3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Define Traditional...  (Read 1458 times)

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Define Traditional...
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by jimmerc:
It's  the bow but along with that comes the mind set of a time past and less poisened by modern day, when you could leave your doors unlocked ,when your harvest ment food for your family! you judged not,and were not judged! when you respected the game you sought and felt balence with nature! a step back to a better way, a cleaner way! this all I believe is what we seek when we pick up the stick and string!  just my 2 cents! Jim
So it's basically a romantic percpetion of the past?

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Realizing just what the heck you found so magical about flinging hardware store woods out of the old mans lemonwood at a peatmoss bag out back behind the garage. Saving a whole years worth of icecream money to buy that Bear 76'er at the local department store. 30 years later, still magical, still saving ice cream money for another bow ...Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
"traditional" is just a name we give to the equipment we use in order to distinguish it from compound bows.  All the rest is a matter of personal taste.  How deeply (or not) you want to immerse yourself is up to you.
ChuckC

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
As you can see, traditional becomes philosophical when discussed in depth.  The whole context gets out of whack and we forget we are looking for a genre specific definition.  The good thing is it all applies in one way or another.

It's a tradition to put up a Christmas tree after Thanksgiving.  It's a tradition to shoot-in our rifles on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  It's a tradition to sharpen broadheads the night before opening day of archery season.  

And,  if you think about it,  it is traditional for some folks to use compound bows ever year, so the word has many contexts.  It was meant, from the start, to differentiate stickbows from other types...compounds, crossbows, etc.  Yet we drift into this abyss of ethereal goo everytime some mentions the word traditional in reference to archery equipment.  

I mostly refer to my equipment as, "aesthetically pleasing, period specific, eclectic ephemera."    Well....actually I refer to them as stick bows.  :p    :rolleyes:

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ia Hawkeye:
What Van said !

Got me thinking though. If a  guy shoots compound,(I don't) no sights, no release, no stabilizer, no range finder, etc., etc. Isn't he somewhat traditional ?  On the other hand, if a stick bow shooter shoots with release, sights,etc., etc. he is still trad but is he  anymore so then the unaided compound shooter?

Just pondering.
Just asking
Traditional, Yes!.. Primitive?  No!
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline OsageDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Traditional to me means NON-Commercial.  It doesnt matter if it's Bows, or Fishing gear or your holiday decorations or folk music.  If you can satisfy all your needs by walking in a big box and getting everything in one trip odds are it you aren't being traditional.  If you have to interact with individuals, craftsmen, make something yourself, use creativity or patience or learn something from someone wiser than you it's probably more traditional.  Anytime something is subjected to to a focus group, marketing or advertising agency, or cost benefit analysis for mass production purposes, a bit of its soul will get sucked out in the process and thus making it less traditional.   Compound bows and all the gadgets that come with them by definition fall into this category.  I enjoyed purchasing my osage self bow because I got to meet the nice fellow who built it and talk with him about it and admire the workmanship.  This fosters a respect for the tradition and art.  It humanizes it, makes it unique, sacred.   You don't get this experience in the check out line of Cabelas.  Just my 2 cents.
55#@28 Osage Self-Bow

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Everything else is modern, this style go's back, way back.

Some day I'd like to get to this level.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Sure, you have to start with the bow, but how many threads have you read where guys are still trying to set up their bows worried about speeed, sigts, or releases. Certainly their right, but it is a little like trying to put a V-8 on a "buck Board".

It is the bow, but much, much, more. In fact, you can't take the mindset, or spirit out of the equation.

To me, and this is just my opinion, it is the willingness to accept a piece of equipment, this is harder to masters, accepting it's difficulty,  becoming a better, more skilled hunter.  

Not because this basic bow is less a efficient, but because it requires more practice, and woodsmanship in order to become consistantly successful.  It is also the willingness to accept the fact that success may mean the hunt, rather than a kill.  

It is finding the pleasure in the pursuit, rather than what may be laying at the end of a short blood trail, even though that too is what we seek.

It is the enjoyment of witnessing the birth of a new day , and the somber feeling of watching that day as it retires into our memory forever.

That is what it means to me.  If you idea is different, I respect you, as we see, and seek what we want, need, according to our souls.  

My hope to you is that you find it,  where ever, and when ever you seek it, regardless of the form it may take.  

Nuff Said.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
What one considers traditional is a matter of personal opinion.  Kinda depends on how far back a person wants to go.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Traditional.....A mind set!!! Do you hunt with a bow  made of more than one type of wood? Do you hunt with anything other than wooden arrows? Are your tips stone or metal? Do you use a climbing/lockon treestand? Do you hunt from a popup blind? Do you wear scent loc type clothing? Let's see, we could add few more things. Traditional? We all like to think we are to some extent...But look at just how TRADITIOAL each of us maybe!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Longarrow you just made my point.  If one is to be more accurate about the time when hunting with a bow became a sport, rather than a means of supporting one's life, then you would start in the 1920's or the 30's when the movement to obtaining a special season came into being.

That stuff about stone points and wooden arrows have run it's course.  We are not talking stone age, and we are not talking elite attitudes here.  What we are talking about is the personal thought, and spirit.  Yes, my bow has several woods, and has a synthetic string.  It is also a heck of a lot closer to what "Fred Flintstone" might have used than the latest "Hoyt" with wheels.  Let's not become our own worste ememies, as we so often do.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
It's in your heart.bowdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
Thank you "bowdoc", brevity is the soul of wit, and you have said it all.  When I started they called it bow hunting.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
Well I might just as well throw my two cents worth in here too I guess.

When I started I was 9 or 10 and they were having archery as one of the contests at the school summer sports meets.

We were the corinthians and we didn't have anyone in the archery event...so I decided to take one for the team.

They had 25# fiberglass recurves and arrows of all different kinds.

We got 5 practice shots first and then the competition started. So I picked my 3 arrows (it think they were all different lengths etc..ever bin there). So I shot one arrow and it jumped up and curled to the right and drop about 5 inches.

The next one kinda went sidways but straighter, the next not to shabby.

I tried to remember which ones did what. Now I was a baseball pitcher so curves and drop balls and sliders well it's what I did.

So it starts and I think we shot at 15 yards and then at 10 yards...three each.

Well be darned if I didn't win and beat a kid that actually had his own bow.

I was hooked, but I knew you needed a real bow with the right arrows..didn't know what to do about that but I thought that would be a good start.

So I talked to my dad and he was a big rifle guy so forget it. So I had some money and I bought a red fiberglass bow and some different arrows to try (I think they were fiberglass too).

I practiced and found the right ones and bought 4 or 5 of them.

Well I practiced and practiced...not even a nock point or glove (nobody to teach me...still there actually).

Just shot off a fiberglass shelf. Got pretty good too. Shot some small game..gophers and ground hogs and some blue grouse.

When I got to be 13 I bought a bow that had a wooden handle and fiberglass limbs. I got my first rabbit with it. by the end of the summer I got a real bow.

My dad sprung for a wood fiberglass recurve bow for me - 40 pounds..I was moving up.

He took me hunting that fall and hunting with a bow back then was called primitive weapons I think.

I didn't shoot anything and dad got skunked so I thought I did ok. I actually got some grouse though. Dad started teaching me about the bush and about animals habits etc. He wasn't a very talkative guy. He was my step father and I don't know if he really even liked kids but he was kind...just didn't say toooo much.

So primitive to me I guess was just using the bare neccessities and lots of practice. To have fair chase as the biggest part of the experience.

So what is fair chase anyways...hmmmmm. Is it using every piece of technological advantage we can muster up to go out and try to outwit our quarry...dunno...or is it like many have written. To pursue our game on their level. To spend enough time in the field learning their habits (not using electronic gadgets to do our scouting for us like many of the cameras do now).

Now I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here and maybe it's just a sign of the times. People are so busy chasing the dream that they just don't have the time cause they are spending so much of theirs, working to pay off the massive debts now to pay for all the technology that they need that advantage to give them a chance to get their quarry in the limited time they have to hunt now...dunno.

What I do know though is that the more time you spend in the woods learning about your quarry the more respect you will have for them.

They have it pretty tough out there. Coyotes trying to make a living...enduring the harsh cold and lack of food and being shot at 70 plus yards (with any kind of weapon)I don't think is fair chase. Fair chase is just that..fair for you and them. Deer trying to stay alive. Coming out in the complete darkness just to escape the hordes of wannabee hunters that are after the prize on their heads, but limited with time to actually spend in the bush (thats' me too so don't get me wrong here). I would love to spend more time out there, but my time is limited too. What I don't worry about though is my success rate. I judge my success by what time I get to SPEND IN THE WOODS, not by what I bring back from them...maybe I'm wierd.

I just know if they had guns...we would all be in serious trouble and maybe that would be fair chase.

Jer Bear

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
With only one exception, who cares?  The only time a definition is needed is when there is a regulation to meet in order to shoot.  Then the definition is set by the body in charge.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline mcgyver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Traditional?
My Dad was taught to shoot by his Dad with long bow.
Dad had a hard time accepting the new fangled recurve.
My Dad taught me to shoot with a recurve.
I never did take to them compounds.
I am teaching my Grand children to shoot a recurve (the same one dad gave me).
That, to me, is Tradition you can hold in your hand.
Maybe my Grand kids will teach their Grand kids on a compound, I'll just be happy that they pass on the Tradition.   :pray:
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestioned ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
* Henry David Thoreau *

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
"Define Traditional"

Why?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
This is one of those questions, that makes ya go,"Huuuuummmmm!"

Be true to your heart and beliefs!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Being an Old man everything I thought was Traditional has been thrown out of the category by people that wernt even running around with a load in their diapers at the time I started shooting. Ive always assumed that Trad meant before the compound came out. It was a time when if you put sights or a small stabilizer on your bow nobody looked at it like it was of another planet. You never heard you cant shoot with that setup at a fun "non scoring" shoot...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
Jeff........Perfect!!  just what first came to mind when I read this.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©