Author Topic: 2024 What did you do today  (Read 36038 times)

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 What did you do today
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2024, 12:20:27 PM »
Some serious stuff. Looking great.

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2024, 01:16:59 PM »
But with these heavy draw weights, it sure tightens up the Flemish weave and settles in longer than a lighter limb does. I’ve seriously considered building some endless loop strings for this one, but haven’t done so…..   Kirk

Have you put an inline scale on those heavy bows to measure string tension? It's got to be tremendous!

I'm sure you have an endless loop jig, but I will throw this out there for those that don't. I found this 'El-Cheapo String Jig' instructions on Archery Talk last year. It's a super popular jig that I guy put together to really make professional quality strings.
I built this for less than $100 and have built several endless loop strings, but mainly use it to pre-stretch my flemish strings. I leave them on there overnight at around 300# and never have to worry about ANY string stretch moving forward.

Here is a link to the instructions that include the parts list.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1emLiwuZYNEVW81LP60wQclHOhRhXRHit/view?usp=drive_link
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 01:31:44 PM by Jon Lipovac »

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2024, 03:16:03 PM »
Jon
That looks like a string stretcher.
You said a endless loop Jig. :dunno: I'm thinking a jig to make endless loop strings.
This is the kind of jig I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=t1JS_kXXeVQ
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2024, 04:22:58 PM »
Yep, I know what you mean Max.
I would rather build strings with a 4 post design jig, but I couldn’t justify the price for as few strings as I plan on building. Those are nice since you can use a serving tool. Can you also stretch strings on your jig to a specified poundage? Or do you need a separate stretcher?

The way mine is set up you have to serve the ends by hand. What I like about it is you can build the string under high tension. It uses a specified valve spring that is rated at 300# at 1/8” compression.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2024, 04:44:27 PM »
Haa I got a redneck string stretcher. Two 3/8s bolts mounted in a hole on my work bench with a 7/16 s turn buckle.
High on Archery.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2024, 05:09:32 PM »
I made my endless jig.
Are you going to wrap that loop towards the center a few inches.
That blue spring is a Die spring, I have used many blue, red, some white with green strip.
Many colors for different #
I don't worry about FF type strings and do like Stic said for B50 type.

This is a nice DVD for building strings
https://www.3riversarchery.com/how-to-build-a-great-bowstring-dvd.html
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2024, 05:18:55 PM »
I built a nice 4 post endless loop string jig years ago from oak and 3/8" stainless steel rod for the goal posts. I used to take it to 3D shoots and build strings for folks while i was manning my display booth..... But... i found that I really hate building strings for some reason. But i keep a spool of string on hand, and serving materials just in case i need to build an odd ball, or run out of a certain length.

I prefer the flemish twist style, and have a string builder put together all my strings typically.

I would bet this 96 @ 28"  set of limbs  have close to 180 pounds on the string at brace. This thing isn't easy to get a string on it, even with my bench bracing system.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2024, 11:13:11 PM »
Max,
Correct the base of the end loops get served like normal

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2024, 07:29:08 AM »
Yes Jon the endless loop jigs are way to high and a pain in the back side to make. :banghead:
I have made maybe 10, One bow I made years ago needed a 3 to 4" loop so I made a jig.
I do not have any pictures of my jig.

Normal size for a recurve
}}}}===============>>

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2024, 11:00:11 AM »
Nice work on those rigid limb ends Mark.

Here’s an endless loop jig I made years ago. Six feet long with cross arms out of flat strap
1 1/2” x 1/4” x 10 3/4”. Would have preferred channel but there wasn’t any in the boneyard. Drilled and tapped for the threaded 1/2” posts. Used all-thread as I recall and turned the ends down and smooth. Posts are 9 3/4” apart center to center. It works fine, didn’t cost much and I have made many strings on it. Took some time to make though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 11:09:14 AM by onetone »

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2024, 01:34:37 PM »
Mine is Uni-strut also, but my cross bars are too. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 05:57:44 PM by Mad Max »
}}}}===============>>

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2024, 04:09:51 PM »
Shaping the next riser today and watched Kirk’s video on how he does his risers. I picked up a couple of things I can do to save some time, but I still feel like I have much more control with my rasps and files. Besides, this is the part where I get to have some fun watching these babies come to life!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 07:13:17 PM by Jon Lipovac »

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2024, 05:41:12 PM »
Looking good Jon, is that Bloodwood in the wedges?

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2024, 06:06:52 PM »
I like Finish shaping by hand too.
This is a Binghams Recurve, I made the riser a good bit smaller than original. ;)
Cocobolo and Canarywood

}}}}===============>>

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2024, 07:13:12 PM »
Nice risers guys! Fine work.  :shaka:  Gotta say I favor the handwork in shaping risers too.

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2024, 07:16:10 PM »
Good eye Bue.
I have taken to using Bloodwood for all my butt wedges. I like the consistency of it and it has become a 'signature' of my limbs.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2024, 08:15:52 PM »
Hey Jon,  Nothing wrong with using rasps and hand tools at all, just more elbow grease needed. I spent my first few years in woodworking doing everything by hand, and still have many of the planes, chisels, and even rasps I used 50 years ago. The old rasps have lost their edge and just don’t cut like a crisp new farriers rasp, but I can’t get myself to part with them.

With that being said…. Shaping a piece of Ebony by hand vs using sanders would be  brutal and slow going, and I’d rather sand 36 grit sanding marks out, than those deep gouges of the rasp.

But using power tools to save time takes practice and getting your moves down Pat. You can screw things up much quicker too.  You learn pretty quickly when it’s time to use your sanding blocks and leave the damn palm sander alone….    You do nice work…. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2024, 10:59:03 AM »
Agreed.
Thanks brother.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2024, 10:07:58 PM »
Well i finally ran out of full EA 40 tubes, so it's time to lock and load, an get more tubes filled. I just got a couple more gallons in Mid week, but wanted to keep it in the house where it's warm for a few days to make this process easier. 4 days at 65 degrees did the trick nicely.

Besides just making the whole mixing process easier, these caulking tubes eliminate all exposure to air and dust particles. I think this system would increase longevity for guys that do not use a lot of it too.  For me... I just like how handy it is mixing glue with no mess. two squirts of A and one squirt of B  and you get a real nice mix that is pretty consistent..

Here are a couple short film clips showing the process.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ag2u4Zas8Ui9zaW99

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UdRMWKQSz59u6fqH8
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2024, 08:26:44 AM »
Looks like a sticky situation  :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Smguinnip, Kirkll, 4 point, onetone, Bryan Adolphe, Richard Korte, jrzeuske, garyschuler and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©