3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old BW brace height  (Read 2143 times)

Offline SNGDG243

• Trad Bowhunter
Old BW brace height
« on: March 05, 2024, 11:11:00 AM »
Hello Trad experts!
First post ever so......
I have an all black Black Widow TD from 1976-77.
As you can see, magnesium riser, etc
58" 50# @ 28 that's all I can see, no M#, no serial
String is about 53" strung, brace height 10" maybe a touch more, noc point about +3/8", tiller seems to be ever so slightly negative (bottom limb +1/16 or less).
Note: although I shot the hell out of it when I was young and occasionally over the years, I am a NOVICE - I just shot the thing as it was provided
with aluminum 2019s with vanes. I have new carbon arrows spec'd by a pro shop - seems to shoot well but I'm not a good judge.
Brace height seems high-is this okay? Again, as set up by Wilson or the shop it came from.
Noc seems a bit high too - acceptable?
I've always shot split finger, with the neutral tiller, should I switch to 3 under?
Any other thoughts you might have are welcome.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old BW brace height
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 03:05:36 PM »
A rule of thumb for brace height is 13% of the bow's length.  13% of 58 is about 7 1/2”. In modern Black Widows, you might want to add a half inch to that for the extra deflex BW builds into their bows, but I don't know if that applies to the Wilson era.  Without knowing more than I do, a brace height of 10” seems way higher, perhaps dangerously higher, than it should be.  A 3/8” nock point seems low, but possible if you're using an elevated rest.  Most of my trad bows have nock points in the 1/2-5/8” range, or even higher if shooting 3 under.  Brace height and nock height are usually fine tuned by the shooter to take differences in bows, arrows, and shooting styles into account.

Welcome to TradGang!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SNGDG243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 05:59:27 PM »
Thanks for the help McDave! I've sent the guys at BW an email - I'll let you know what they say. I've learned a lot in the past few days and 10" BH does seem awfully high.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 10:23:37 AM »
I should add, since you state that you are a novice, that I measure nock height from the level mark on the bow square to the bottom of the indicator nock, and I nock the arrow with the arrow nock under the indicator nock.

I believe this is the default way to communicate nock height when no additional information is given; however, some people nock over the indicator nock, and others measure nock height from the level mark on the bow square to the bottom of the arrow, so it's probably a good idea to make sure we are comparing apples with apples.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Spottedwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 06:37:19 PM »
I have a Wilson Brothers BW made in 1967 that's a one piece 60" 45lbs.@28". I run may brace height at 8 1/2" and nock set at 5/8 above center. Normally your string will be 4" shorter than your bow length on a recurve
Cari-Bow Slynx 60"/49 lbs.@28"
Horne Brushbow 62"/51 lbs@29"
BW LAG 66"/56 lbs.@29"
Poison Dart 62"/46 lbs.@29"

Offline SNGDG243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 11:10:04 AM »
You guys are spot on. Roger from BW got back to me and said BH should be 8 1/4" - 9" and 8 1/2” should be good. String should be 54 1/2” AFTER stretch. Nock should be 1/2” - 5/8”. For what it's worth, BH depends on riser/grip design. With the reverse mount limbs and grip forward design, these bows need a slightly longer brace height than more typical designs. Old news to many but interesting to me anyway.
Thanks for the help!

Online Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 12:33:10 PM »
You guys are spot on. Roger from BW got back to me and said BH should be 8 1/4" - 9" and 8 1/2” should be good. String should be 54 1/2” AFTER stretch. Nock should be 1/2” - 5/8”. For what it's worth, BH depends on riser/grip design. With the reverse mount limbs and grip forward design, these bows need a slightly longer brace height than more typical designs. Old news to many but interesting to me anyway.
Thanks for the help!

Yup, hang around here for any length of time and you will be gifted with a wealth of collective knowledge.  :campfire:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 05:44:44 PM »
I shot my HS takedowns at around 8” or maybe just a tad more. 3/8” nock point with your elevated rest is neither too low nor too high, nock the arrow under.

Tiller is very hard to measure on a painted limb. Where did you measure it? Should be 1/8-1/4” positive tip limb.

I know pictures can be deceiving but when I look at your strung profile sure looks like the top limbs is weaker/should measure more at fade-outs than bottom.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 05:50:03 PM »
Oh in order to see the serial number you have to take the bow apart. It is stamped in the end of the limbs.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©