3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old eyes advice?  (Read 3562 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old eyes advice?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 11:03:27 AM »
I'm gonna watch this one closely, before I jump in .....  :coffee:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 12:47:30 PM »
Thanks Tim!!!

I want to see 'out there'. Don't care if I need readers.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 01:41:30 PM »
yeah Terry,
After spending most of my life with bad eyes I couldn't pass up the chance to "see way out there". The Toric lens was a life change for me in being able to see signs and writing at a distance.  Now I'm not advocating for someone who doesn't need it to get cataract surgery but if you do, explore that option. Any thing past 6 feet is easy. My other eye was done with a standard lens and while things are as clear at a distance, I still seefine with it and I can read and see the dash in my truck without readers on. 
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2024, 12:40:10 AM »
When I have cataract surgery for the left, I want new distance lenses in both if that is the only option and then reading glasses. Tired of cleaning glasses.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 08:00:59 AM »
Hud,
I personally wouldn’t do distance in both eyes. My combination of distance in one eye and standard in other eye works great for eye. It enables my to see well at distance and also in to about 2 feet or so. I use reading glasses for close up. The distance lens starts getting fuzzy at 6-8 feet. I wouldn’t want that in both eyes and reading glasses don’t help at that distance. Talk to your eye doctor.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2024, 09:51:47 AM »
Started trad with glasses so since it’s all I’ve ever done I don’t feel handicapped. Good buddy of mine shoots with glasses and he’s a killer shot.

Offline Clarkansas

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 10:18:28 AM »
I wear glasses with progressive lens and really dont have trouble. My frames are only on the top part of my lens which reduces what I see in my peripheral vision and when I'm looking at a hard angle. I tried smaller lenses but found larger/wider ones worked better for looking at hard angles as when shooting. I shoot 3 under and anchor on my cheek bone.The middle knuckle of my pointer finger is below and lined up with the outside corner of my eye. Every now and then,my string will touch my glasses but its rare.  It helps that I didn't shoot trad bows until after I had glasses, so I didn't have to adjust my form to make it work. When choosing glasses, I did figure out I had to make sure to get frames with a wide enough nose piece so I could make my glasses fit as close as possibe to my face so the part of the lens I'm looking through with my right eye (right handed shooter) while shooting is not sticking out further than my nose (hope that makes sense).  I also pay extra for the higher quality lenses and for the increased width of the focal part of the lens. The first set I tried years ago had a very narrow width of focus, so that I had to have my head facing directly at what I was looking at for it to be in focus. The wider area of focus (I don't know the correct term for this) allows me to look at something to the side and it still be in focus.

I do have problems with fogging sometimes but so far it hasn't been too bad.  I've tried several different contact lenses but I must have drier eyes than most folks because it never failed that the lenses would get dry and roll up.  And thats in super humid Arkansas. I can't imagine being able to keep them moist in western states in September.  I loved the contacts for lots of reasons but never could make them work out for me.

Good luck! Hunting and shooting with glasses can be done.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2024, 12:22:43 PM »
I had lasik surgery at about age 45. I have always had very "sensitive" eyes and about 3 days after my surgery when my ex wife was putting my eye drops in, I squeezed my left eye shut, and "accordianed the flap" ... Kinda like crumpled kling wrap. They had to redo the left eye, and all was well for about 10 years. I needed cheaters from the start, but over the years I needed stronger and stronger ones. Up to 2.5-3x... Then at about 55, I noticed a slight "double vision" thing going on...?? Not really seeing double, but definetly a blurry outline in the upper right corner of what I was looking at.  A visit to the eye doctor confirmed that my eyes were each a different prescription, and my left and right eyes each focus in a different spot. New glasses with progressive bifocals corrected the problem. Now, the old eyes are going south again!!! Almost hoping that maybe I'm getting cattaracts? :dunno:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©