3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you keep or trade/sell bows  (Read 5012 times)

Online Surffever

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you keep or trade/sell bows
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2024, 11:56:46 AM »
The biggest dilemma in my archery journey.  I started 15 yrs or so and at the time I was financially doing well.  I was buying a lot of cheaper older vintage bows at first. Then as I got better and got to understand what I needed better I started getting better quality bows.  Tried some from the better bowyers out there. Enjoyed bows from Fox, Toelke, Blacktail, WesWallace, to name a few. Now Funds are tight and trying to decide what to let go and what I must keep.  It’s the hardest letting go of bows I know I will never be able to replace.  Even if I don’t shoot them much any more.  Blacktail one piece bows are rare now, wish I had held on to some of them. My favorite Toelke I sold to fund a new one, now wish I still had it even though the new one is great.  A lot of sentiment gets tied up in a bow you carry hunting for years. But they need to be used or let others have them.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 01:03:47 PM »
Not so very long ago I kept 3-4 longbows and 4-5 recurves on the rack. Now at age 68, I have one recurve, one selfbow and a hybrid on order. The old bow arm shoulder is worn out. I have had both recurves and longbows reduced in weight as much as the manufacturer could. Once they became too heavy, they found a new home. I really don't want the wife to have to deal with a bunch of "stuff" once I am no longer around.

I am left-handed and am the only lefty in the family, so there is really no one to hand them down to that can actually shoot them. I feel better knowing that someone has them and they are being used.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 01:16:32 PM »
Mike, same for me. I'm the only lefty in my family including kids and grandkids. Sure wish I could hand some down.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2024, 02:09:24 PM »
I sat one evening and recounted all the bows that have passed through my hands.  I've had more than I realized. Some I really regret selling after the fact, but it seemed like the smart thing to do at the time.  I was able to remember a lot of the bows I've owned by going back through photos I had stored on the computer.  I used to be in the habit of occasionally taking out my bows on a nice day and photographing them for insurance purposes in case of a fire or theft (need to get back on track with that).
I have gotten a lot better about resisting my impulse to buy more bows.  I see bows that I would really like to have all the time, but I ask myself "are going to shoot it, or just add it to the rack"  I don't need to "collect" more bows.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 03:05:29 PM »
I have traded, bought and sold a ton of bows.  Now I have maybe 45-50, most are at my old age poundage. I have a collection of bows made by Chad Holm. They are not going anywhere for a while. Also some ASL Hill bows that I really like. Many bows that are dual shelf. Also a bunch of ILF options!!  :campfire: :coffee: :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2024, 08:36:09 PM »
I've a few customs over the years. I had one of the original Bear MagTD risers when they first came out. I have hunted with them off & one since then. Got rid of almost all except my original Browning Wasp I got for Xmas when I was 15 and a Little Grizzly longbow by Jack Kempf. I may just hunt with that Bow this year to honor him.

A couple months ago I scored on two Greenstripe Risers and three sets of limbs for $700 US in an estate sale. I ended up selling all plus a couple heavy weight limbs I had kicking around. I only made about $250 profit as one of the risers had a pretty severe crack thru the riser at the bottom of the top latch.

I have my main TD, a Bear B mag in both left and right hand. A No Stripe right hand as a spare. The Kempf and Wasp. I did have 11 Bows at one time.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 10:10:58 PM »
I'm about ready to start thinning the herd, but the two beasts are the only ones I would consider.  Grizzly and DHH.  70#+ bows are hard to move.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 02:19:05 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 02:39:27 AM »
Interesting that you should say that 70# plus bows are hard to move.  I don't see a lot even for sale :/

Five years ago, when last I was in the market for heavy ASLs, there were lots of 70# plus bows out there, but nowadays it seems like a famine for heavy longbows.  I guess lots of the good ones are being held onto.  I see LOTS of 45-55# bows for sale. 

Maybe I'm just getting (un)lucky, over the last couple months.  You know what happens when you start looking for something specific...

I suspect a lot of Trad archers hold onto their good ones, heavy or lighter, and are getting older, so all of the demand is for the lighter stuff. 

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2024, 07:49:31 AM »
I bought, sold, and traded a lot of bows since switching over to trad in 2015. There were no trad shops or people I knew in the area that shot them, so I had to buy a bunch of bows to figure out what I liked.  I think I’m down to 15-18 now, and there are 6 that I shoot regularly.  No plans to buy anymore, but who knows?!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2024, 08:18:41 AM »
For a long time I kept ALL of them. Lately I have been selling bows that I don't hunt with. Also I have dropped from 60# bows to 50#, so I have sold several heavier bows.

I have a few that are sentimental, they won't go anywhere.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2024, 10:09:22 AM »
I have a Bear K Mag I bought at a flee market for 10$ about 20 years ago that started my Trad journey, its 50lbs I will never sell it it became my bow fishing bow. Have a couple all fiberglass bows lighter weight to let newbies mess with, all 21 others that I  made myself laminated recurves and hybrids, sold a few that some friends and others really liked and I was willing to let go. the majority of them I try to shoot and a few I shoot alot, its not easy letting go of something you put your heart and soul into making, but if someone really likes one and I know they will be shooting it alot more than myself I may be willing to part with it.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 09:00:45 PM »
Selling my first bow was a bit tough.
Selling my first Blacktail made by Norm was tough.

I do like my bows.  But in the end it's got to not only have the form but the function.   

I've two more Blacktails made by Norm--was thinking maybe one should be moved on.
The takedown I'll likely keep until I'm dead, in a home, or in dire straits.......It's a looker and a shooter---just shot it some today.

Most of the longbows I have bought have been moved along---I lucked into a longbow I wasn't looking for---perhaps I'll keep it.....perhaps move it along???

In the end they are tools--sometime very fine tools, and with memories made...

I've got too much "stuff" around here as it is.  I need to sort out what is important and move on what is not.......

With only about 5 bows in the house (ones my son's) and a few bow projects in the garage I don't think I'm holding on too many at the moment.  Some will go away when it is time.....new ones may or may not come in.....

You should talk to my brother about his guitar and amp collection........you think bows can multiply......

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2024, 07:07:56 AM »
For years I couldn't get another without selling first.  I have a few now. 2 that won't go anywhere. Bear '59 I killed my first trad buck with and a Black Widow PLX.  The Bear has the usual and pitiful crazing on the limbs but shoots fine. Just looks bad.  The PL is 62". I'd always wanted to try one and wish I had 15 years ago.  I've had it for 3 seasons now and taken 4 deer with it.  I do believe I'd like a 64" PL as well.  :goldtooth: I have a Northern Mist Ramer that will be hard to let go. Looks wise it's nothing to scream about with brown class and kingwood riser but I shoot it very well and I do like the brown glass!  The rest stay a little while and go.  Recently got a Timberhawk Falcon I am enjoying and it's a purdy bow! I still miss my Wessel built Tall Tines from about 11-12 or so years ago.  That is the one I should've kept but I had to come up with money for some bills due so it went.  If I can get ahold of Brian I will likely put in an order this year for one if his new ones aren't too crazy on pricing.  I have tried and sold or traded a pretty good amount of bows! I love trying bows and broadheads. Always have. My wife tolerates it.  :biglaugh: I figure it's better than drugs or other women right?  :archer:  :archer2:
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2024, 09:36:44 AM »
  A few years ago I started selling off some of mine . I had 60+ bows and at 73 I thought I would let others enjoy them. My oldest daughter will just get a dumpster and throw most of my stuff in it when I'm gone. I sold several for low prices and was very honest about them a repaired hole or a small scratch here or there. Almost everyone that I sold to would whine and critic a 50-60 year old bow thinking it should be as new. I decided it was not worth it especially with shipping prices so if I don't give away a few I'm going to let them go to the dumpster. Tired of dealing with adult whiners.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2024, 10:39:41 AM »
  A few years ago I started selling off some of mine . I had 60+ bows and at 73 I thought I would let others enjoy them. My oldest daughter will just get a dumpster and throw most of my stuff in it when I'm gone. I sold several for low prices and was very honest about them a repaired hole or a small scratch here or there. Almost everyone that I sold to would whine and critic a 50-60 year old bow thinking it should be as new. I decided it was not worth it especially with shipping prices so if I don't give away a few I'm going to let them go to the dumpster. Tired of dealing with adult whiners.

Man, what a bummer. You wouldn't happen to be left handed, would you?
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2024, 12:09:23 PM »
No whiners in my house. :goldtooth:
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2024, 12:11:03 PM »
No whiners in my house. :goldtooth:

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2024, 02:40:18 PM »

No, I just went out and checked. I had a BearSuper Grizzly that was new. If I still had it , it would be coming your way!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2024, 02:59:27 PM »

No, I just went out and checked. I had a BearSuper Grizzly that was new. If I still had it , it would be coming your way!

Wow, thanks for checking.  It's too bad that so many want so much for so little these days.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2024, 02:09:10 PM »
I have always had a self imposed limit of five bows. I sell one to help finance the purchase of the new one.  No regrets.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©