3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Carbon Express worth the extra $$$?  (Read 349 times)

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
Are Carbon Express worth the extra $$$?
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Hi guys,
     I am going to invest in a new dozen arrows due to switching to a higher poundage bow.  I was shooting the GT 35/55's but never was completely pleased with them because I wonder how consistent the spine is.  I have been thinking about either some CX 250's or GT 55/75's, and was wondering wether the CX are worth the extra money?  I will be trying for a finished arrow of around 650 grains with a 100 brass insert and 200-250 grain head.  Thanks for any info you can give about your experiences.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline P.W.Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Carbon Express worth the extra $$$?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I personally shoot GT55/75's and they're dead on consistent...I normally shoot them with 125 grain heads, and a 100 grain insert...as an example of how much I like them, I can shoot the VANED arrows off an older 55lbs recurve (off of the shelf that is,) and have no trouble tuning the bow to fit the arrows...I've tried the CX 250's and I think that the GT's are tougher and last longer than the CX's and are more consistant spine-wise...good luck,
Derek

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Buy the CX Heritage.Definitely worth the money.Much more consistent in spine. I've had GTs that range 10# difference in spine.The Heritage's I've bought were all within 1-3#. They can be had for $65-$67 at Keystone Country Store or Bowhunters Superstore.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
I would spend twice as much on CX shafts than GT's or mfx/axis shafts.  Way more durable, very consistent in weight and spine.  Well worth the money. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
I have been happy with the heritage 350,s like dale mentioned keystone country store is wher i get mine as well. They are 12 grains per inch and they shoot good for me out of my 54# recurve and my long bows up to 63#.
Having said all that I believe you good make the 5575 shafts work as well I shoot them interchangeably. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Guy on Stickbow talking about breaking the end of a GT. Have shot CX for years and to date have never broken one, even on a rock.  I shoot a 69# and 63# Harrison Lobo.  The shafts are about indestructible.  I shoot the old CX Terminator Hunters and love the 11gpi weight.

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
yep!!!!!!!
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Yes they are!  :thumbsup:
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses fellas.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
yes Carbon Express are the Best and tough to boot fly great and are Heavy 12gr"   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
IMO, the toughest carbon shaft I ever used is the now sadly discontinued Carbon Express Terminator Hunter.  Fortunately, I have quite a stash and will be shooting them for years to come. This is my arrow of choice for all my Trad shooting & hunting.

They were not only tough, but were reasonably priced. With a little internet shopping you can still find them, I recently scored another 2 dozen for $112.50!

I believe you can still get Terminator Hunter Selects which are pricy but still less than many other CX offerings.

BTW, a CX arrow with the "Hunter" designator indicates it has the Buff Tuff wrap, normally the full length of the shaft.  This wrap is the secret to their durability and also adds weight.  Their arrows with the "FOC Technology" designator have the Buff Tuff wrap on the front 2/3 or so of the shaft.

I've always suspected the CX Heritage shafts are Terminator Hunters with the Buff Tuff wrap finished to resemble wood, rather than finished in a camo pattern...

Were I looking at a current CX shaft, I would go with the Rebel Hunter.  Great GPI weight, Buff Tuff wrap, and much less expensive than the Heritage or Maximas...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Yep!!
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
tried to get them to shoot in 3 different bows. wouldnt say they shot bad, just not as good as my gold tips and vapors..

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Go with the CX Heritage 250's. They are very consistent. I have 5 dozen of them. Damn durable when met with cement wall in the basement too!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
I agree with the Heritage. I have hit objects other than the target at 3D shoots and still holding up.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
CX Heritage...   :thumbsup:

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Thinkin bout trying them but not quite sure yet - maybe the Aramid KVs? in a 250 taste

Have never shot them but friends  that shoot em swear by em.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
They are GREEEEEEAAAAAAT !!!
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©