horn. Then, trace the outline of the bit on the bow tip, back and sides and shape the tip in a conical shape. With sandpaper sand both the bow tip and inside the socket until they fit tightly. Now, shape the horn tip to your liking and glue them on.
 I'll get a few pics later of the spade bit I ground for this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 01:40:07 PM »
Sorry, it was late when I sent this. I am trying to add horn tip overlays. I have two rectangle pieces of buffalo horn about 2” long 3/8” wide and 1/4” thick. I just wanted to know how big a piece a horn most people use for an overlay. Here’s a picture of what I mean. How big was this piece of horn before cutting the diagonal.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 02:18:10 PM »
Bow tips should be 1/2" wide on most bows so 3/8" is to narrow, but 2" long and 1/4" thick is good.
File your string groove about 1/8" or so deep leaving something for the string to set on.
Wider than the bow tip and longer, glued on then sand/file to shape
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 04:02:20 PM »
Is the photo above what your are doing? Or are you putting horn tip overlays on a glass backed limb? There is a different approach to each.   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 08:26:18 PM »
No. I was putting horn overlays on a wood bow. I have the beginning shape I what now. I just need to fix the glue joint, clean them up, and finish shaping them later. The bow design is from a 2009 build along from 4est Trekker (I believe that was the member name). The pictures keep getting cut off, you have to scroll left to see the whole picture.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:33:47 PM by Robyn Hode »

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 03:24:13 PM »
The 4est trekker board bow build is 1 of the best builds out there but photo bucket ruined it.
every time I google it there are no pictures over the years.
A chain saw file for sharpening blades is what you need to make the string groove.
Then with a rasp/file round over the top side of the horn to about half of the thickness of the horn.
Then round off the corners more.
Something like this.
NO SQUARE CORNERS

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 03:30:03 PM by Mad Max »
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©