3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Define Traditional...  (Read 1455 times)

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Define Traditional...
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Maybe I'm just in a philosophical mood, but the Hoyt thread got me thinking a little;

How do define traditional equipment? Is it the bow, the arrow, the accessories, the attitude, or something more?

Lets hear it...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Define Traditional...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
The bow...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Not really sure.  Not sure if I care either.  Personally I was just looking for a challenge because my compound bow became like shooting with a rifle.  It just 'feels better' shooting my recurves and my vortex and I enjoy being able to see progress in my shooting.  People can label away, but I don't look down on anyone shooting a compound, recurve with sights, shooting with an elevated rest, or using guided missiles for arrows.  I just choose not to at the moment, although I am shooting carbon, aluminum or composite arrows because of the durability.  Someday I may shoot wood.  Who knows?

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Here we go again!!!  :biglaugh:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
in these days the only thing traditional is in Your mind. Everyone has a different way to see it. Selfbows, wood arrows, stone points & the different kinds of string material. In these days there are some that think wheelie bows are traditional archery gear, same with the center fire firearms or may I say in-line smokepoles... Using a computer, cell phones & blackberries...NOT traditional by any means 20 years ago, but wait another 20 and it will be...

I feel it's all in the head of the person... I like my shrew hybrid long bow & wood'n arrows with a big old 160 grn snuffer.. is this traditional, to some NOPE...to Me YES ....

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
As Van said....."The Bow"

When you draw the bow,you draw the full weight of the bow, un-assisted.

When you hold the bow at full draw,You hold the entire weight of the bow at full draw, un-assisted.

I hear lots of compound shooters "bragging" that they can hold thier bow at full draw for 2-3 minutes. When I ask them to draw and hold my 53# longbow.....Most can't even hold it 2-3 SECONDS!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
To me it is any bow without wheels.The term didn't even exist untill the resurgence of recurve and longbow interest after a long dominance by compounds.It was invented to seperate the two.

Now though many of the archery aids and equipment that was invented long before compounds is deemed, unworthy, by a group trying to be more "traditional".

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Its using hunting bows and arrows and strategy with a mindset that puts challenge and simplicity and gamesmanship above self-servitude and gadgetry.  In a nutshell, its the K.I.S.S. concept applied to bowhunting.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I think its the person behind the equipment.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Once again....

What I quickly discovered when I re-entered the current Trad world is about the time you think you are really Trad because you are hunting in buckskins and leather with a top end custom recurve and woodies, there's some guy hunting buck naked with an original plains indian stick bow and hand knapped flints who considers you a clothes wearing hi-tech pantywaist.   :D  

So being I figure the only person I have to satisfy in this regard is myself. As my signature says, I'm as Trad as I wanna be.   :thumbsup:  

Roughly 60% of my archery time is spent shooting/hunting with one of my recurves. The remaining 40% of my archery time I shoot one of a couple compounds I have set up for barebow/fingers, or one of a couple I have that are shot sights/release.  Doesn't make me any less Trad when I'm using a recurve, and I'm rather pleased that I can shoot well in three entirely different archery styles.  

So once again for the record; as far as I'm concerned, Trad is one string with no wheels, eccentrics, etc. (no, I don't think Oneida bows are Trad, before someone brings them up). IMO it's irrelevant what the riser/limbs are made of as long as the bow is a single stringed recurve, longbow, or permutation thereof, drawn & released by hand (or thumb ring).  

What about sights?  Back in the 60's-70's, most of us used some form of simple pin sight on our recurves.  I still have original Bear recurve sights in my cache.  That was a basic part of Trad then, so it must be now, too.  

As for arrows & fletchings; carbon, alums, woodies, feathers or vanes, it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Broadheads; from a purely practical standpoint it's aximomatic that cut on contacts work best with the relatively low KE of Trad, but if you shoot replacable blades and have enough buck to make em' work, more power to ya...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Without Wheels, after that to each his own.
Enough said
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
NO COMPOUNDS . The end.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
I think  no cams or wheels creating let off is a traditional bow to me (just my opinion).

I also do think it is in some way an attitude as well.  

I hunt this way because I wanted a simpler way to hunt.

Not too many people can understand how nice it is to grab a couple arrows, your bow and sit next to a tree without a million gadgets to worry about losing or organizing.  

I have Ferret to thank for encouraging me to get back to bare basics. This last season was the best I ever had for more reasons than I can count, but the biggest one is many of the guys I have met here.

That is just my 2 cents.

-Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Van/TX:
The bow...Van
Yep!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Went to my last 'trad' shoot, a couple of years ago and couldn't turn in a score 'cause all I had were carbon arrows.
And mine were GT 55/75 w/ 125 gr. tips and I shoot split finger.
Someone had beat some of the locals with light carbons and three under and 'aiming', so they didn't like 'em.

But I wasn't 'trad' enough. Last competition I ever wasted gas on!

In my mind, I'm trad. Got carbon in my longbow, why not my arrows?
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Anyone can play with words and most of it is done out of context.  The word itself applies to so many things it has become irrelevant.  And the argument of what is and what isn't, has also become irrelevant.   About the only thing I'm sure if is I don't shoot no stinkin' wheel bows 8^).

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
If I have to define it, you won't understand  :biglaugh:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Speaking in general terms and not in terms of a tournament definition or classification:

I like the definition found in The "Bow'n Dictionary of Traditional Archery Terms"

-(traditional archery / 1) Simply "bows and arrows" (see tradition). 2) Usually refers to the use, creation, or study of simple traditional bows (and possibly traditional arrows). Often associated with instinctive shooting and bowhunting, and the wearing of traditional clothing . See also primitive archery. More importantly, traditional archery involves the passing down of archery skills, crafts, history, and values (traditions) to family and friends, and the use of archery as non-competitive recreation and fellowship.)

It is my tradition to call the equipment "tackle", and the tackle was all the equipment used in the traditional archery defined above. I'll also note that what was tradition for one person, one family, or one region, may not have been tradition for another. An example is the sight pins. I grew up as a third generation bow hunter who was taught by both my dad and grandfather. I saw sights in target archery, but these sights on a hunting longbow or recurve was a rare thing in my circles. I recently took possession of my dad's '61 Kodiak Magnum that has been in storage since the mid '60s. This bow is in new condition and still has one of those rare homemade pin sights that grandfather installed only because of his failing eyes. I have the '61 Bear Archery Catalog that goes w/ this bow. In this catalog there are over two dozen pictures of bows and bows in action. None have sights. There are only two sights offered for sale in the entire catalog and both are target aperture sights. One is the Muller available w/ the Victor prism, and the other is the Hoyt w/ Prism lense. Both sights are/were far too bulky for hunting.

The traditional archery that defines me today is based on this family archery tradition which cannot be changed by another's definition. Same as mine cannot change your definition. The satisfaction you receive from your own personal archery experience is defined in your own individual terms. It need not fit into some rigid PC cookie cutter term or class just to satisfy others. This forum may cover many in broad brush terms, but such broad brush terms do not necessarily define each of us as individuals.

This is a big reason why I've stuck w/ stickbow hunting all these years, as it empowers you to find your own style and to walk your own path.

Daddy Bear

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »
No Wheels....No Headaches....Life is GOOD...   ;)

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©