Author Topic: Limb taper  (Read 7764 times)

Online OldRawhide42

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb taper
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 08:56:06 AM »
I use tape and a straight edge. But i use a sharp blade and cut the tape to mark it. Then pull off the tape on the edge.. it stops the fuzz and you can see the limb shape .

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2024, 08:56:30 AM »
Thanks Kirk. And yeah that's this issue I was running into. The tape was getting all gummed up and frayed making it a pain to follow the line. I'm gonna try the template next time. Looks like yours are full length, I'm guessing that's more accurate.

use 120 grit to un curl the tape, 45 degrees to the corner, this will cut the tape on the corners so you can see the lines. you have to keep doing this :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Susquehannariverarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 11:21:31 AM »
Great idea Max. Simple but very effective. Might have to try that on the next one.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 01:07:33 PM »
Great idea Max. Simple but very effective. Might have to try that on the next one.

:thumbsup: :bigsmyl:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online OldRawhide42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 01:28:23 PM »
I use tape and a straight edge. But i mark it with a sharp blade. Then I take the tape off the side of the limb.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2024, 02:37:12 PM »
The cool part about painting your outline from a template rather than using tape and a knife or razor to cut it,  is that if you want to leave those limbs a little wide for extra draw weight or stability, the paint sands off easier than a etched line with a knife..... It's a hell of a lot faster, and saves a lot of masking tape too.  food for thought.   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online OldRawhide42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2024, 02:41:53 PM »
I am going to try that Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2024, 07:03:30 PM »
The cool part about painting your outline from a template rather than using tape and a knife or razor to cut it,  is that if you want to leave those limbs a little wide for extra draw weight or stability, the paint sands off easier than a etched line with a knife..... It's a hell of a lot faster, and saves a lot of masking tape too.  food for thought.   Kirk

Good point. Lots of ideas for me to try on future bows.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2024, 12:24:24 AM »
Thanks Kirk. And yeah that's this issue I was running into. The tape was getting all gummed up and frayed making it a pain to follow the line. I'm gonna try the template next time. Looks like yours are full length, I'm guessing that's more accurate.

Here is a short film clip on how I profile my limbs. Takes about 5 minutes for both limbs.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uuuiz3hMJi649Mob8

I did this clip this afternoon. I have my rough draw weight measured, tip overlays laid up, and will balance the limbs tomorrow. I came in about 2.65 # over my draw weight, and the tiller about 1/8 positive… couldn't ask for better.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2024, 07:49:25 AM »

Here is a short film clip on how I profile my limbs. Takes about 5 minutes for both limbs.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uuuiz3hMJi649Mob8

I did this clip this afternoon. I have my rough draw weight measured, tip overlays laid up, and will balance the limbs tomorrow. I came in about 2.65 # over my draw weight, and the tiller about 1/8 positive… couldn't ask for better.     Kirk

That's awesome. Thank you. I'm going to try that.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2024, 09:25:06 AM »
I actually strung the bow up last night. As you can see it's the top limb is much weaker. I did a pretty bad job profiling the limbs. After messaging someone on here. The plan is to retape, mark center line, measure distance off center on top limb, attempt to profile bottom limb (using above techniques) to same dimensions as top limb, and see where that leaves me.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2024, 10:40:38 AM »
Now THAT …. Is a reflex / deflex bow… :biglaugh:   

Let me ask you something…. Do those limbs flip over when grabbing the string and raising and lowering it?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2024, 12:33:25 PM »
Yeah new cutting edge design never seen before. And I'm not sure I didn't really pull on it. Just laughed at myself. I had a feeling the top limb was going to be weaker but wasn't expecting that!

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »
You did not get you taper mixed up----
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2024, 01:13:47 PM »
The shape of your limb coming out of the form has a huge impact on vertical stability in different draw weights. when you get too much of an elliptical shape to the limb shape with more deflex sweep to it, it increases the energy storage capasity dramatically, and requires much less thickness in the limbs to hit draw weight. With heavier draw weights these can be very high performance bow designs.... but unfortunately once you get below 50# on that kind of design the limb thickness diminishes to the point of vertical instability and you get those floppy limb bows and they do this.... This is an old video i did for a friend. both the bowyer who built this bow, and my friend have passed away.  So i use it to share knowledge for other bowyers playing with limb design.

https://youtu.be/sEOF6eCD-Mc?si=APQDGYVNJ7BZSSyZ
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2024, 04:11:32 PM »
I used form plans from a pretty reputable guy on here. But when profiling I goofed up big time. I hit the specs correctly on the bottom limb. But on the top limb 12" out from center I'm like 3/8 or so narrower that the bottom limb in the same spot.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2024, 08:44:52 PM »
I'm not saying its a bad design. but they can be fickle at times. There are a lot of bowyers out there that really like that design, and they can be good shooting bows once you have things dialed in and the bugs worked out. I played with a similar shape myself years ago.  Obviously you figured out what you can't do now, and will do better on the next one....

Bows are like women.... They come in all shapes and sizes, and have different personalities. Ya can't live with em.... and ya can't live without em either... Some are just better than others, from one man's perspective.

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2024, 06:29:49 AM »
Yep definitely builder error...

Offline John johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2024, 10:18:48 PM »
Kirkll
I like your system for laying out your pattern with Formica. Where can I get it. Thx John

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2024, 12:23:00 PM »
I’m quite sure you could by small quantities at Home Depot or Lowe’s, but I’m not real sure about it… I’ve had rolls of the stuff in my shop left over from old remodeling jobs years ago, and haven’t bought any in years.…. If you can’t find any local, let me know. I could rip up some 1.75” strips and fix ya up.

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©