3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moosehunting  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moosehunting
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2024, 06:25:08 AM »
I was wondering if you all thought there was much a difference in capability between a 50# vs 55# bow of the same model for something like a moose?

If there wasn't a difference there would be no fifty five pound bows made.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2024, 11:20:25 AM »
I was wondering if you all thought there was much a difference in capability between a 50# vs 55# bow of the same model for something like a moose?

Most definitely. Let me put it this way, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any big game animal on the North American continent with a 55 lb. bow. I can't say the same for a 50 lb. bow.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2024, 12:02:58 PM »
My last two Bulls were shot w 43# limbs. While not pass thru, they were double lung. Just bumped up to 46# limbs. Of course shot placement is key.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2024, 01:49:59 PM »
I once had a chip shot at a whitetail doe get dismal penetration from a 48#, drawing 31".  Sometimes a shot goes that way, and you need all the help you can get.  In Alaska, 50# is the minimum for moose, but why take chances with being under-bowed for a big hunt like that?  Seems to me like it would be worth doing some extra exercise and getting proficient with the heavier bow.  If I don't work out constantly with my 65# bow, I simply can't shoot it.  But if I stay on top of it, it is very easy to shoot. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 02:29:42 PM by Archie »
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2024, 02:15:28 PM »
There's also a huge size difference in the animals depending on where you hunt them. A big bull in some of the more southern moose areas is closer to the size of a cow moose in AK.

On a DIY type drop hunt in AK, if you are strong enough that you can pack the meat you generally don't have to worry about being strong enough to pull the bow  :goldtooth:

R

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 02:56:29 PM »
No I’d imagine not. I carried a few. But lately starting to feel my bones. We can normally pick most up here with a tracked machine.  As long as the hill isn’t too steep. I know nobody however that hunts with traditional bow. And most I’ve seen coming here for a five day hunt won’t risk coming with a bow.  So not familiar with what most poundage’s many use for moose.  I’m only myself getting back into it after 30 years. And normally I’m guiding and have no time to hunt myself. Last few licences I’ve had, I used only the last day. They can be tough even with rifle in that length  of time. But possible with bow.  I did meet one guy in the early 1990’s.   It was bow or nothing. He had a compound then that was 10-15 years old if I remember right.   A bear came out 40 yards and he missed by 37.  The limb broke.   An hour later he was forced to use his friends rifle.  I could tell he hardly knew how to use the bolt.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:04:58 PM by Vroomvroom »

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 04:10:12 PM »
I’m looking into an asl and was wondering if I should order 55lb or 50.    Law here requires 20kg for big game. That’s 45lb only.  That is pretty light I’d have to admit myself.    Maybe after seeing moose hit with large calibres running off has me Leary of even my 55 lb Savanah.       No doubt an arrow has to penetrate on the mark or moose will run off.    It can be so dense that I see many guys cannot walk through it.  Long hair on them hold a good bit of blood.  Which can make tracking a wounded moose very difficult. 

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 04:16:47 PM »
Sorry if it seems like I'm advocating light poundage for Moose. I used to hunt w 75# Recurves back in my prime.

I am still building muscle from shoulder surgery two years ago. I hope to get up to 50# by fall.

Also I hunt strictly farm land for Moose. Not unusual to see Whitetails and Mule deer along with Moose in the same piece of Bush. Getting one out doesn't require packing.

My biggest Bull had to be cut in half as the quad wouldn't budge him whole. He was 985# dressed.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 04:34:57 PM by Gun »
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 04:40:26 PM »
No need to be sorry.  Just a forum with opinions and advice.    I don’t know the penetrating power of a longbow like most fellows being relatively new, getting back into it after a long hiatus.  But I know moose well.  I would most likely bet I’ve seen more moose shot with rifle then most.  And most likely the most. Seeing dozens each fall.  They can be tough, even with a rifle.   A lot would scoff at seeing someone show up with a trad bow.    But one thing to note about a trad bow hunter that I’ve seen is they know the risks, disadvantages with their hunting tools.  They accept it may be a challenge and a kill is not gauranteed.    From just grasping the feel of the bows energy, watching an arrow fly, as I’m out here on a boat for several weeks, I paced off 20 yards.    That’s a far shot. Not so much due to accuracy issues. But I’d want to be close to make sure I get penetration.     

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 04:55:32 PM »
Here’s a hike I took earlier , ten days ago. Might have to scroll the picture over, as it’s large. Only half of it showing on my screen

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2024, 07:36:27 PM »
Nice picture gun.

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2024, 08:40:40 PM »
Seriously,  Gun shooting moose with 45lb isn't your average guy....a good analogy, only experts shoot skeet with a .410, average guys use a 12 guage 😀

That said, though, OP, you obviously know moose and that's a big deal. You make a commitment to only shoot one when his eyes are rolled back and he's coming to your call so you need to shoot or he'll walk over you and that closeness will help. Just keep your wits and you know you can shoot a moose at 15 feet.....that makes a big difference with traditional bows.

My 2022 Alaskan bull wasn't huge, 50 inch rack and approximately 1300 lbs based on amount of boned meat. I shot him at 10 feet. Kind of like shooting an arrow into the side of a VW beetle on stilts. The big thing is just keeping your head together till the arrow is in him.

R
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 08:48:32 PM by Ryan Rothhaar »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2024, 08:47:10 PM »
50# draw limit for legal bow for moose in Alaska.
Get as close as possible, and keep control of your shot. With that said it can be difficult to because they truly are a beast you just want to look at. Especially for first timers. They exsert tremendous power and force when fighting.

Don't wait if you have the moose hunting bug. Mike

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2024, 08:50:25 PM »

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2024, 08:52:28 PM »
What’s your set up herdbull?

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2024, 09:00:29 PM »
Currently using 62 to 65# recurve with 750 to 800 gr 2219 aluminum tipped with two-blade single bevel Tuffhead or Cut-Throat .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©