Author Topic: Sound and Tiller  (Read 1935 times)

Online Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
Sound and Tiller
« on: March 13, 2024, 10:40:31 AM »
OK, looking for your opinion on this from seasoned bowyers.

On a bow I'm just finishing up.

Mapped the limbs on my new draw board to a perfect as I can see at 18"draw and 28"draw
Tiller is 1/8" positive (stronger bottom limb)
Shelf cut 1" above the throat.
String alignment grooves not files into to limb curve yet
Shoots right where I'm looking and has respectable speed
Brace height 7-3/8"
I draw 31"

-shooting 3 under there is more noise than I like, borderline loud
-shooting split, the noise is drastically reduced and near acceptable
-if I run brace under 7" it sounds better
-after filing string alignment grooves it helped quite a bit as well

Question is, would you weaken the top or the bottom limb and or raise the shelf height on the next bow.
I'll stick a Bear Weather rest on it this afternoon to test the shelf height theory.

I have noticed that with most of my bows, when I have someone with a sub 29" draw length they are much quieter.
The most silent bow I've ever built, I run a springy rest 1/4" above the shelf and it is stupid quiet.

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sound and Tiller
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 01:06:29 PM »
If you can, take a video of yourself drawing it. The balance and pressures of you drawing it in hand are generally different that on a board or tree. There could be enough there to make a difference. And if there is one limb a touch stronger it’ll tell you pretty quick by either a slight rocking of the bow or the nock of the arrow raising or lowering slightly compared to the plane of the handle.

From there, not a clue. But I do a little video tillering on my selfbows the last few inches and sometimes it tells me a lot of the bow doesn’t feel right.

Kyle

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 01:07:26 PM »
Oh and I just clamp my phone in my bench vice and take a video with the screen side camera to make sure it’s atleast somewhat lined up.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 01:50:28 PM »
You might ant to try bringing it in at even tiller.  lowering the brace height increases the preload tension on the string, which is why it starts quieting down doing that.

Every bow is a bit different even coming off the same form. Some are a wee bit faster or slower, and have slightly different tiller measurements, as well as sweet spots in brace height.  Type of string, and number of strands used can make a difference in the string tone.   I just fine tune mine thumping the string at brace until there is no buzz, then put some cat whiskers on it and call it a day….  .02 cent worth….
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 04:11:48 PM »
Try 1/8" negative or 0 :thumbsup:

You just said 3 under thumps and split is better.
I tiller all mine negative
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©