Author Topic: 2024 What did you do today  (Read 34124 times)

Offline KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 What did you do today
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 01:24:08 PM »
I lived in Salem and worked in Portland for a few years back in the 90s.  In 6 or 7 years we go 4.5" of snow; and 4" of that was one storm.  One year there was a 100 year flood on the Columbia and Willamette rivers too.

Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 03:33:39 PM »
Well here in the Willamette valley around the Portland / Salem area they are definitely not prepared for this cold stuff. We’ve been jumping from +16 - +28 for the last 4 days and a lot of high winds. but it’s turned into an ice storm the last day or so making going anywhere or doing anything impossible, or just down right stupid to try driving in. Hell…. It’s so slick outside I’m having a tough time getting wood in the house to keep th3 wood stove going.

But….. we are up to 32 this morning and it’s starting to drip out there. We even have a promise of rain coming to wash out all the ice. I can live with that. There are thousands of people here without power becaus
e of downed trees, and trying to stay warm….. I’m hoping it’s done for awhile.    Kirk

4 degrees this morning but 30 or so for today, tomorrow will get to 36 around lunch.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2024, 07:00:12 PM »
Making wood arrows.

Bue,  do you make the shafts?  They look great 👍

Got up to 44f today.  That's more like normal these days.  Colorado: the new Arizona.   :biglaugh:
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 05:02:16 AM »
I can not recall having so much snow in such a short time. Combined with strong north east wind the load on the roofs get very uneven, so I had to get up there. Here you can see the result. Luckily it is not that bad all around.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2024, 05:07:18 AM »
Longcruise, I do not make the shafts.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2024, 07:44:42 AM »
Dang Bue, you could use some global warming about now!! :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2024, 08:10:37 AM »
Hm, global warming has not reached my place for sure. Strange weather though, unusual cold January so far and next week will be warm. Will be a mess when all the snow starts melting. I am considering applying for a Tahitian citizenship, I heard they get free bananas and coconuts.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I live on the third floor. ;)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2024, 08:21:57 AM »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I live on the third floor. ;)

:laughing:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2024, 10:38:12 AM »
Started the day as I often do.... reading the funnies.  Every now and then something of archery relevance.

"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2024, 11:35:15 AM »
LOL  :laughing:  Non Sequitur is one of the best!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2024, 11:54:35 AM »
  Well what i did this morning was finally make it back out to the shop without busting my arse on the ice. It's been above 40 and raining for about 18 hours and there are still sheets of ice an inch thick on my sidewalk going to the shop. i had to walk in the grass to get out here 30 yards.  I was going stir crazy in the house, but the shop doesn't heat well after it drops into the mid 20's being a non insulated pole barn. once it gets above freezing i can keep it 50-60 degrees in here easily without running the ball bearings off my heater. Trying to heat it in extreme cold weather is too expensive.

I've got all this bamboo to mill, and the table saw area isn't heated. it's on the other side of my arctic curtain. i think i can handle 40 degrees for an hour or so, so i'm going for it.     

Man that is a lot of snow Bue. :o :o :o    I wish we would have had snow instead of all this ice.

Kirk

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2024, 09:15:36 PM »
I shaped up some patriotic tips on my latest project.  Something different - I think I actually like it.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2024, 08:50:31 AM »
Used the table this time instead of free handing the 3 1/4 hp router worked great for the short forms, and a new form for back overlays on a new riser…. Dry run looked good .

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2024, 11:22:54 AM »
Used the table this time instead of free handing the 3 1/4 hp router worked great for the short forms, and a new form for back overlays on a new riser…. Dry run looked good .

Yep, I always get a low spot somewhere on the form using a hand held router, just a little one irks me. I fill it with some Smooth-on and sand it with some kind of lam as a backer. :banghead:
I don't really have room for a router table for now but would like one.
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2024, 01:01:49 PM »
I got a router table set up years ago just for forms.
High on Archery.

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2024, 02:03:05 PM »

Yep, I always get a low spot somewhere on the form using a hand held router, just a little one irks me. I fill it with some Smooth-on and sand it with some kind of lam as a backer. :banghead:
I don't really have room for a router table for now but would like one.
Yes, this one’s pretty simple built-in to the side of my table Saw it’s a Lee valley Insert works good for a big router and well supported And then I built a clamp on fence, vacuum attachment when needed. I’ve had it for years , it’s an inexpensive router table.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2024, 02:39:35 PM »
I set one up years ago myself with a big router and big cutters with 1/2” shank bits.
I played with shaping riser blocks with it prior so setting up a pattern sander, and I wouldn’t recommend it.  Too much grain tear out in spots, and climb cutting by hand with an open cutter like that is not a good option. It’s seriously dangerous.

They work great for a lot of applications though, and are perfect for forms. Just be careful with that thing… it’s a man eater.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2024, 02:44:16 PM »
I set one up years ago myself with a big router and big cutters with 1/2” shank bits.
I played with shaping riser blocks with it prior so setting up a pattern sander, and I wouldn’t recommend it.  Too much grain tear out in spots, and climb cutting by hand with an open cutter like that is not a good option. It’s seriously dangerous.

They work great for a lot of applications though, and are perfect for forms. Just be careful with that thing… it’s a man eater.
Oh yes shes 1/2” x 2” with some serious rpm s.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2024, 09:23:59 PM »
Years back I thought I was gonna cut a big hog by using the router table for profiling. Was doing an Osage piece and got to a point and the router grabbed the Osage ripped it apart threw it against the wall with authority. I had sore fingers for awhile. Considered myself lucky and setup the 6x80 for profiling.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2024, 05:39:05 PM »

Oh yes shes 1/2” x 2” with some serious rpm s.

I have several spiral cutters , wing cutters, and some big 1.25” straight cutters too.
The best one I found was the larger diameter bit with the larger flush bearing. They don’t heat up like the small diameter bits do, and the bearings last longer. 
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Switchensticks, chefrvitale, Burnsie, onetone and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©