3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you keep or trade/sell bows  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Do you keep or trade/sell bows
« on: February 06, 2024, 12:30:40 PM »
Question:  Do you keep bows after you get a new girl friend.  Or do you trade/sell the previous love of your life?  I have several bows that can't be replaced even if I wanted to, due to retirement or passing of the bowyer.  Have one the is almost a prototype TD recurve from Damon Howatt.  Have two that may be on the block, but there is not much market for 70#+ bows.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you keep or trade/sell bows
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 12:49:13 PM »
I have kept a few and sold a few. I have a few bows I will keep for sentimental reasons. Right now only thing I would pass on are a couple I can’t comfortably shot anymore.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 01:03:00 PM »
My Big River bows and MOAB are not going anywhere.  The latest McDonald bow is my lightest.  As fate and fit have it I can still shoot the heavier bows.  Also, the HTD which is a lighter weight, so will be shootable for longer.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 01:25:46 PM »
Years ago I would buy another new longbow every couple years. Always kept all the ones I had. Had quite a few that way. Then I started selling the ones that were getting too heavy.  After that I sold several last few years that I just didn't shoot any more. So now I'm down to the 6 or 7 that are not going anywhere.  My MOAB, my Wild Horse Creek bows and my Mohawks.  I'm keeping those and for the most part I'm not buying any more.
I don't think :goldtooth:
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 01:41:12 PM »
My latest Big River 62" 53.5#@27 3/8" mild D/R longbow will be my "old man" bow.  Also, will be my turkey bow.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 02:25:54 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 02:19:00 PM »
I have kept way too many :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 02:35:44 PM »
When I retired in 2008 I went on a buying, selling and trading binge. So many bows so little time. I wanted to kill something with each one before I sent it on, but I found out it's easier to buy bows than shoot critters with all the new ones. I was definately a classifieds junky for several years and met many fine Trad Gangers that way. At first I just wanted to try other bows but as I aged I was thinning the herd because I could no longer pull the weight. I also donated several bows to the Washington Traditional Bowhunters and St Judes over the years. I am down to 4 bows now. Two Caribows, one a LB and the other a recurve. A Fred Anderson LB and a Border Black Douglas recurve. The Fred Anderson bow is a little heavy for me and I have not hunted it but I think it's a keeper, all the others have drawn blood.

The bow that was hardest to part with was my Bill Stewart multi cam recurve. That was a fine bow and I shot some good critters with it, including the Whitetail in my Avatar.  :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 02:52:52 PM »
I'm blessed to still be able to shot my age, but I have a couple bows for when that time comes when I can't.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 03:14:30 PM »
I have sold many, and still have some to sell, mostly longbows.  I intend to build a few T/Ds but not one piece bows.  Shipping bows over four feet in the USA and five or more internationally has gone through the roof. 
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 03:17:56 PM »
that's funny I just got done shooting and I'm looking at my bows I must have at least 20 and no I don't sell them or trade them just keep shooting them :biglaugh:https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/Smileys/tg/xxc_laugh.gif

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 03:37:02 PM »
I really have no financial need to sell any bows, and I like having them around, but I’m not getting any younger, and I’m beginning to think about all my bows being more of a burden than a blessing to those I leave behind.  So yes, it would be a good idea if I started selling some of them….tomorrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 06:27:43 PM »
I remember not too long ago when I said "just this one more bow and I'll be done buying bows". Yeah well that hasn't happened yet, and my collection continues to grow. I don't have a LOT of bows, but I have plenty, and another custom on order. I've traded and sold a few but it's getting to the point where the ones I have are the ones I really want. At some point I've got to stop buying bows, I think, maybe.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 07:02:28 PM »
I have kept every bow I ever bought and have no intention of selling any of them at present.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 08:15:08 PM »
So far, I've kept them all.   It has been nice to be able to introduce a couple people to Traditional archery on my first few lower, incremental poundage bows, so I've kept them around.   My McBroom string follow and 82# Armbruster Zebra Grevy are going nowhere, ever.   The Zebra is like a laser. 

I have a Northern Mist Classic coming soon, I hope, so I suspect that will join the ones I'll ask them to pile on my coffin ;)   Or maybe use them as fuel on my ship burial.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 09:23:19 PM »
I am just starting to sell a lot of my bows that I just don't shoot anymore. I have 10 that I'm going to sell this year. 

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 05:05:30 AM »
Yes, I do all three. If I Honestly don’t shoot them and hunt with them they are gone. Anything that is too heavy for me and tears my shoulders up I sell or trade. In my thirties I shot 60#. In my sixties low to mid 40# bows are comfortable and still get the job done.

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2024, 07:36:03 AM »
I am still picky about what I buy.  Being a lefty helps impulse buying.  I don't sell any, but do give one or two away to close friends that want to try them.  The only stipulation is if they don't like them or trad style, they give them back.  The 4 friends that got them still shoot them today. 
    Talk about selling, Bill in Elkland, MO started selling his collection of 450+ bows on around 2010 and still has a bunch.  He only lists them in craigslist for the Elkland Mo area.  I spent an entire day with him shooting, seeing the mass collection, and talking traditional.  Not only did I walk out with about 6 bows, a Young feather burner, and Western 648 knife too.  If in that area, check it out.  He doesn't buy anymore, but will trade for firearms.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2024, 07:45:09 AM »
With four grandchildren I will keep a nice stash to give them when they get a little older.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2024, 09:39:08 AM »
Interesting topic, Michael.
I’ve lost track of how many bows I’ve owned. My bow buying didn’t start til I was nearly fifty years old.

I was on a search for the perfect bow, one that I could reliably pick up and shoot well. That search took me through numerous bows by the same bowyer in some cases. I’ve owned four Tall Tines, three Pronghorns, four Shrews, (or JavaMan), two JD Berry, three Blacktail, a few Black Widows and a couple Northern Mist for example.

One thing that I found was that for me, I had to limit myself to shooting just a few bows. So I made a decision that I would not buy another bow unless I sold one. I limited myself to 4-5 bows for quite awhile.

Currently, I am down to three bows. A Tall Tines recurve with an extra set of limbs, a  Black Widow recurve, and a Liberty English. I have no desire for more as I am completely satisfied with these.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2024, 11:23:32 AM »
I honestly prefer to only keep bows that I have the intention of hunting with, anything else get sold or traded. I admit I prefer trading because I like to get to meet other traditional hunters and get to try new stuff. Lately that has slowed down a bunch as I am more content with what I have and I don't have a good enough reason to get another bow. I did the same with some of my fishing gear and I couldn't believe how easy it was to sell them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©