Author Topic: Band Saw Blade - Storage  (Read 1396 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Band Saw Blade - Storage
« on: January 25, 2024, 01:16:44 PM »
I bought a new JET bandsaw a little over a year ago and have been using it quite a bit.  Last time I ordered blades for it, I got a few extra to have on hand, and to cut down on repeated minimum shipping charges.  I have the extras hanging from a peg on my shop wall. When I looked at them the other day, I noticed they had developed a fine layer of surface rust on them. 
I'm guessing once they cut a few pieces of wood the rust will clean up, but I'm hoping it doesn't affect the cutting performance of the brand new blades.  Any tips on how you store your blades and keep the rust from forming on them??  Spray them with some corrosion inhibitor?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Band Saw Blade - Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 03:49:37 PM »
Keep them in you house or somewhere dry.
I don't think I would spray anything on them
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 11:10:02 AM »
I don’t think I’d spray anything on them either. You could end up transferring oil or silicone to your wood pretty easily.

I don’t think I’ve ever had band saw blades rust up on me before, and here in Oregon , everything gets rusty…..makes me wonder what type of blades you are buying….   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 11:11:57 AM »
I don’t think I’d spray anything on them either. You could end up transferring oil or silicone to your wood pretty easily.

I don’t think I’ve ever had band saw blades rust up on me before, and here in Oregon , everything gets rusty…..makes me wonder what type of blades you are buying….   Kirk

I got these blades from Timber Wolf.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 11:13:24 AM »
The blades aren't crazy rusty, but have that fine rusty haze like film on them.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 11:44:58 AM »
The blades aren't crazy rusty, but have that fine rusty haze like film on them.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Timber wolf makes a good blade. Just take your spares in the house and store them in a drier environment. 
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 12:43:52 PM »
I’m not sure if it’s still available, but they used to sell a treated paper that you would put in your toolbox or gun safe to prevent the contents from getting rusty.
If you can get some, you could keep the blades tightly coiled in a bag with the paper.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 02:06:50 PM »
I’m not sure if it’s still available, but they used to sell a treated paper that you would put in your toolbox or gun safe to prevent the contents from getting rusty.
If you can get some, you could keep the blades tightly coiled in a bag with the paper.
Dave.

Rice paper…. Just a bag of rice itself will pull moisture out. You ever get electronics wet, that’s what I do to dry them out.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©