Author Topic: 2024 What did you do today  (Read 35504 times)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 What did you do today
« Reply #360 on: June 10, 2024, 06:14:58 PM »
One more re
High on Archery.

Online Susquehannariverarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2024, 04:40:03 PM »
Today I got an all zircote bow strung up. Only shoot it once in the pouring rain. It shoots well so far. Although grip is uncomfortable as well as ugly.

Bow came out 2 lbs under goal weight and I'm ok with that since it was my first time milling my own lams.

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2024, 09:40:56 PM »
Finished the daughter in law’s birthday bow-purpleheart/osage w angle cut charcoal spectraply veneers and finally got around to putting some finish on mine-bocote w purpleheart Ibeam and quilted maple overlay.
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: June 25, 2024, 05:38:51 PM »
Looking very nice.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2024, 05:44:11 PM »
Just finished my new bowshop with indoor firepit for firehardening bow bellies.

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2024, 06:28:04 PM »
Bue, that is fantastic! A truly beautiful and inspiring workspace!  :clapper: Even if you are joking
around with us, the architecture remains impressive!  :thumbsup:

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2024, 06:46:19 PM »
One can always dream. It is from Leire in Denmark. A reconstruction of a large hall from Viking age, a fantastic build.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2024, 11:46:02 PM »
Beautiful building….  :clapper: :clapper:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: June 26, 2024, 02:44:39 PM »
Ya had me there for a minute.   :biglaugh:
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online garyschuler

« Reply #369 on: June 26, 2024, 09:59:14 PM »
I was like Damn - Kirk cleaned his Shop !!! Lol 😂
Gary Schuler

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: June 27, 2024, 09:35:59 AM »
Those carved columns are very fine!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: June 27, 2024, 03:01:58 PM »
I was like Damn - Kirk cleaned his Shop !!! Lol 😂

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:    Actually i DID clean my shop Gary... But it dont look THAT good...
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online garyschuler

« Reply #372 on: June 27, 2024, 03:17:03 PM »
Got ya Bud. I saw that Beautiful shop and know you have finish Carpentry skills.
I should do that to mine when i get it cleaned out sometime in my next lifetime. !!!
Gary Schuler

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: June 27, 2024, 05:14:49 PM »
A couple more pics. Hall is 60 meter long.

Online garyschuler

« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2024, 05:39:42 PM »
That is an outstanding
Craftsmanship right there!!
Gary Schuler

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2024, 09:11:28 PM »
The time alone in just those wood carvings represents a lot of hours of skilled labor. In modern days of cnc woodcarving machines, this type work is underappreciated, and rarely done by hand...
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: June 27, 2024, 09:47:31 PM »
Ya beautiful work there. 👌

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: June 27, 2024, 11:35:54 PM »
And dig that boardwalk guys.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: July 01, 2024, 07:06:26 PM »
Well today I had to clean up a mess on a perfectly good bow. I have a combo of rosewood and curly maple on this baby I’m trying to get finished and decided to use a product specially designed for popping the grain figure in curly maple.

So after all the finish sanding was done I wiped down the whole bow with this stuff so I would get the overlays and limb edges all evenly colored…..At first it didn’t seem to do anything….So I wiped on a second coat, and went in the house to get me another cup of Joe….. By the  time I got back to the shop… the whole bow had turned black. :o :o :o   You could barely see the grain in the rosewood and the maple was seriously dark…… I just about puked…. What happened? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

So I spent two hours carefully sanding the stuff off after it had dried completely and decided to go a different route. So I got out some golden oak stain I’d used in th3 past to darken up the maple a bit, and didn’t effect the rosewood at all…. Great! Looked beautiful! I decided to let the stain dry over night before clear coating, which is always a good thing to do.

So this morning I head back to the shop thinking I’d be spraying first thing only to find that the stain didn’t dry completely…… :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Now I’m getting a little bent out of shape here… this dad burn bow refuses to give me a break and relent to getting finished….. So I’m thinking about what is the best step going forward here. I know better than introducing a solvent into the mix, but I’ve got extra stain that is like a sticky film in spots all over the whole bow.

So I ended up getting a bunch of clean rags of different consistency first. Some sweat shirt material, some old long John material, and some other stuff very soft like micro fiber cloth. I approached this mess like sanding and started with coarse cloth to remove the excess, then slowly polished it out with finer cloth by hand. I’m talking two hours of hand rubbed polishing to get it looking good and finally dry to to the touch again…..

At this point I’m spooked about spraying clear coating at all, and half tempted to just let it dry another day and use furniture polish on it….but….those type finishes just don’t hold up well over time without a lot of maintenance. So I decided to just hang it in the spray booth leave the lights on and let it cure at 90 degrees over night, and spray it tomorrow…..

You think I would learn to leave staining  alone when it comes to these bows. I swore years ago I’d never stain another riser after a similar nightmare occurred by trying to touch sand between coats of clear and went through the stain… That was a whole different nightmare there I won’t go into…

Moral of story here guys…..If you ever feel the urge to stain your riser and limb edges, immediately leave the building, go fishing, or shoot your bow until you get that stupid notion out of your head.  Save yourself some grief….   Kirk

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #379 on: July 01, 2024, 10:01:57 PM »
Yes sir I just had a guy wanting maple stained. I said no it wont work good as stabilizing with dye. I had to stain a drop and send him pics. Seems one can't not enough and before you know it it's just a mess.  :dunno:
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©