Author Topic: Longbow limbs  (Read 4469 times)

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow limbs
« on: February 23, 2024, 07:50:44 AM »
66in laminated longbow
I'm looking for constructive criticism on how my limbs are working amd if there is anything I can do to make it better then what it is now ...I see about an 1/8 difference on the bottom limb but was wondering what other more experienced bowyer see from the pics
Any help is appreciated as this is my first laminated bow build ever
Steve

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow limbs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 09:09:25 AM »
All the bend is close to the riser, outer limbs are not bending.
Is this a all wood bow?
Can you shorten the string up more?
To long of a string will give you a false bend.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 10:17:43 AM »
I would agree needs to be stiffer off the fades.
High on Archery.

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 10:29:21 AM »
Thanks ....this is
 2x .07 .001 taper bamboo lams
.03 botuff
.05 veneers
.04 clear glass
I did a 16in riser but I was questioning the length of my fades I know the next one will be longer and feathered even more then this one ........is there any way to fix this now or just finish it and shoot it ...and start a new  better build? Appreciate the help guys

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 10:44:19 AM »
About the only thing ya can do with it now besides a shorter string, is narrow up the tips as much as you are comfortable with, and trap the outer 3 rd of the limb to the belly aggressively. That could get those outer limbs bending a bit more. Doing that is going to drop your draw weight , but it will seriously cut the hand shock down. I’ll bet that one has some kick to it as-is.

Next one go with a longer riser, and use a power lam to extend the fades out past the riser fades another 3-4” . That will force the limbs to bend further out on the limbs.      Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 10:53:50 AM »
Thanks kirk I'll give that a try ...and the next one I'll deffenitly use that advice ...very much appreciated..

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 12:56:57 PM »
In the second picture the bend of the limbs indicate that the bow is bent to a bit high normal brace height. You need a much shorter string and when you have a string that is tight when the bow is at normal brace, the outer limbs will bend more when you get closer to full draw lenght. That is my two bits.  Easy to be fooled by too long string, and miss weight.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 01:04:28 PM »

To long of a string will give you a false bend.

What was the brace height?
Brace it at 7-1/2" and lets see pictures again, bending.   :thumbsup:
The .001 may not be enough.

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 07:57:44 PM »
max that was my thinking also, maybe the .001 taper wasn't enough.. when I get back out in the shop tomorrow I will do just that and post some more pics.

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 08:00:06 PM »
will do thanks bowmaker

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 09:28:18 PM »
max that was my thinking also, maybe the .001 taper wasn't enough.. when I get back out in the shop tomorrow I will do just that and post some more pics.

My D shaped long bow limbs run .004 FT and  i use a pair of .002 tapers. My hybrid LB run .003.

Sounds like you have an .002 FT with a pair of .001.    You may want to go to .003 or even .004 on the next one.... Is it safe to assume you are using .040 glass backing?    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 08:41:58 AM »
yes kirk .04 glass and yes correct .002 FT but only .001 per lam tapers (not enough)....very good chance I didn't use enough taper overall and will definitely adjust for the next bow ...i figure it may take me a dozen or so try's to get a GOOD one and learn all the ins and outs of this particulate form and build quirks in the mean time
... also kirk I  believe Ive found your YouTube page and binged watched them last night...  i will be watching and absorbing all the info i can from your videos

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2024, 09:15:18 AM »
yes kirk .04 glass and yes correct .002 FT but only .001 per lam tapers (not enough)....very good chance I didn't use enough taper overall and will definitely adjust for the next bow ...i figure it may take me a dozen or so try's to get a GOOD one and learn all the ins and outs of this particulate form and build quirks in the mean time
... also kirk I  believe Ive found your YouTube page and binged watched them last night...  i will be watching and absorbing all the info i can from your videos

My bad on the .001 taper on my last comment. :knothead:
I still want to see the bending with a bigger brace height.
}}}}===============>>

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 09:33:26 AM »
max im heading out to the shop now ...pictures will be posted in about an hour or so
thanks

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 10:23:27 AM »
Here is the 2nd set of pictures with the bow strung and brace set at 7in.

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2024, 10:44:34 AM »
I think I'm gonna try what kirk was sugesting by very slowly thining out the outer 3rd part of the limb to get it working/bending with the rest of the limb .....I'm not so worried about the weight of this bow as it is my first laminated bow ever and just want to go through the process and learn as much as possibly for the next one

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2024, 01:42:14 PM »

My D shaped long bow limbs run .004 FT and  i use a pair of .002 tapers. My hybrid LB run .003.

Sounds like you have an .002 FT with a pair of .001.    You may want to go to .003 or even .004 on the next one.... Is it safe to assume you are using .040 glass backing?    Kirk

Yep, Like kirk said :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 08:58:06 PM »
You might be surprised what a narrow tip width profile and aggressive trapping to the belly side will do for you. Btw…. I wouldn’t trap the whole limb just the outer half . You got enough bend coming off the fades already.

Please let us know how that works for you.   What’s your draw weight now at 28” ?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 08:21:40 AM »
Just so I can wrap my head around this for future reference, Kirk, when you say trap to belly are we leaving the belly wider than the back or the other way around?

Offline S.newman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 10:40:43 AM »
kirk right now it is 48# @28 ill be narrowing the outer limbs today and will up date the post

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©