3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Define Traditional...  (Read 1459 times)

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Define Traditional...
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Some of us like driving the latest model car with everything on it and some of us like driving 57 Chevy's
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
No compounds!!

Eric

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Have to agree with Van.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
The only one(s) that need to define it are those that run a competition.  In that case, for their competition, that definition is valid.  At another shoot, perhaps a different definition is used.  It's valid there.  If you agree with it, shoot there, if you don't agree, shoot elsewhere.  The big thing is, keep shooting, keep having fun, and don't let technology rule you.  The reason to shoot trad is for the challenge and to improve YOUR skill.  IMO, we should not be shooting trad in order to meet the criteria required to join some club.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
Bows without training wheels, accessories that predate training wheel bows, including those broadheads with moving parts, sights and releases.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
I dont call it traditional.  I call it superior.  I can do things with the recurve and longbow that that are impossible with a compound.  Even if that compound has sights.  

If I am losing the "tradition"  by using carbon arrows (which I dont), or by having a bow that has fiberglass, carbon, or foam, in it, or by using a GPS while I hunt or any such things than I guess I am not traditional, but at least I am having fun and improving my chances of taking game.  

It easier to hunt with traditional gear.  It does however take patience to become proficient with it.  But once that proficiency is earned it is the better way of hunting.  I started for the challenge then found out it was less challenging to take game.  Enter, small game hunting.  Extremely challenging.  Great fun.  Next to impossible with a wheelie.  Areial shooting, archery golf, upland bird hunting, stump shooting:  all impossible with a wheelie.  This is my opinion, but it is also my life.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Sunday dinner!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
I choose to use a stick and a string and arrow.

why muddy it up with a label.

Does it make it any better because the label it like a piece of clothing, that wears out and we throw it away !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I would have to make you feel what I feel when walking the high ground for you to understand what traditional means to me.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
What Van said !

Got me thinking though. If a  guy shoots compound,(I don't) no sights, no release, no stabilizer, no range finder, etc., etc. Isn't he somewhat traditional ?  On the other hand, if a stick bow shooter shoots with release, sights,etc., etc. he is still trad but is he  anymore so then the unaided compound shooter?

Just pondering.
Just asking

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by loco_cacahuate:
Some of us like driving the latest model car with everything on it and some of us like driving 57 Chevy's
Or 66 Skylarks and shoot old bear Kodiak recurves...

See all that shiney stuff on the Buick...that's called chrome...

:bigsmyl:
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
"traditional" is a word.   We chose that word because there is no other word that we decided suits us.  "traditional" means something to me, but it may not mean that to you.  

It is my opinion that the only thing that we can agree on is that the phrase "traditional archery" means that wheels are not included.   Everything else is a modifyer.  

Some people see a blue car,     others might see a big fast, awesome, shiny, loud (obnoxious ?), racy, gas guzzling, pollution spouting, oil leaking, wonderful, comfortable, chick loving, memorable, dark blue car.... with dice hanging.  

The difference is up to you, but they are both still cars.   By the way... maroon Buicks are nice too !
ChuckC

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
Who give s D**= if you enjoy it and it works for you and is legal hey its all good.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
Traditional equals the bow and arrow. Metal handled center shot fully adjustable bows or laser straight NASA space composite arrows... Well this is in the eye of the shooter. These things would fail my "personal" traditional test; but of course thats just for me. I started into trad archery because I wanted challenge. If I am not good enough the get it done; then I need to be better.
Shoot what ever works for you because we are still all brothers that pull the string. My personal trad test doesn't amount to a d**n thing and shouldn't to anyone else.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
I like the Sunday Dinner!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
"Traditional"?  "Doing more with less."

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Got me thinking though. If a guy shoots compound,(I don't) no sights, no release, no stabilizer, no range finder, etc., etc. Isn't he somewhat traditional ? On the other hand, if a stick bow shooter shoots with release, sights,etc., etc. he is still trad but is he anymore so then the unaided compound shooter?
No to both questions.

What Van said!

Steve

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Ok, I'll ask.  Why is 'traditional' limited to just the bow?

JL, thats a sweet car.

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
Because that's the rule.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Trad is just a label to define bows without wheels. Nothing more. Thats it. The end.Doesn't matter if you have carbon or high tech glues, as long as there are no wheels. They should have just called it "wheelless" archery and there would be no discussion.

Nice car!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©