3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I’m going bear hunting at Stickflingers!  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I’m going bear hunting at Stickflingers!
« on: February 04, 2024, 06:50:27 PM »
Depending how long it takes to get my passport, I’m going bear hunting with Stickflingers up in Manitoba!

I’ve never hunted bears over bait so it should be a fun time.

For those that have been-what’s one or two things you brought that you couldn’t live without?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 06:11:33 PM by Iowabowhunter »
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I’m going bear hunting!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 07:32:58 PM »
Bug dope, bug head net and Thurmocell.
 :o
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 09:13:39 PM »
I’ve hunted at Stickflingers three times since 2015. Early May, early June, maybe mid-season? Always had a Thermocell, and head net just in case. The ONLY thing I used was a Thermocell and that was enough. Bugs have never been a problem for me up there.

On my second trip(which was the earliest week because Ryan got extra tags that year)my biggest problem was not warm enough gloves. Insulated bibs would not have been out the question that week!

Just ask Ryan, he’ll tell you what you need👍
First photo is a well dressed bear hunter on the earliest week. Can’t remember his name. :goldtooth:
In the second photo, the red thing you see under my Asbell wool top is a light down jacket.

The closer to June things get a little warmer. Just my experience.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:20:48 PM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 09:33:54 PM »
If I can get my passport soon I’d be up there May 5-10th.

If it takes forever then it would be June 16-21

I’ll be driving up, it’s like 11 hours so not terrible.

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 10:43:42 AM »
Wow what a dream hunt that your planning!  Hope its possible to take lots of photos..

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 11:03:47 AM »
You have picked one of the best bear outfitters in Canada. It is hard to bring bear spray over the border, but Ryan has some in camp for a few of the baits that tend to have a lot more bears. The things you need to bring is your best bow and a lot of patience. You will get to look over a lot of bears.
I took these bears at Stickflingers. Ryan also donated a hunt to Compton Traditional Bowhunters Dream Raffle for this year's drawing at the Rendezvous in June.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 11:08:46 AM »
Sleeping

A trad crew

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 11:32:38 AM »
I will be making my 6th trip with Ryan the end of May.  I have used my Thermacell a handful of times, but I have never needed a head net.  As others have said, have patience and be comfortable shooting out to around 20 yards from a ladder stand.  My shots have been 13, 8, 11 and 13.  The toughest thing with bears is judging size and picking a spot since the bears can appear to be a blob.

DP

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 11:42:15 AM »
You have picked one of the best bear outfitters in Canada. It is hard to bring bear spray over the border, but Ryan has some in camp for a few of the baits that tend to have a lot more bears. The things you need to bring is your best bow and a lot of patience. You will get to look over a lot of bears.
I took these bears at Stickflingers. Ryan also donated a hunt to Compton Traditional Bowhunters Dream Raffle for this year's drawing at the Rendezvous in June.

I’ll be bringing my new Wessel recurve-hoping to have an Iowa gobbler down by the time I get there. Due to work commitments I’ll be heading up mid-June looks like.

Awesome bears Mike, I need to find some resources for judging mature bears!

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 11:44:03 AM »
I will be making my 6th trip with Ryan the end of May.  I have used my Thermacell a handful of times, but I have never needed a head net.  As others have said, have patience and be comfortable shooting out to around 20 yards from a ladder stand.  My shots have been 13, 8, 11 and 13.  The toughest thing with bears is judging size and picking a spot since the bears can appear to be a blob.

DP

Good luck Dave-save a big one for me!

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 11:57:10 AM »
FYI - Passports can be expedited for a fee.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I’m going bear hunting at Stickflingers!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2024, 09:31:17 PM »
Would love to hear stories & see pics from everybody’s trips.

If you could point out boar vs sow that would be helpful, I have a lot of reading to do as this is my first bear hunt & don’t want to make a mistake

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2024, 11:33:25 PM »
Been there twice and have not had any bug problems (mid to late May).  Wish I had brought more warm clothes and a warmer sleeping bag.  Also, brought bear spray with no problems (drove across border)- make sure it says bear spray and not something for humans.  I used mine on one bear that got more friendly than I was comfortable with- 5 yards on the ground and coming in from downwind.  Herdbull- I believe that is Ryan (owner) in that first picture you posted.  Great helpful guides.  I had a great time and expect you will too.   As for judging bear size and sex, one of Ryan's guides (David) goes by Rattling Junkie on youtube- he has videos on judging both sex and size that should give you what you want to know.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 07:50:14 AM »
If it won’t fit in the barrel, it’s probably big enough. The first pic is a P&Y nearly 7 foot boar.
Second one big enough. I misjudged him and didn’t take him.
Third pic, too small.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 08:07:28 AM »
If it won’t fit in the barrel, it’s probably big enough. The first pic is a P&Y nearly 7 foot boar.
Second one big enough. I misjudged him and didn’t take him.
Third pic, too small.

Oh man if that third one is too small I should have a great time haha!

Thanks for sharing

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024, 08:40:19 AM »
You are in for the hunt of a lifetime. I can’t say enough good things about Stickflingers.
Bears are incredible animals to hunt. I have had them try to join me in my tree stand. I know a guy who punched one in the nose.

One evening, I was walking to my stand and I stopped to draw my bow, just loosening up. All of a sudden I heard the most awful woofing and huffing right off the trail, just ahead of me. That was followed by a sound that sounded like claws tearing into tree bark. Scared the crap out of me. Finally I saw a decent bear about thirty feet up and climbing higher into a big pine tree.

One day on a stand named “Determination Stand”. I must have seen 8-10 bear visiting the site.  Later, I had one bear feeding and it looked very relaxed. Suddenly it popped its head up, looked around and scrambled away from the bait.

About two or three minutes later a sow with two cubs came into the bait. She fed a bit but every time another bear started to approach them she would attack and chase them away. Finally she barked at the cubs and sent them way up into a nearby tree and started feeding.

While she was feeding, another bear snuck in and was standing on his hind legs looking up into the tree, trying to locate the cubs. Finally she noticed him and went ballistic on him chasing him at full speed around the woods, so close to my stand I thought they might run into it.

Eventually, it started getting dark and it was time to leave, but the sow was laying down at the base of the tree that the cubs were in about thirty yards from me! I knew if I tried to come out of the tree I was going to be attacked. She was nasty!

I waited about an hour longer, hoping she would leave but no luck. Finally I thought if I made a metallic sound I might spook her off so I kicked the ladder stand I was in. Bad idea. She got up and started for me. And of course that had to be the night I forgot my bear spray.

Fortunately, about that time I heard Ryan’s quad coming down the trail and that spooked her and off she went, cubs and all.

If you do a search you can find my story about the hunt when I shot my P&Y bear.  It’s too long to type all over again, but there is some good stuff there.

I am jealous of the hunt that you have to look forward to. Best to you!  If you want to talk about it, feel free to pm me.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2024, 09:29:35 AM »
And bluff charging- yes they do that once in awhile.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 11:30:57 AM »
I was up in Aug.  I would bring warm cloths and a rain jacket.  Also, a chair for sitting around camp.  You can pick up last minute items in Swan River.  There is a little general store a few blocks from camp if you need anything.  Watch the smaller bears at the bait, they will tell you when another bear is in the area.  A seat cushion for in the stand is also needed. 

Good luck and shoot straight. 

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 03:58:29 PM »
Here are a couple videos to help on identifying and judging bears

https://youtu.be/LIMR4DxjV-w?si=BtubBIIelBx_HbTG

https://youtu.be/pWeOZmogKvY?si=np11cXYRWZwJrs29

They are by a guy that has guided at Stickflingers.

You will have a great time.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 05:06:11 PM »
Here are a couple videos to help on identifying and judging bears

https://youtu.be/LIMR4DxjV-w?si=BtubBIIelBx_HbTG

https://youtu.be/pWeOZmogKvY?si=np11cXYRWZwJrs29

They are by a guy that has guided at Stickflingers.

You will have a great time.

Perfect thank you!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©