3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you could only have one turkey call?  (Read 4022 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
If you could only have one turkey call?
« on: February 22, 2024, 07:33:16 PM »
With the turkey season(s) fast approaching, I think it would be interesting to hear what call is your favorite, and why.
I have practiced with the mouth calls, but never really mastered them. Maybe there are some that are easier to use? I do pretty well with a friction call...at least in comparison to the mouth calls!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you could only have one turkey call?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 08:29:02 PM »
For me and my style, hands down a tube call.  From the softest tree yelp to purrs and up to Jake kee kee then gobbler yelps and gobbles. Sharp triple loud Cuts is my favorite locator also.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 08:47:34 PM »
I like different types of calls depending on the situation, but if I could only have one, it would be a good slate call. I think it is the most versatile.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 09:04:52 PM »
Definitely a pot call. I prefer the sound of a crystal surface as opposed to a slate, but they both work just fine. I'd like to get better with a diaphragm call, but just haven't quite got it down yet.

Online CAPTJJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 10:13:53 PM »
Mouth calls for me, 2 free hands when bowhunting and they get close is important. The one call that I have called the most toms in with is the Hooks Executioner 2, usually all I need.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 12:25:18 AM »
Slate, wingbone, box are favorites and are easier to use. IMO
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:23:59 PM by Hud »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 04:49:21 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ] I use all calls. Got way too many but I’m gonna offer considerations. One a mouth call is good. I used one exclusively over 30 years but they wear out, get you sore throat if not put away properly and some guys don’t practice with em, . They’re usable for all guys. Pots are good but surfaces need to stay dry for the most part. Yea weatherproof strikers could be used but the sound is never perfect.
Suction calls imo are too fragile unless trumpets. Just not my thing. Ill not go into strictly specialized calls but what’s left imo is either a longbox or scratcher. A short box is limited compared to longbox. We said one. Think I’d still pick scratchers. They fit in a pocket. Can be kept dry pretty easy and make about every sound save a gobble. Least I can’t. They also fire up birds often when other stuff doesn’t. A longbox has the advantage of reaching out. Btw you can tone one (longbox) down by holding the soundboards on side as you play to lessen volume. I’d still go scratch box.
Pic is of one of past spring birds showing scratcher for size. Def a convenient call can be put in shirt pocket and def my most commonly used call anymore.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 07:24:27 AM by Bowguy67 »
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 04:52:54 AM »
Idk why it’s not attaching but they’re small if you’re not familiar
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 04:57:17 AM »
Definitely a pot call. I prefer the sound of a crystal surface as opposed to a slate, but they both work just fine. I'd like to get better with a diaphragm call, but just haven't quite got it down yet.

Have you ever used green glass? Has the snap like crystal but way less to maintain.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 06:54:47 AM »
A Turkey Trumpet call for all conditions...have even harvested a gob with a straw...

A Pot call if strictly hunting from a blind.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 09:33:50 PM by Friend »
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 10:48:29 AM »
If I had to pick just one call, it would be the one that has always produced and brought in even the most hung up bird's I have encountered.  It would be a "Tom Gaskin" call.  I do not even know if they are still made.  It is a scratch box call, I do not know what it is about this call, but even the times, after using all the call's in the best, pull this out and get result's.  It will produce sound farther than think, and with playing with it can be so soft and sweet.
  Next, to this call, I would say a mouth diaphram.  The only reason is only call that I can be ready to draw and get the bird to move, same time. 

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 10:57:52 AM »
I use a  box call, diaphram and slate, but if I could only use one, it would be slate. 

Offline mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 11:38:34 AM »
I use them all but if only one I agree with Orion a slate.

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 05:24:35 PM »
I'll cast another vote for mouth calls if I had to pick just one. Second to that would be a good box call.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 06:04:24 PM »
My custom made Trough Call.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline GAlongbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 06:26:06 PM »
If I was limited to just one…..it would be my trumpet.

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 07:28:35 PM »
Mouth call, then silence. I think shutting up and letting them come find the hen that “left” kills a lot of older birds. For me anyways
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 07:39:58 PM »

Have you ever used green glass? Has the snap like crystal but way less to maintain.

No, I have never used green glass. I'll have to look into it though!

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2024, 09:19:50 PM »
I cast my vote for a hands free mouth call
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline JW_Halverson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 12:12:14 AM »
When I am loaded for bear, and I always am, I carry two pots (one slate, one green glass), five different strikers, one short box, one long box, and a wingbone call I made from a roadkilled hen about 15 years ago to replace the lovely walnut Tom Turpin suction call my dog chewed up.

I use them all in-turn during locating and scouting. But when I get them located, I drop everything and stay strictly on the wingbone until I get them to about a hundred yards. Then I pull out my all-time favorite, the one I practice year-round with and always have with me....my own voice. I do purrs, soft yelps, chirps and whines, the stuff you can only generally hear when you are within 10-15 yards of the flock. There is no movement, nothing to drop or accidentally knock against the stock of my gun, never gets misplaced if I gotta pick up and run to another spot of concealment. Over the years of watching and hanging out with birds in the woods, I noticed they often get quieter when another hen or a gobbler joins into the flock. Kinda like how after you hollered at your buddy across six backyards and a vacant lot as a kid, but you stop shouting when you get face to face. I think I used to talk too loud too often and the birds thought me rude and boorish. I try to be more polite and genteel nowadays...until the Pedersoli 10 ga side by side percussion black powder gun I call The Fat Lady cuts loose with one of her patented hellfire sulphureous farts. Nothing genteel 'bout that!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©