Author Topic: 2024 What did you do today  (Read 35931 times)

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 What did you do today
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2024, 03:42:37 PM »
When the bow riser is crowned up from the belly with no throat, using a fixed peg against the riser can be dicey as the crown wants to slip off without warning. A shaped yoke that pivots on the upper peg works well, with the plus that it is less apt to mar the surface of a finished bow. Because the bows braced on this setup are really reflexed and want to twist sideways when being braced, I  put keeper disks on the ends of the dowels so nothing goes renegade. Two bottom pegs, so the fixture can used with short and “shorter” bows.

Like Kirk said, use 1” hardwood dowels.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 03:49:30 PM by onetone »

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2024, 04:28:54 PM »
When the bow riser is crowned up from the belly with no throat, using a fixed peg against the riser can be dicey as the crown wants to slip off without warning. A shaped yoke that pivots on the upper peg works well, with the plus that it is less apt to mar the surface of a finished bow. Because the bows braced on this setup are really reflexed and want to twist sideways when being braced, I  put keeper disks on the ends of the dowels so nothing goes renegade. Two bottom pegs, so the fixture can used with short and “shorter” bows.

Like Kirk said, use 1” hardwood dowels.
Joel,
After I posted the picture above showing my bracing pegs, I thought - "man the guys must think I am bracing some crazy heavy bow, (or I'm really weak) with my foot up on the bottom peg and leaning back"  Actually no - I do that because I've had the bottom limb slip off the peg like you mentioned.  I got to thinking, I should just cut some round disks and screw them to the end of the pegs - and viola' you post your pic with the same idea. A small project to knock out tonight.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2024, 07:55:54 PM »
 I don't know whether anyone noticed or not, and i failed to mention it in my short video.

But my 3/4" dowels are wrapped with a variety cushion material  and tape. i used pipe insulation on the top one and wrapped that with duct tape because using it on a freshly finished bow can definitely mar the finish using harder material. i wrapped one of the lower ones using rubber inner tube material which is hands down the best stuff for not slipping.  i used electrical tape over some thin foam on another one, and that works well too.

That is a pretty slick set up there onetone. :clapper:   

I had a portable one i built for going to 3D shoots years ago when i was stringing up 20 bows for a display each day that i used a foam covered  rocker block like yours, but mine was smaller and fit the throat of a grip. i don't build any bows with a  bulbous grip and no throat like that one you pictured. I would imagine you have different shaped pivot blocks?????    er no?   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2024, 08:24:46 PM »
Ain't real sure about usps of ups what takes so long.i just got an ILF bow from China Fex ex ordered last Thrus. was here today. 4 days from China
High on Archery.

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2024, 09:55:41 PM »
Kirk - I do have a rig that fits in the hitch tube on the truck which the bracer attaches to for mobile use. The yoke pictured works for most of the bows of that design, but I do have a couple of others when needed.

BTW you were the original source of the idea of bench bracing for me. I have one like yours for my standard sized recurves. Makes life easier, and in the case of the horse bows, safer too!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2024, 10:13:49 PM »
Well here is one that took two hands and a bead of sweat to brace today....  :o :o

Check out the draw weight on my new mini crane scale.... I was afraid to leave it at full draw to take the photo and risk it tearing my tiller block off the wall....LOL   btw.... The draw weight is perfect too... :o :o

Needless to say this old bowyer wont be getting this one to full draw....

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2024, 10:17:05 PM »
I guess that weight is hard to see.... try this

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2024, 08:34:23 AM »
Those are some wicked limbs, Kirk I’m guessing you have a beefed up G10 beam to keep it together ? not easy to find someone to test shoot that set of limbs. Well done.

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2024, 08:55:36 AM »
I’ve been busy playing with some ideas testing a couple different matte clears and limb designs. I gave it a rest yesterday, chopped up some bamboo, and I found this neat little piece of bubinga Should make some cool veneers.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2024, 10:13:25 AM »
That Bubinga should make some nice veneers, and your work is looking clean and crisp….. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2024, 12:01:52 PM »
Thanks Kirk,  I appreciate yours  and everyone else’s help  :thumbsup:

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2024, 01:42:42 PM »
Those are some wicked limbs, Kirk I’m guessing you have a beefed up G10 beam to keep it together ? not easy to find someone to test shoot that set of limbs. Well done.

Oh ya.... 3/8" thick G-10 I beam. with the HD Chromaply body.... Zero deflection.... Here is another one i built
for Martin last year about this time that has held up well.  This one also has a 21" riser and is cut 3/16" past center.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jjts4crze3FWJcZi7
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2024, 03:26:36 PM »
Great work Bryan.  :clapper:

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2024, 11:35:30 AM »
Well I got the heavy limbs balanced out on this bow and hit my 105 @ 30” perfectly.
She’s in the spray booth right now…. The light weight limbs came out 76 @ 28” and about 83@30”….

Here are a few pictures….

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QpFXCsL9qoqwoudw7

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2024, 01:06:39 PM »
Well done!
That sounds like it draws pretty smooth not gaining 3.5# per inch from 28-30 considering the draw weight.

I was always wondering who orders these heavy bows from Kirk. So I did a little digging around and found one of them.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2024, 02:51:51 PM »
I used to shoot heavy bows like this one years ago myself. I swung a 2 pound hammer for about 15 years 10 hours a day, and packed tons of lumber each day wood framing. Its amazing how much you can build your upper body strength. I shot 84 pounds until i was 55 years old and and had to tone it down a bit since then... I like my bows under 60# now at age 68 and still hunt 57@30. The guy i'm sending it to is only 180 pounds , but still in his 30's and in his prime.

I had fun when the boys started sniffing around wanting to date my daughter.... I told them if you want to date my daughter you need to be able to draw my bow.... The look on those boys face after trying it, and me taking the bow and telling them, "No... you are doing it wrong.... just draw it real slow like this.... "  and then id draw it slow and easy and watch their eyes....LOL   good sport! After the word got around the school i had a bunch of Audra's friends come around just to see if they could do it. Out of all those guys only one even got close....and that bow was only 84#. I had a 100# bow too, and gave that to my little brother. Isay that tongue in cheek too. My little brother is 6'4"  and 260# and can pick up a 327# wood stove like its a folding chair... :o :o :o    I was the runt of the litter. My other brother is 6'2 and 210-220# . I've never been over 180# even in my prime when i was ripped, and only 5' 11".

This bow hits the 60# mark at about 19-20" of draw and i do not have any 1000 grain arrows stiff enough to test shoot it at full draw on the shooting machine. But.... i doubt there is going to be any kinetic energy issues with this baby... :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2024, 03:34:06 PM »
I guess it's OK

:jumper:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2024, 09:26:07 PM »
Here she is after the riser is shaped with the heavy limbs at 28" draw.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 09:38:14 PM by Kirkll »
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2024, 08:13:42 AM »
That looks pretty darn good. What is your pad angle ?
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2024, 11:49:36 AM »
Limb pad angle is 16 degrees on the SS riser. This photo is braced a bit low at about 6.25” . It should be 6 3/4” to 7” and those limbs showing a wee bit more bend at brace. I’m using 14 strand Rhino string on this one, and it’s proven to be very stable string. But with these heavy draw weights, it sure tightens up the Flemish weave and settles in longer than a lighter limb does. I’ve seriously considered building some endless loop strings for this one, but haven’t done so…..   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©