Author Topic: 2024 Bow Swap Progress Thread - Open  (Read 61452 times)

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2024 Bow Swap Progress Thread - Open
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2024, 02:02:34 PM »
There is one thing you are forgetting about Jon.... When you use a shooting machine, you are cranking it back and hesitating for a moment prior to the release,  rather than dropping the string with one smooth motion not allowing the limb to stop.  It has something to do with momentum....

We've actually done tests with a shooting machine set ups that automatically triggered the release when it hits 28" with no stopping or hesitation the exact same way a flight shooter does. It has proven to yield higher numbers, than holding at full draw before release.

Granted.... In most cases your shooting machine numbers will be higher due to the release itself. but..... we are splitting hairs here....   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: March 10, 2024, 02:05:42 PM »
Jon I would agree.
High on Archery.

Online 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: March 10, 2024, 02:21:54 PM »
Well I screwed up again. My brain is broken, I ordered the wrong taper when I ordered lams so I came in way heavy. I don’t think there’s any chance of getting it to make weight. Would you guys be okay with that same bow only in different woods? I have one that’s ready for finishing. I’m not sure I’m gonna get time for another set of limbs. I’ll try but just wanted to check if that other bow would be an option. I can’t even get this one.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: March 10, 2024, 02:47:11 PM »
Okay with me.

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: March 10, 2024, 02:51:25 PM »
4Point - I’d be fine with anything you decide to send, heavy draw ok too as long as its not over 55,, don’t want to buy new arrows.

Kirk, I watched the video, very interesting and great control with the sanders. I’ll presume the Moustache filters to around N95?   :goldtooth:  I can’t do it any longer, have to wear masks or I’m coughing and choking for the next week. Too many years of neglecting it.
Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: March 10, 2024, 03:34:20 PM »
Sounds good 4point.
Don't know much about flight shooting bur for comparison repetition of method is needed.
High on Archery.

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: March 10, 2024, 03:45:24 PM »
4 point. I’m good with whatever you’ve got. 👍

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: March 10, 2024, 04:07:56 PM »
Travis- nobody will be not ok with whatever you send.  The one I got is awesome!!

Any bow is fast with light arrows and an orangutan draw!!  :laughing: :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: March 10, 2024, 04:22:12 PM »
4Point - I’d be fine with anything you decide to send, heavy draw ok too as long as its not over 55,, don’t want to buy new arrows.

Kirk, I watched the video, very interesting and great control with the sanders. I’ll presume the Moustache filters to around N95?   :goldtooth:  I can’t do it any longer, have to wear masks or I’m coughing and choking for the next week. Too many years of neglecting it.

N95 moustache??? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:      That's good... :clapper: :clapper:    Ya i'm guilty of not wearing a dust mask a lot. It will probably be the death of me before its all said and done.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: March 10, 2024, 04:27:33 PM »
So when does all this secret Santa crap come to an end?  I've got mine in the spray booth and should be ready to ship fairly soon. I sent a pm to my recipient to make sure the shipping address is ok and knows it's coming, but havent heard back yet..... Did i break the rules here?

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: March 10, 2024, 05:17:24 PM »
Did i break the rules here?

Yup, think you did! :biglaugh:

Watched the video.  It set off an episode of tool envy. 🔧
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: March 10, 2024, 05:29:13 PM »
Did i break the rules here?

Haha!
I knew you where my kinda people!😆

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: March 10, 2024, 07:14:53 PM »
Finally took the time today to build some ‘wings’ that I could tape paper on so I could better trace the working limb better at different draw lengths. Hoping this will help me get a more consistent product.

How do you guys do it?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: March 10, 2024, 07:50:22 PM »
Just by eye and feel, and by ear… but if you are mapping limbs it’s pretty easy to just use a tiller stick and trace the whole bow on some butcher paper on your bench, then flip the bow over and compare the two limbs.

Nice looking set up you got there… Are you going to mount that on the wall of your shop?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: March 10, 2024, 08:02:20 PM »
Haven’t posted here in a while, so figured I should. Been shooting, tuning and going over all of the small details on the swap bow before I apply any finish, it’s going to come in on the lighter side of my victims draw weight, but it’s shooting well and is rather quiet and at the lighter DW he will be able to enjoy it for years to come. I hope. :pray:
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: March 10, 2024, 08:41:35 PM »

Nice looking set up you got there… Are you going to mount that on the wall of your shop?

X2
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: March 10, 2024, 09:13:40 PM »
Sorry. Meant to post this in ‘What did you do today’ thread.

I have zero wall space left in my little shop as it’s only 11x23 as it’s the third bay of the garage, so one wall is garage door and there are two service doors at opposite corners.

I’ll definitely have to find a spot somewhere though. It’s a pain to get it out and screw it to the table

Online 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: March 10, 2024, 09:25:44 PM »
Thanks guys, I made all the pieces for another set of limbs this afternoon. If I can get them glued up next weekend I’ll be good. The veneers will be different but I think it’ll look okay. I had the riser all roughed out cause I was sure poundage was gonna be good.

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: March 10, 2024, 09:29:32 PM »
I got a decent bit done today. I manage to. Get that wonky Osage tillered out and shooting. Due to the large swoop in the top limb it feels much better to the a heavy arrow to soak up more energy. But it’s not bad and I was surprisingly consistent dropping arrows in up to 40 yards. The old wood has some beautiful plots with a healthy coat of linseed oil. I’ll be building up some true oil. Then I got the laminations ground and glued up for the Bamboo, black cherry, ERC bow. Then I finally moved and fixed my backstop. I replaced the bent swingset legs with black locust poles and laced the horse mats together so there was no gap an arrow can slip through.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: March 11, 2024, 09:40:01 AM »
I’ll definitely have to find a spot somewhere though. It’s a pain to get it out and screw it to the table

I saw one here a while back that was strapped to a tree.  I was inspired.   :biglaugh:
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Users currently browsing this topic:

EvilDogBeast and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©