Author Topic: 2024 What did you do today  (Read 36032 times)

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 What did you do today
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2024, 03:06:05 PM »
I used the serving material for a long time and like the nock thread much better.
High on Archery.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2024, 03:08:42 PM »
I like the thread way better.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2024, 03:18:23 PM »
Today i had a first in the shop.... I finally built a set of recurve limbs that exceeded my scales 100# weight capacity. :o :o :o    I've got a set that is supposed to come in at 105-110 @ 30" and needed to order another scale this morning....

I've got the light weight set i'm balancing out now at about 80@28". I'm going to have to beef up my tiller tree rigging a bit and wait on the new scale before i get the heavy set at full draw.

You want to talk about a bow that is a bit tough to string?  I can't even imagine doing this with a regular bow stringer.... The system i use  easily strings 60-70# bows with one hand on the limb. These heavy limbs require two hands to get them bent enough to get the string on them.

This one has a 21" riser length with a 3/8" thick I beam and has a ChromaPly body.   Zero riser deflection at 100#.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2024, 03:50:23 PM »
 :o
2 rollers and a winch with cable, pull the riser down. James Parker has one for testing new squirrelly glass horn bows.

o                     o

*----|

Send me the light weight 1 :laughing:

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2024, 05:21:03 PM »
That is some serious stuff. Do you have to use thicker bolts than the usual 5/16 for such heavy stuff?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2024, 06:34:07 PM »
I’ve actually got a compound riser press with two rollers, boat winch, and cable. I used it a lot in the mid 90’s tweaking speed bows with different cams and limbs.

But…those bow presses are designed for compound bows that are around 36” axel to axel and still somewhat look like a bow.

You would think it would work on traditional bows, but it doesn’t. It puts too much pressure mid limb and they blow up…. Of course I learned that the hard way when I first started building bows.

This thing wouldn’t work on the  newer compound bows either with short parallel limbs. It’s pretty much obsolete now and collects dust.

Bue Maker,   I use the same 5/16-18 threaded inserts and bolts, but they are tapped into the G-10 I beam. So no worries there. But the thing I did learn about these 100# plus limbs is that besides using .050 glass, they need a thin layer of G-10 on the bottom of the limb where it bolts to the riser. These extend past the riser a wee bit to protect the glass at that hinge point…..

I had one set actually fracture the glass at the end of the riser and break a solid rock hard maple wedge at the end of the riser. :o :o :o I had the end of the riser rounded over nicely too, but it was too much pin point pressure for the glass.

The limbs I’m building now I’m using the HD Chromaply for wedges in vertical grain profile. These wedges should be stronger than maple by far. I honestly thought about using G-10 for wedge material and even ground a couple to test out. But… the stuff is way too stiff to use for a wedge at 1/4” to nothing in 12” . Maybe you could use a power lam system with one G-10 power lam along side a hardwood PW.  I haven’t tried that yet.      Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2024, 10:56:11 AM »
Kirk thats cool! Im just starting an 85# hill build- I use to be able to string a bow that heavy but i doubt i can now- i remember a couple dowels you used on the side of the workbench. can you share pics and what the spacing was? much appreciated.
Stagmitis

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2024, 11:27:52 AM »
Kirk thats cool! Im just starting an 85# hill build- I use to be able to string a bow that heavy but i doubt i can now- i remember a couple dowels you used on the side of the workbench. can you share pics and what the spacing was? much appreciated.

I know I did a short video on this stringer set up of mine, but I can’t find the damn thing. I can do another one for you easy enough. This thing takes all the fight out of tillering by easily stringing and unstringing these heavier draw weight bows.   

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2024, 02:31:03 PM »
If it’s not too much trouble kirk- it’s know it takes time to do
Stagmitis

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2024, 02:53:44 PM »
Get yourself  some 1 in. Wood Dowell. Use a paddle bit and drill holes in the end of your work bench in such a way the bottom limb goes under one Dowell and the throat of the grip over the other Dowell. If your talking real heavy bows you may want the top limb where you can use body weight to push down the top limb. Got no pics of mine tho.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2024, 07:28:09 PM »
If it’s not too much trouble kirk- it’s know it takes time to do

No big deal I’ll do a clip a little later today…. I’ve got a clogged up sink in the house that needs my undivided attention right now and snake to get it flowing again. Liquid plumber failed miserably….. :banghead: :banghead:     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2024, 09:39:59 PM »
Well i failed miserably at the drain clog trials and need to go give it another go.... but i was able to get a quick video of my bow stringing system.

Here ya go....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7dBw2ehLASdwcsC27
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2024, 10:58:16 PM »
Cool bracing set up, Kirk.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2024, 11:08:49 PM »
A couple off-set dowels drilled into the side of my work bench. It really helps when continually taking the string on and off while tillering.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2024, 12:24:57 AM »
Well what I gotta do tomorrow is really ugly….my snake was only 16’ long and didn’t get the clog out of the kitchen drain…. Tomorrow I do a commando crawl under the house and hope I put another clean out access in that ABS line when I plumbed it in back in 2001. If not I’ll be cutting pipes and installing one…. Man I hate plumbing adventures…. :banghead: :banghead: :knothead:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2024, 02:03:56 PM »
Today, Marcia and I celebrated 46 years of marriage. Hard to believe it's been that long.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2024, 02:32:01 PM »
Congrats!!!!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2024, 10:11:35 AM »
Wow!   46 years is outstanding!….

My wife and I have 42 years together coming up this year. But that included two years of time trials living together.  Our actual 40 th wedding anniversary is in August…..  where did all that time go?    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2024, 11:38:30 AM »
Thanks to Kirk,burnsie and Stic for the dowel stringer! :shaka:
Stagmitis

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2024, 02:58:03 PM »
Thanks to Kirk,burnsie and Stic for the dowel stringer! :shaka:

Just be sure and use good hardwood dowel stock and no cheap broom handles.... I use oak dowels myself.   
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Kirkll, 4 point, onetone, Bryan Adolphe, Richard Korte, jrzeuske, Smguinnip, garyschuler and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©