3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bivy vs Tent  (Read 4282 times)

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Bivy vs Tent
« on: February 26, 2024, 11:35:57 AM »
Two of my buddies and I finally pulled the trigger and got Idaho elk tags for this fall. One of my buddies lives there, but two of us do not, and I'm working hard on compiling a list of what I need and what I don't need based off of his recommendations and others. We'll be pretty much living off of our back for a week, so packing efficiently is fairly important. That being said, I'm torn between bringing my small one person tent or using a bivy and tarp. The tent would add an extra few pounds to my pack and takes up a bit more space than the bivy. That being said, those of you have used both, which do you prefer? Also, any other gear recommendations are appreciated. Really looking forward to this trip!

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bivy vs Tent
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 12:38:52 PM »
Everyone is different when it comes to comfort level when spending the night in the mountains. I usually set up a base camp and return to it nightly, but I never leave camp without a bivy setup in my pack. If I'm on elk at the end of the day and I'm miles from base camp, I'm spending the night there. My bivy setup consists of a down sleeping bag, a small light sleeping pad, and a good lightweight tarp. The bugs are mostly gone by the time elk season rolls around here in Idaho at the elevations I'm hunting at, and that's the only justification for a tent, so I go as light as possible.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 12:53:24 PM »
I'll throw out another option.  I'm a hammock guy, a few ounces lighter than a tent with Dyneema fly and you always have a flat spot.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 01:28:03 PM »
I'll be watching this one.   :thumbsup:

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 02:10:24 PM »
Trenton, in 1973-74 I was about your age and lived in Montana. I had o.t.c. sheep tags in what is now the Absaroka/Beartooth Wilderness Area and spent many weeks scouting and hunting there. I was always alone and carried an 8'x8' sheet of string-reinforced visqueen. I would fold it in half, put in my pad/sleeping bag and put rocks (there were always plenty) over the bottom and side and slide in from the top. It worked fine but I readily admit my brain probably was not fully formed back then and Maclean is absolutely correct that "everyone is different when it comes to comfort level when spending the night in the mountains".
Today I would opt for the lightest, quality one person tent I could find.

Offline Clarkansas

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:56:33 PM »
I've done plenty of both. For me, a floorless trecking pole tent, which is really just a shaped tarp, gets the vote every time anymore. One from any of the quality companies probably won't weigh more or have more bulk than a waterproof bivy.  If weather is bad, its nice to be able to sit up and get dressed, pack gear and even heat water for coffee or breakfast in the tent.  If you pack for bad weather with a bivy, you'll be bringing a tarp and then you are more than likely heavier than a floorless 1- or 2- person floorless shelter.  Just my 2-cents worth. I do know of a couple folks that love their bivy.

It sure is fun testing out all of them.  Good luck!

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 07:34:04 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys, this is really helpful. Keep them coming!

Wudstix, you're not the first person who has brought up a hammock, and the idea is really intriguing to me. Is there a certain one that you prefer to use? I have a generic hammock (no clue what brand), but I have trouble getting comfortable in it since I'm a bit taller. What brand do you have?

Maclean, I was considering bringing both so that I can do just what you are describing. Set up the tent somewhere as our base camp and then carry the bivy in my day pack so that if needed we can spike out overnight. My only concern with the bivy and tarp is getting caught out in some nasty weather and waking up with water running under the tarp and soaking everything. I suppose picking a good piece of ground would be important.

Jim, that sounds like a good idea. Not sure my brain is fully developed either, so if I get in pinch, I might have to give that a try. OTC sheep tags would be a dream, I'm super jealous of that opportunity!

Clarkansas, I've looked at these floorless shelters and they look pretty nice! I like the idea of being able to set them up and have enough room to move around underneath. I still need to get hiking poles at this point, but they're on the short list.

So I've got a votes for tents, bivy's, floorless shelters, and hammocks. Thanks for helping me narrow this down guys!  :laughing:

I'll be in Idaho the first week of May bear hunting, but we plan on using the truck as base camp every day. I might bring a few options and see which one I like best, then go with that for the elk hunt. I'm looking forward to doing some testing, and appreciate the information on everything so far! Any other gear suggestions that you have learned about along the way on trips such as this would be really appreciated!

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 07:36:26 PM »
My rig is the DST from Seek Outside. It can be set up as a  fully enclosed tent (floorless) in less than 10 minutes.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 07:47:04 PM »
Trenton, my bivy camps aren't what I would call comfortable. But it keeps me out there in good shape, and when you're on the elk it just doesn't seem to matter. I never remember how cold or wet I was, but I do remember those nights I camped 300 yards above a small band of elk with a nice herd bull talking all night.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 08:55:56 PM »
Check out main boards, Hunting Essentials, Elk Pack List for a lot of good info.

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 09:11:58 PM »
I second the Hammock idea.  I've enjoyed my Hennessy over the years.

If you're on the move and never really know where you'll end up, its great, and keeps you off the cold ground.  Just set up the fly (or second tarp) to keep the wind off you.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 11:16:45 PM »
I'll throw out another option.  I'm a hammock guy, a few ounces lighter than a tent with Dyneema fly and you always have a flat spot.

I'm a fairly restless sleeper.  I alternate between sleeping on my back and either side maybe 10-15 times a night.  And that's just the times I’m aware of.  If you sleep in a hammock, are you pretty much limited to sleeping on your back all night, or are you able to turn over from time to time?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 01:32:49 AM »
You can sleep on either side or your back in a hammock Dave.  I sleep about as bad as you and I get some very good sleep in my Hammock.  I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and love it.  Especially when it is rainy out. It is lighter than my 2 man tent but not much. The only draw back with a hammock in colder weather is your underside gets cold.  Making it necessary to have a pad or an underquilt. Warning!  It can get pretty expensive Buying a good tarp and down quilts!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 01:51:47 AM »
If you can afford a little extra bulk and weight, one thing I've done with my Hennessy hammock is to pack a thin, inflatable ground pad.   It takes a bit of finagling getting both you and it up in the hammock, but it flattens and spreads the hammock, keeps your underside warm, and makes shifting around easier if you need to roll or move.  Adds weight and bulk though, so depends on your needs.

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 08:07:10 AM »
Good for you Trenton getting after it while you’re young-you got your priorities straight!  My buddies and I had it backwards at your age and worked too much. Good luck!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 08:26:23 AM »
I’ve hunted elk in Colorado five times. My son and I used a tent each time, so I have no experience with anything else.
 Two of the five times were backpacking in about five miles.  It rained enough both times that we were thankful for the tent. Some kind of water treatment was important.

I am envious! We had a great time, especially on our backpack trips but those days are gone at least for me.

The photo shows the terrain we were hunting in, but was taken on a scouting trip.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 01:45:04 PM »
I think that bivys, tents, tarps, hammocks, and tepees all have their place. I run a 10X10 ultralight silnylon tarp (lite outdoors) about 80% of the time. It's around 1lb and can withstand any weather with a proper pitch. It can be set on steep hillsides like in an elk bed or game trail. I think condensation is harder to manage with the bivi and I think it's harder to stay warm in a hammock. The tepee with a stove can be a game-changer in wet late-season hunts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 01:52:04 PM by twitchstick »

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2024, 02:11:18 PM »
You might check out Mountain Hardware  KIVA or HOOPLA .  I have and have used the KIVA.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2024, 05:13:28 PM »
I've never had a problem with staying warm with an inflatable matt or closed cell matt underneath, quilt over top, inside the mosquito netting of a Hennessey and a Dyneema fly.  I've never been below 20*, but I sleep warm just with body heat.  For colder weather I do pack lightweight Polypropylene longies and a light fleece top.  Use some plastic feed/seed bags as a floor mat, so I don't step out onto the ground.  Hold it in place with a couple rocks and hiking boots.  Hammock allows for a flat spot every time you camp.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2024, 05:30:15 PM »
There are a lot of hours in the day that are dark. I guess it sounds like a good idea for weight savings...but man, I can't imagine staying in a tube of plastic,  in a hammock, or under a postage stamp sized piece of nylon like 12 hours a day for a week. Add in a half day or two rained out of hunting and that bivy would feel like a coffin.

There are some fantastic, lightweight shelters anymore that have room. On my Alaska hunts (weight restricted flying in, not packing on my back) the Sawtooth is gold. You split that up between 2 guys and you are at 3-4 lbs each or so.  For another pound and a half each you can have a Ti stove.

R

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©