Author Topic: New D/R  (Read 2145 times)

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
New D/R
« on: January 17, 2024, 07:34:31 AM »
Hi, its the Swiss again!
I had made several D/R bows over the years but was never 100% satisfied. So I reworked the middle section again. Got it now :bigsmyl: It's 36#@28" and measures 64" tip to tip. Wood is White Ash, french pear and Osage (with a powerlam from Amarello). Shot 7.00 gpp 209 fps (@39#, before final tiller....tough) and 182fps 10gpp.
Cheers
Simon

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 07:42:04 AM by simk »

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New D/R
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 07:39:54 AM »

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 08:05:45 AM »
Nice work :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 09:49:49 AM »
If thr 182 is at 28 in draw you pretty much got it figured out.
High on Archery.

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 11:03:44 AM »
Beautiful bow and exquisite detail work, Simon.

What are you using for glue to do your laminating? Did you steam the belly lams to get them to fit the ramp of the fades or were they flexible enough to just clamp in place?

Mark

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 11:13:46 AM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Stic, this one is a pretty conservative glueup - keeping maybe 1 to 0" reflex after shooting in. Could be done much more aggressive. I don't do that anymore - no need. 28" draw.
Mark, I do use some sort of cheaper white carpenters pva glue. Reading the ingridients its similar to titebond. I do my glueup with a gauge solid enough to just press those laminates into the ramps - works up to 2/8"  :)

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 11:21:33 AM »
Good looking shape on that one. :thumbsup:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 03:36:11 PM »
All wood laminated bow, I've always wanted to build some :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 04:48:30 PM »
Very nice bow. Very fast too! 👍🏻
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 06:52:12 PM »
Gonna make Roy jealous!  :biglaugh:
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 12:19:17 PM »
I don't think i'd recommend shooting too many 7 gpp arrows through that baby. That's tough on any bow shooting those light weight shafts.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 02:28:56 PM »
Roy makes a fine d/r all the time  :clapper:

Maybe the low gpp problems are a glass specific thing. Since making bows I have not had one laminated bow fail in the gluelines. I'd say a good wooden bow (self or laminated) easy takes 5gpp without problems. The other question is weather its a comfy shooting. I would say glueing wood to wood makes a totally uncritical bond whereas glueing glass must be very tricky compared to. However using wood for bows is critical per se out of other reasons - we struggle with failures in compression and somtimes tension.... jm2c  :wavey: 

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 01:57:34 PM »
Roy makes a fine d/r all the time  :clapper:

Maybe the low gpp problems are a glass specific thing. Since making bows I have not had one laminated bow fail in the gluelines. I'd say a good wooden bow (self or laminated) easy takes 5gpp without problems. The other question is weather its a comfy shooting. I would say glueing wood to wood makes a totally uncritical bond whereas glueing glass must be very tricky compared to. However using wood for bows is critical per se out of other reasons - we struggle with failures in compression and somtimes tension.... jm2c  :wavey:
You may be right about the wood bows being more forgiving on low gpp arrow weights. I don't build all wood bows very often.

The issues that come into play using glass or carbon backing is the dramatic difference in compression differences between the composite and wood. You rarely have issues on the back of the limb under tension, but the belly side is a different story.

What type of wood laminations used under carbon on the belly side of the bow makes a huge difference. The carbon doesnt compress at all, and typically buckles and shears the bond between wood and carbon in limbs with shorter working limb length. It's a must having a hard maple belly lam that has good compression ratings to hold up. But even then....Carbon on the belly side of a recurve or R/D hybrid long bow is dicey.    Glass on the other hand is more forgiving in compression, and much more durable than an all wood bow. Just the fact that humidity levels , and MC levels on glass bows are not an issue, and can be left strung up for long periods of time with very little, if any string follow or poundage loss has made the use of glass so popular. Longevity is far superior too.

But i admire you guys building bows from just wood. It's an art form in itself.     Kirk   

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 07:02:16 PM »
I don't think i'd recommend shooting too many 7 gpp arrows through that baby. That's tough on any bow shooting those light weight shafts.

Olympic archers shoot nothing but arrows that light and their limbs last many, many thousands of shots. Those limbs are now made with carbon and foam cores, but they used to be fibreglass with maple cores and those worked fine as well.

Mark

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 08:44:57 PM »
Well i can't argue that with you Mark. Quite honestly i don't really know a lot about Oly rigs.

Most custom bowyers i know recommend 9-10 gpp arrows for their glass and carbon limbed bows built for hunting, and only warranty them down to 8 gpp.  That's what i tell my customers too.... the lighter the gpp, the closer it comes to dry firing a bow.

I wish you the best of luck in longevity shooting light weight arrows in your wood bows....  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 10:36:28 AM »
Most custom bowyers i know recommend 9-10 gpp arrows for their glass and carbon limbed bows built for hunting, and only warranty them down to 8 gpp.

I didn't know that. The heavier arrows are certainly easier on the limbs. Your limbs may be stressed more than the Olympic style bows. They are optimized more for a smooth draw cycle and easy, consistent shooting than ultra high performance.

Mark

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 04:03:35 PM »
That is very nice looking.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2024, 07:14:04 PM »
simk
Here are some all wood bows from a Trad Ganger a few years back, Little ben I think, someone help me out?

}}}}===============>>

Offline simk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 07:42:05 AM »
Thanks Max - these wooden bows seem well made! From time to time I think about making something with glass - then again I think about the the glass dust and that's not what I want to have in my working space - rather gamble with the imperfection of wood (-;
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 07:52:39 AM by simk »

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2024, 08:58:13 AM »
Thanks Max - these wooden bows seem well made! From time to time I think about making something with glass - then again I think about the the glass dust and that's not what I want to have in my working space - rather gamble with the imperfection of wood (-;

Yep he did a very good job on these. :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©