3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What used to be the "bow everyone wanted"?  (Read 562 times)

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What used to be the "bow everyone wanted"?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
In the 80's when/where I started. A Jim Brackenbury, Groves, and Kramer were the bows to have in the San Diego area.......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »
I think I may have dated that chick, Daddy Bear!

Back when I started, it was the Bear Kodiak then Super Kodiak.  Still a pretty darn good choice...

As a young archer in the early 70's I positively lusted after one of the radical Pearson recurves.  So did most of my buddies. I could never afford one so settled for a Shakespeare Sierra for which I paid the princely sum of $28.00!

I still have a 58" Wing Red Wing Hunter made in the 70's, that I bought used for $50.00 in the 80's.  A great bow that is relegated to basement shooting & bowfishing.  Every bit as beautiful and shootable as my primary bow, a 58" Lee TD Hunter of current manufacture.  I sure wouldn't feel shortchanged if the Wing Hunter was the only bow I owned...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 04:27:00 AM »
When I started in the early 50's all we had were Pearson hickory or lemon wood longbows then Bear fiberglass recurves came on the market and I cut lawns,caddied, odd jobs etc to get enough money $28(I think to buy a new Bear then it snowballed as each year newer models came out. To own a Kodiak was the ultimate high that I never reached in my teen years.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »
Growing up in the 50's the number one bow was the bear line.

But to make you think back in time for us older people I would have to say that for me it was when the Herter's book of hunting sale items would come. The book was kept in the bathroom with the Sears book so you could dream on what was new that year. I did get my first target bow from Herters, alsoa doz of there tan fiberglass arrows . I also got my first shotgun from Sears, still got it and now after 50 years it still works great, but has been pasted down to my grandson. In the 1970's in VA, I saw the first of the BW bows and did they shoot very well over most other brand of bows. Now today I think the best bows dollar for dollar are the checkmate line of bows....

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Red Armed Panther

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »
Drake "Hunter Flite", Black Widow. Still have and use them.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
With all the K-mags for sale from the late 60's and 70's I would say they were popular.Kip

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I may have mmmmmissed the point of the question here. Back in the day (60's) there were the regular bows, Bear, Pearson, Hoyt and a few others all in the $40-$75 range, but the bow people lusted after was the Black Widows @ the unbelievable price of $125!!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
Dan Quillian had some great bows (recurves and longbows) in the late 80's early 90's

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Got my first Trad deer with a borrowed Custom Kodiak TD and that was the one I always wanted then.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Depends on the time and the area.  Around these parts, back in the 60's and early 70's, a Pounds was THE bow to have.  They weren't cheap, but they were the benchmark--excellent bows.  I believe Mr. Pounds would have been a common name in archery circles had he not passed way too soon.  Higher end Bear and Herter's were pretty popular, plus lots of Pearson's, Shakespeare, Colt, Browning, etc.

Chad

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
In the 60s I dreamed of a Super Kodiak, when I fianally got it, I shot a 230 pound buck on a quick trot at 30 yards.  However, compared to my Schulz longbows it seemed to clumsy.  I have stopped dreaming about the perfect bow, and at this point I would like to thank someone called"sumbitch" for out bidding me, on screwbay, on a Bob Watson I don't know what got into me, dreaming about a different bow; my next bow is going to be a Hill blank, period.

Offline whossbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
got several rabbits back in the late 60s with my old red bear fiberglass,,my brother and i,tracking in the snow,,,good times missed but never forgotten,,,jeff

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Mike Fedora has been building bows for over 40 years as his only job. I'd have to think his name in in the hat.

Steve

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
tHE BOW EVERYONE WANTED WAS ALWAYS, the next bow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure I never had one!   :knothead:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Jim Brakenberry!! mid to late 80's.. I called Jim on the phone on a thursday and ordered his Drifter ( still have it). I recieved my bow the next Tuesday days before Jim got my check!!!  good ole days
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©