3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Schafer Silvertip  (Read 952 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Schafer Silvertip
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
Wooo-hooooooo!

G'day! After a patient wait of eleven or so months, my Schafer Silvertip take-down recurve arrived on Friday!

It was hard to concentrate on the job on Friday, with the knowledge that the delivery truck would be calling at home and leaving a note at some stage. At recess time, I went up to the staffroom for a cuppa, and one of the office ladies brought in a bouquet arrangement of a single sunflower, some ribbons and wrapping, and a couple of balloons - as well as a bow made of cane and fishing line! I knew instantly one of my workmate's was up to mischief! Christine's on maternity leave, and I suppose I deserved it for likening my waiting time to her pregnancy in terms of the anticipation and the emotions involved! Anyway, I soon called my wife (Simone), as she'd said that she'd pop past the house when she had a minute at work to check for delivery notes - she'd checked, but found nothing, or so she told me! I later found that she and my workmate had planned all this monkey business when they were at volunteer ambulance training the night before! A couple of hours later, my mate Shep the janitor brought in a big long box, and my hopes rose momentarily, but the box was too dodgy-looking - I opened it to find a bent bit of steel rod with some thin line as the string (the ratbags!). And, just as the lunch bell went, and I was dealing with the serious business of some upset students, Christine and Shep walked in to the classroom with a proper UPS box! I had it on my lap, so close yet so far! I didn't have time to open it, as I had to drive a busload of kids over for interschool sports for the afternoon! You can imagine the torture! Anyway, Shep promised to keep it under lock and key in his office, and at the end of the day (finally) I put my bike on the back of his ute, and he dropped me home, where I was able to open the box at last!

Here's a picture of the floral / balloon arrangement and the ersatz bows:

Here's a photo of the real box:

TGMM - Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Schafer Silvertip
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:14:00 AM »
Well, I unpacked it and admired it and set it up and shot it. It is an amazing piece of fine, top-quality craftsmanship! Dave Windauer is a first-class bowyer, for sure! He hit my requested weight of 80 pounds at 28 inches. The bow is 62 inches AMO, and is the fastflite model with a walnut stained riser and checkered grip. The limbs are Russian Olive.

My arrows are about 805 grains worth of Douglas Fir, including the 190 grain tips (Ribteks and Tuskers for broadheads). They are 115 pounds spine from  www.surewoodshafts.com  (wonderful and helpful people) and made for me by TradGanger Joe Lorenzen (an excellent arrowsmith - Thanks, Joe!). They fly really nicely and look superb! And thanks to Braveheart Archery for pointing me to the shaft supplier and the arrow maker!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »
It was meant to be just a practice-and-show-off-the-new-bow session with Dave, but you wouldn't believe what happened! We bumped into a pink lion in his backyard! I missed it's boiler room, but spined it, thus saving the day!

As if that wasn't enough, a little while later, an enormous whitetail stag showed up! I put an arrow straight through his neck! A real wall-hanger, for sure!

TGMM - Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »
Today it was time to try the bow out on some big, dangerous game. My heart was pounding as I stalked in on the brute. To be honest, I was wondering if I should've ordered a hundred-pounder instead. But, I calmed myself enough to make the shot. It was a clean, one-arrow kill!

(BTW - it's a feral cane toad, and very destructive to the native animals that try to eat it, due to the poison glands on found on the back)
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
Ben,

Congratulations on the new member to your family - of bows, that is!  It sure is a beauty and you shoot it well.  I will look forward to some more articles and posts as the two of you chase game.

Let us know what your emotions and anticipations are when the little Kleinig arrives.  I bet you will be soaring!

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
That's awesome Ben! This must be one of the most fun-to-read threads about a new bow so far! The bow is a beauty! Dave builds some amazing bows hey! Hope you enjoy it mate! Congrats!
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 03:23:00 AM »
Awesome.

I love the scence of humor your fellow friends seem to have.

That makes things fun.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:48:00 AM »
ha ha yes! Ben iv been waiting for this like a little boy for Christmas!   :bigsmyl:    good on ya and Congrats

Dave is a Quality bowyer, one of the best IMO.

man at 80lbs with fast flight it must smoke and arrow.   :eek:  

so tell me when you gonna go chase some Buff with it?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Nice bow, it's one I'll order soon.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Very nice bow. Looking foward to seeing some pics of the upcoming hunting season..  :clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Wow...great post and pics.  Just like being there.  Beautiful bow and great shooting!  Continue to shoot her in good health.    :thumbsup:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Congratulations Ben! great choice in Recurves, best recurve on the market IMO! It's got an awesome blend of speed accuracy quiet and inherent stability that tops most other recurves. not to mention that Dave and Beth are wonderful people . Have a great time shooting and hunting.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Gotta love the silvertips! Have fun with her. Love the pics you are always posting, cant wait to see what she brings down.

J

Impressive toad there by the way, deserves a place on the mantle.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Nice bow Ben. I have one very similar with antler knobs. I must say though the frog shot is just showing off  :notworthy:
DonD

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Beautiful bow Ben, hope it brings you years of enjoyment.
Burnsie
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Can't believe you didn't get a clean pass through on the little brute with an 80# bow and 800grn arrows. Better sharpen up those broadheads before you try for another.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Congrats on the new TIP. FINE BOWS & FINE PEOPLE.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline pucci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Ben, I can see you're really happy with the new toy. 11 months seems too long to wait, the bowyer must be really busy. I was going to point at the lack of penetration but mikecc did it first!
I can confess that a silvertip is in my wishlist.

Congratulations and enjoy the bow!

José.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Pucci,

Yall didn't know that cane toads are armor plated, arrow resistant? thought the whole world knew bout them. Australians gave up on frog legs cause a gig wouldn't penetrate em. Not to mention how tough the legs are.

No go buy the only bow known for being able to penetrate cane toad armor! (might go with a 85lber though 80 is lookin a little weak.)

Beware the cane toad!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
I'll bet you Ben... $5.00; a cup of tea & two peices of toast with vegemite on 'em that you did not eat that toad after the kill...LOL!

Well done on the new bow mate, nothing like opening a box with a new bow inside. I keep the boxes now!

We'll have to do some hunting mate, soon.

Regards,

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©