3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood or carbon?  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood or carbon?
« on: March 03, 2024, 11:22:45 AM »
Hi all,
As a newbie I am binge watching a lot of trad hunting videos , I notice a lot if guys are using woods, is this because they are more effective? Or because of a purist approach being that they are using a wooden bow? I only currently have carbons, but not averse to trying woods  in fact I rather fancy the idea

Offline bowbender1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood or carbon?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 12:23:19 PM »
Not sure if you're talking arrows, bows, or both. Certainly for both they are more "traditional". For arrows if you've never shot woodies they're worth a try. Absolutely nothing wrong with carbon limbs or arrows. It is just your choice and preference. I used to hand make all my woodies and enjoyed shooting and using them. I have shot them all and to me the only important thing is that the arrow is tuned to your bow and flies straight. Have fun and experiment.

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 01:35:30 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  I'm sorry I probably didn't make myself clear,  I did mean arrows .

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 01:47:40 PM »
For myself it's wood arrows. I guess it's more of a purist thing. I've been shooting a longbow exclusively for 44 years now and I did shoot some aluminums out of it in my early stages. Carbons weren.t even around yet. I love making a nice matched set of nice wood arrows that I can outshoot my friends with who are shooting carbons. I have never owned a carbon arrow so I guess that makes me a bit biased.  Starting out you may not want to learn the idiosyncrasies of shooting wood at first.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 02:11:48 PM »
I've been shooting wood with trad bows
since the mid 1980's and don't plan to change. Back in my training wheel days I shot aluminum but only because wood wasn't recommended. I also make my own wood arrows from store bought shafting, shafting turned by friends, cane and hardwood shoot shafts like sourwood and red osier dogwood.
 Even though I do have a few glass lam bows I mostly shoot selfbows or wood, bamboo or sinew backed bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 04:08:45 PM »
I just like wood better, just like the warm feeling better than cold aluminum or carbon.
I also think they are more forgiving with a poor release.  :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Chad R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 07:10:16 PM »
I enjoy carrying and shooting wood arrows the most… even though there are a lot of logical reasons to shoot carbon.

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 07:28:16 PM »
For me the decision is based on what will consistently be part of a high rate of accuracy in placing the arrow where I want it to hit. I shoot wood, carbon and aluminum and I base my choice simply on what provides me the best results. I don't choose based on nostalgia simply because what works for someone does not necessarily mean it will work for me. My current setup for Turkey includes a carbon arrow with weight tubes, and my setup for this fall will be hard rock maple wood arrows. They all work well as long as you get the results you are after. The beauty is having choices.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 08:02:51 PM »
Started with wood in 1969 and stayed with wood until the mid 70's where I transitioned to aluminum and then to carbon in the early 90's... quite satisfied with carbons.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 09:39:15 PM »
I use all 3. Carbons for durability, aluminum because it’s easier for me to tune, wood for old times sake. There is a learning curve with wood arrows. Such as storing them correctly, keeping them straight, how changes in humidity can affect them. Now making them is my way of relaxing and forgetting my aches and pains.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 09:54:34 PM »
I shot wood for more than 50 years, but I'm shooting more carbons now, in part because wood has become so expensive, even though I make my own arrows.  And, carbon is just a lot more durable.  Though the up front cost for carbons is more, because they're more durable, the longer term costs will be less.  I still use mostly wood for hunting though.  Just as accurate and a bit quieter off the bow. 

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 09:59:01 PM »
I was in the testing mode and took tapered wood, aluminum, and carbon(Beman 400, 340, Warriors and AD); all within a dozen grains of weight.  At about 18-20 yards they all clumped together, at 25-30 yards the wood started to spread out a little(8-10").  Aluminum and carbon were still tight.  At 35-40 yards the carbons were still clumping.  As you might imagine I hunt predominantly with tapered, footed wood, good to 20+ yards.  I sometimes hunt hogs with aluminum(2219), so as not to damage my beauties.  Have never hunted with carbons, just don't see the need.  These results are all from 63-66# bows recurve and D/R longbow.  Have a smattering of carbons that I will throw on occasion and recently acquired some CX Heritage carbons I am impressed with.  Still don't feel the need to hunt with anything other than what I have for a long time.  Wood is good.  IMVHO but YMMV.  If I was going to be taking longer 30-40 yard shots I might be persuaded to adjust.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 09:02:10 AM »
Some Brill feedback there fellas, really appreciate it.
I think I should get some woods made up and give them a try for curiosity sake.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 05:27:17 PM »
My experience has been that 10-11 GPP with my bows leaves my woodies laying on the ground on the other side, so no breakage.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 09:37:26 AM »
I an a hunter, and shoot tradbows only.  I shoot mostly carbon and also some woods from time to time.  Mostly from the 2 selfbows I made.

Try a half dozen of each.   :bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 11:54:21 PM »
I'm like dnovo, I've never owned a carbon.  I can usually get wood shafts for a dollar or a little more a shaft.  I make a lot of my own fletching from wild turkey feathers and have friends save them for me so wood arrows are inexpensive for me which is important because I do a lot of small game hunting.  I also like that they are more traditional and I enjoy making them.   If someone wasn't equipped to make arrows or didn't have the time, I would think carbon or aluminum would probably be the way to go though.

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 04:51:04 AM »
Yet again,  thanks for your input fellas, I really do appreciate it.  I have decided to buy some wooden shafts, I bought a bohning jig and a load of feathers etc last night on line, everything is a lot more expensive over here as it all comes from over there.

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 07:40:41 AM »
I only make and shoot wood arrows.   I enjoy making my own for sure.   I have 6  Bitzenbergers which speeds up the process.  The Bohning jig does a nice job also.

Have fun!!!!  >>>-------->

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:34:01 PM by Deno »
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 09:53:42 AM »
Just a note when making your wood arrows. Be sure to learn to orient the nock the correct way with the wood grain of the shaft and also to make sure the nocks are glued on straight. That's the most important part to me. A crooked nock will not allow an arrow to fly straight.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 10:45:08 AM »
Duly noted  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©