3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you keep or trade/sell bows  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Do you keep or trade/sell bows
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2024, 04:23:47 PM »
Only bought three bows new; $350, $585, $525 respectively.  The rest I've traded/bartered for.  Probably have @$800-900 invested in the remaining 5 bows.  The first three and one or two of the others will go in my Will.  There are perhaps two that would be given pink slips if I found the right buyer.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 06:58:22 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JD Page

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2024, 05:46:40 PM »
I've bought more than a few, but never sold one.. I have given several away to Family and Friends, that's the only way I've ever gotten rid of any.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2024, 06:37:16 PM »
 Traded a bow for some arrows.  I've gotten a few bows for free.  At lease one garage sale bow--it was $3.   Bought most of them new. Sold six or seven.  The ones I like to shoot get held on to for a long time.  Others come and go.

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2024, 07:01:50 PM »
I have more than I need I have a nice Widow recurve and a nice Thunderhorn longbow I should put up I just don;t shoot them enough any more, they are just resting on the rack.
Someone could be using them I should get moving on that time is passing by.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2024, 09:21:20 AM »
Its a weird thing, the significance a bent stick and a string can take on. For more than 40 years I was blissfully ignorant with two bows, a Bear Grizzly and a Bear Polar. Both left handed, both 45#. I killed a ton of critters with the Grizzly and a lot of paper circles with the Polar. Then I discovered online trad archery boards. I was born into a family of bow hunters and all the great discussions and camaraderie pulled me in. I quickly learned a ton about different bowmakers, history , design theories, etc. I picked up a couple bows with 'unique' backstories, like the 2008 TradGang St. Jude Faith bow, a custom made Dryad Orion that came up on eBay of all places, and the prototype Ben Pearson Mercury Hunter, actually a modified 1965 BP Golden Sovereign Lady Mercury , 55#, the shop put together for BP's factory-sponsored and best known shooter, Jim Dougherty.  Then I discovered that I was right eye dominant, probably an after-effect of Lasix surgery. I had a 26# Howatt Ventura hanging in the basement that my Dad picked up at an auction for when and if the grandkids showed interest. So I taught myself to shoot right handed and it was off to the races. For the past decade I've bought, sold, traded, gifted, received as a gift over 100 bows, almost all of them unusual, highly-sought, or just unique. Its been hard to let go of most of the ones I've passed along, e.g. the two mentioned above, but there's also a good feeling about sending a special bow to someone who will appreciate it. I've managed to still have 40 or so hanging around,  even after equipping my family and many friends who wanted to take up archery. Most of them are unusual, some unique and some just fun. I'm hoping to retire soon and have more time for hunting, making arrows, refinishing bows and I hope to get down to a dozen or less. I sometimes miss the one-bow days: now I take 3 or 4 bows on every hunting trip and don't decide which one I'm taking out until I decide where and how I'll be hunting.     
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©