3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flat-Out, Butt-Ugly, or Sleek Beauties?  (Read 4340 times)

Offline trh1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flat-Out, Butt-Ugly, or Sleek Beauties?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I don't like metal risers but it would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same things in a bows look. We wouldn't have the privelge to see the artisan work of the master bowyer and the  request of the archer who wants a bow made with certain woods. There are a few metal risered bows that will shoot circles around just about any bare bow. As long as I am happy with my shooting and bowyers can help me achieve that with wood risered bows I will most likely stay with the wood. Heck yea I like to occasionally sit in the woods and admire the lines in a nice looking wood riser mated to limbs of osage or red elm or bamboo (grass). I reserve the right to change my mind cause that DAS look like I could hit a knats eye at 20 auh 30 yds!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
I've seen and shot some metal riser bows I thought were very nice. Others I didn't care much for. The same goes for wood risers too.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
Jason,
I'd have to agree with you.  It depends on the bow.  I've seen some wood that I thought were really ugly.  I like the historical aspect of the older metal risers you have pictured there George.  I would like to shoot them to see how they feel.  I'm guessing stable and heavy?
Andrew

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
I was going to say they are not very attractive, until Ragi may a comment about a poly stock on a weatherby....uh-oh, my Mark V is a stainless, with poly stock in 7mm.  So I guess I should say they look, uh, ok?
Not a big fan of metal riser, but haven't shot many- so not a real opinion either way..
Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
I prefer metal over most woods but I have been know to take a can of Krylon paint to clear glass limb before.  :)  To each his own but I like good bows even if some do have wood in them.  :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline crittergitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Buuuuutt Ugly!!!!!!! Then again I've never owned one so my opinion could change after a short shooting session.

I remember when I got my first 3pc recurve, man I thought that thing was not only ugly and blocky looking but heavy to boot. Changed my mind in about 20 minutes of shooting and still own it today.

Rick
Quote from my son "Your Deer hunting just keeps screwing up our duck hunting!"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
George,  I had the Herter's in the bottom photo.  Shot my first bull elk with it using #13 glass arrows out of the 65# limbs.  My best friend still has it in it's hard case.  Beauty to me.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I have to vote Butt Ugly. That's not to say I don't shoot'em. I shoot my Hoyt as good as, if not better than any other bow I have. But I won't hunt Whitetails with that ugly thing ever again...it gets too cold! My old Hatfield is my goto Whitetail bow. Here's a couple of pics of my Ugly bows.

All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Ugly.  Not so much how they look as the DARNED WEIGHT!

Feels like I'm holding a 2lb lead sinker....
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Gawge, for what it's worth I shoot wood arrows, but I may wind up shooting carbon eventually (they ain't purty either).

Jeff brings up another reason I don't care for them--too dang heavy, and for some reason the feel of a metal riser is about as appealing to me as grabbing a cold bottle of snot.  'Course I'm sure that would change if it were the only bow I had acess to, or if I found I could shoot one better than anything else.

Reckon' there is a reason some wheel bow companies put wood grips on their bows?  :archer:  

Chad

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I'm hearing a Clint Eastwood "spagetti western" theme song about now LOL
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Actually guys, the Shakespeare and the Carroll's are not heavy at all.  Take a look at the design.
Not much metal there and lighter than a Bear Custom Kodiak for sure.  Lighter than an MA Widow as well.   The Hoyt in the photo has a magnesium riser as opposed to aluminum in the other three, so it's very light compared to actionwood or bubinga.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Butt ugly, wouldnt shoot one with a bag over my head.
Make a life, not a living

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
I prefer Mark Twain's sayings over Albert Einstein.  Too much left brain with Al.

"A dog teaches a boy three things:  Trust,  Loyalty,  and to turn around three times before  lying down."  Mark Twain

Or:
"A goose may honk, but it will not wave."
Patrick F. McManus

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »
ttt
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©