3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood or carbon?  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood or carbon?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2024, 06:31:57 PM »
I also enjoy both wood and carbons.  Don't use aluminums at all anymore as I don't see a need.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2024, 09:24:57 PM »
I build my own woodies. It's fun!
To be fair, I've shot carbon and aluminums out of my trad bows as well, but hard to beat the smell of fresh cedar shafts and the enjoyment of creating something out of a pile of sticks.

Aim small,miss small

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 03:47:51 PM »
Pretty cresting Kirk.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2024, 04:27:36 PM »
Here are some I recently made.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 08:58:14 PM »
Pretty cresting Kirk.

Thanks! They were fun to build! The blue ones I made for my son for Christmas a few years back. :campfire:
Aim small,miss small

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2024, 08:58:52 PM »
Here are some I recently made.

Those are gorgeous! Especially the green ones.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2024, 09:42:53 PM »
My arrows are utility versions.  Maybe a crown dip and stain.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2024, 12:54:31 PM »
Some lovely looking arrows there.  Making my own really appeals as I do leatherwork and made a few knives, so anything like this I am drawn to.

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2024, 01:19:16 PM »
Looking at our limited supplies over here, I can get port Orford cedar, German spruce, or bearpaw spruce shafts,  in 11/32 or 5/16 , unfortunately we have tge ridiculous metric system over here, so I don't know which size to choose,  the bearpaw are the most expensive shafts at £2.20 each, I definitely want to buy the best quality I can.

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2024, 02:42:21 PM »
Well I love wood arrows...but if you aren't very adept at tuning for spine, like we all were starting out.. Carbon lend themselves to the tuning process a little easier..Wood arrows are each very individual, being a natural fiber. If you start with wood I wood definitely advise buying a spine test kit, not a bunch that you THINK are close. Every bow, every archer, every fletching, every knock, might be right for one setup But shoot a little different for the next guy\girl. I have been amazed how one how only 2-3# different from one bow to the next won't shoot the same arrow. Just my experience, get a half dozen or more in pairs of different spine..two in say 40-45, two on 45-50- two in 50-55 and so on with what you think is the right spine smack dab in the middle of the variety you order. The # that you draw the bow to is the key. Anchor and release and form make a difference. At the beginning you may find you like X, then a month later may like Y, having some choices at the beginning will make the process less daunting\Crazy. Again..Wood arrows are somewhat like fingerprints.. say you find what spine.and point you like, and purchase a dozen..get them all setup with points and nocks..then shoot them all at your favorite target..don't be surprised to find that out of that dozen you only really like 9..and the other three really fly different. And then halfway through summer only 3 of the original are your favourites.. I have found that wood can also gain weight in the form of moisture.. Then there's straighteing, you WILL have to straighten your arrows, and the process of straightening I have found to at times on certain arrows affect the spine. All in all its just a question of how much effort you deem worth what you are achieving. I love wood arrows! But wouldn't subject a new archer to the process on his\her own. Once you have your basics down using carbon I'd say have at it! With carbon once you have your arrow figured out you could buy two dozen arrows and points cut them and assemble them just like the one you tuned to your liking and they all pretty much fly like a clone of the first..without getting into the nock tuning masters degree stuff..lol! as far as accuracy goes..if the arrow is tuned for your bow\you..there ain't a discernible difference that I can quantify. The carbon are just a bit easier..for me..but I still enjoy shooting wood...hunted all last year with wood..but really hate it when I have to change out a broken nock and the glue peels the nock taper off a wood shaft I have worked on to get flying perfect..replacing nocks on carbon is a breeze. anyhow just a few of my thoughts..

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2024, 05:16:06 PM »
My goodness! That's got to be the most detailed and comprehensive reply I've ever had to a question on any forum! Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. 
As a relative newbie to all of this I have so many questions,  it must get monotonous reading so many questions that have most likely been asked before.  I have noticed that there is a real will to help on this particular place, I am so great full to have found it.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2024, 10:16:57 PM »
Wood can be interesting.  I personally prefer tapered shafts or tapered and footed shafts.  They seem to fly more consistently for me.  My main hunting bows ranges from 63-66#, two longbows and a recurve.  That lets me shoot the same arrows from all three bows.  I have lighter and heavier bows, that need different arrows.  Personally, I find carbons very finicky and hard to tune.  I cause that woodies have been a part of my shooting history for so long they just fit.  Also shoot a few heavy Easton aluminum arrows that I like.  22xx shafts.  The journey makes it all worth it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 06:50:01 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”