3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To quiver? Or not to quiver?  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
To quiver? Or not to quiver?
« on: March 09, 2024, 04:00:51 AM »
That is the question!
Morning all from across the pond.
I have a ragim blackhawk that has a quiver attached,  I have a slickstick that is bare, I shoot best with the bare bow, and enjoy its lightness, but... I always feel the blackhawk is a lot steadier in the aim because of presumably the extra mass?.
Is there a good argument for quiver on bow than off? Can you sum up your preferences.
Thanks for reading.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To quiver? Or not to quiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 05:45:45 AM »
The two bows appear similar in many respects.  Is your Slickstick a longbow or a recurve?  58” is a short bow, so depending on your draw length you may be approaching or into stacking.  Do you notice any disproportionate increase in draw weight as you approach full draw with either bow?  Similar though they may be, they are different bows and have different grips.  Do you prefer one grip over the other?

Type of bow, stacking, and grip are all more important considerations than bow quiver.  Bow mass is not insignificant, however, and most people find a bow with higher mass weight easier to shoot accurately.

One typically does not see target archers with quivers mounted on their bows, because bow quivers bring their own problems of increased noise and inconvenience for target use.  These are both minor problems that can be solved if a bow quiver is important for the archer.  They do add a little mass weight to the bow, although perhaps not in the ideal spot for balance.

If the bow will be used for hunting with a bow quiver, it is recommended that the quiver be left on the bow, full of arrows, while practicing, because the balance does change with a bow quiver attached, and it is best to get used to it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Mole trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 08:07:15 AM »
That is an extremely in depth reply,  much to think on there, thank you for taking the time to do that.
My slickstick does indeed get harder to pull, it's a 40lb, but I am drawing 30"
The blackhawk is only a 35lb but no problem with it stacking,  also just to add I don't think the slickstick is.
Thanks again.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 01:14:23 PM »
Whether no quiver, a 3,4,5 or 6 arrow bow quiver, I shoot the same as my form is still the same.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 03:22:27 PM »
I don't like a quiver on my bow mainly because they snag in thick brush.
Love a side quiver on a strap so I can get it behind me in thick stuff and the back in position when out in the open.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 08:09:33 PM »
I use to be a no bow quiver guy till I walked by Eagles Flight Quiver booth at a local shoot. Don told me him and Karen make bow quivers for folks that don’t like bow quivers and I’ve gottem on all my bows. Like Terry I shoot equal with or without. I like the idea of having it close as I’m subject to miss on occasion 😁

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 08:13:40 PM »
Pine, odd that we are exact opposites on thick brush.

When I ease my bow through the thickets I've already eased my bow quiver through as well. Nothing trailing behind me I can't see to hang up and bust me.

My bow quiver and fletch cover along with my bow serves as a blind of sorts breaking me up a bit while the animal is close and I am prepared to draw.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 09:55:39 PM »
My own style of hunting is stationary except when I was in New Zealand. My bows typically have significant mass. Thus, I much prefer not to have an attached quiver..
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 12:16:30 PM »
I love side quivers and bow quivers as well and hunt both one of my Longbows is setup with a bow quiver and one is not. 
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online hot hap 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 12:20:20 PM »
Ttt

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 12:33:31 PM »
I don't like a quiver on my bow mainly because they snag in thick brush.
Love a side quiver on a strap so I can get it behind me in thick stuff and the back in position when out in the open.

I'm just the opposite ... I much prefer a bow quiver getting through the thick stuff rather than a hip or back quiver. I once found a Kwikie Quiver full of arrows lying in a thick patch of buck brush that obviously had come off some poor hunters bow .... oops !!

On the LTR this year I tried a back quiver and really missed my bow quiver trying to get through that thick Texas brush.

Some recurve risers can get heavy and you have to match your quiver to the riser for better balance and feel. I prefer to have more arrows in my quiver than fewer and if hunting I like to have a Judo arrow in there too . When shooting 3D's I shoot my hunting setup, quiver full of arrows, but have my 3D arrows in my a back quiver.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 10:57:55 PM »
I like a light 5-6 arrow quiver to act as a counter balance when I cant my bow.  Always shot with one arrow missing, just like hunting.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 10:49:59 AM »
I prefer on the bow. I like the added mass, it's easier to maneuver through thick brush since if it's on the bow in front of me, I can see it, and arrows are easy to get to with minimal movement if needed. It's just more convenient having everything right there in one spot as well.

Offline Buck350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 12:11:12 PM »
I also tried to get through the brush with side, back and tube type quivers and they are no where near as user friendly than a bow quiver.  I also don't have a problem shooting on or off.

Online Brockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2024, 02:51:22 PM »
I prefer not to have a bow mounted quiver. I use a catquiver.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2024, 05:02:12 PM »
I agree w Terry, Ken, and Michael. Never been a hindrance getting thru crap. I would think the opposite would be true in regards to a back quiver or side quiver. Also more movement if a second shot is needed after a miss. (Which I don't BTW :thumbsup:)
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 07:33:34 PM »
I like hunting with a longbow with a Hill style back quiver that is easy to slide under arm in brush. It is faster to nock an arrow, and with 4 - 7 oz leather light and quiet. I will use a Catquiver in foul weather. I also use a Hybrid, "deflex-reflex" or recurve with a GN 5 arrow bow quiver that is light and balances ok on the bow. I don't like walking in steep areas, rocky terrain/hills, or blow down timber with an arrow on the bow or in a hand especially when footing is difficult. Safety comes first.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brokearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2024, 02:55:07 PM »
It really comes down to personal preference. I shoot well without a quiver, not as well as with a quiver as the missing weight throws me off. I like the added mass and the fact that I don’t have to remember my quiver when I’m in the woods is a big bonus. I know some guys that hate bow quivers but still shoot extremely well. Get one you can try on all your bows and see what feels best.
TallTines 62” 59@29
USMC

Offline Hill Style

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2024, 03:29:48 PM »
Everyone has their preference. But a word on the Hillstyle backquiver  and brush.
If your getting your backquiver hung up behind you in brush you are not using it as intended.
The back quiver should be slid under your arm and out of the way when slipping thru thick or overhanging brush, this takes maybe one second to accomplish and when thru the brush the quiver is easily slid right back into place. The back quiver is a tool and like any tool, using it wrong will not have satisfactory results.

A backquiver used properly is no more or less likely to snag on brush than a side quiver, bow quiver or a hand full of loose arrows.
Hold long hold wrong

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2024, 04:30:30 PM »
It really is just a matter of preference.  I've used every imaginable style quiver over the past 55 years.   I stopped looking about 15 years back.  I carry an over the shoulder pack with an attached quiver, no more issues.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©