3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your Dream Bow? You only get one.  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
What is your Dream Bow? You only get one.
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
I was inspired by the thread about what "use" to be everyone's bow of choice.  Let's move to present day and pretend cost is not an issue for a moment.  What is the make/model for the one bow you'd love to have?  I am new to traditional archery, so I recently had to contemplate this question, with only a little information (and certainly no experience)to draw from. My choice is obvious below...it hasn't arrived yet, but it is in the works.   Make it count...you can have/shoot only one.     :archer:      :jumper:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your Dream Bow? You only get one.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
sheepeater or morrison
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Zipper elk horn riser. I shot one in Ohio a month back and fell in love. I will own, hopefully soon

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Oh yeah...forgot to add.  Since I am new to trad equipment, pics would be great!  Easier to dream when you can see it.  I'll start with mine: Morrison Cheyenne,  Osage riser...going to have pine cone carving, foam core black limbs with Copperhead skins.  

Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
68" Sunset Hill, 75#-80#@28", bone tip protectors, w/buffalo skin wrap on straight handle.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
That is so not fair!  I refuse to answer on the grounds I can't decide!
But since it is just a dream, I wouldn't mind trying out one of those new Silvertip longbows!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
I just became an owner of my dream bow. I tried for two years to buy this bow, finally got the job done. It's a Big East recurve, 53lbs @ 28" and 60" long

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »
How about a snaky Osage selfbow. On my first bow now and a nice selfbow is all I could think of replacing it. :)
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »
I have an Acadian Woods 3pc Tree Stick due in July, so I guess it will have to be my current "dream" -- That is, until it gets here...     :banghead:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:59:00 AM »
Tie between a Blacktail or Great Plains SR Swift.  Never happen because I'll never pay that much for a bow...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Widow

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
Assenheimer 64in, 52lb @ 28in, three piece takedown recurve. -Charlie

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
A bow made by Arnold (v-archer). His bows and arrows are works of art.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Mine should be done sometime in Oct-Nov.......

3pc Silvertip Longbow 62" and #53 @ 28"

Checkered grip and antler tip overlays.

Antler burr limb bolts.

Walnut Dymondwood riser and walnut actionwood limbs w/clear glass to match the riser.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Two Arrows:
I just became an owner of my dream bow. I tried for two years to buy this bow, finally got the job done. It's a Big East recurve, 53lbs @ 28" and 60" long

That looks like a sweetheart for sure.    :thumbsup:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Brian,

PM sent.
"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
My dream bow...

Well, I think it just rocked-up in the mail.

Back at college when I first became interested in the bow-and-arrow, and had eyes only for camouflaged three-stringed wheel-bows, I read a "Bowhunter Magazine" article about Paul Schafer, and was greatly impressed. But, still the appeal of the wheels held, as, from my rifle background, there was just no way that I could personally trust something so simple, and further, I hadn't yet discovered that the process was more important than the end result. So, I got hold of an elderly Hoyt compound (all I could afford, anyway) and after much trying and a few years, took my first two animals with it, a brumby and a donkey. By the time I took my first donkey, I was in my first year of teaching, and could finally afford a new bow. It was going to be a Matthews compound, but I recalled that Schafer article, and decided to first check out this traditional notion. I bought a Martin Hunter recurve. After much trying with that, I had knocked over another donkey, and a young bull buffalo (not too shabby for a fellow's second traditional kill, and fourth archery kill). But it was on a remote dam in the Simpson Desert, after an epic cat-n-mouse game with an enourmous brumby stallion into which I was finally able to place an arrow, that I decided that this traditional thing was definitely for me. Then and there, near that dam as I looked at the fallen desert monarch, I decided to get one of those Paul Schafer bows. But, back in civilisation, the prospect of waiting for ten months was too much, and I decided that it would be good to check out the longbow thing, seeing as I'd hunted with a compound and a recurve. So, a couple of Black Widow longbows came my way, and I really cut my teeth on them as a bowhunter, and my remaining one remains very special. During this time, I decided to experience Hill-style equipment too, and bought a beautiful Redman. Finally, after a few years had gone by since first deciding to get a Schafer recurve, I stayed-up real late one night so that I could call Montana early in their morning, and place an order with Dave Windauer - and after eleven months it arrived on Friday, and I'm stoked with it!

I suppose I wanted to experience as many different types of bows as I could. One day, I'm sure I'll cut, split and dry one of the nice straight trees that grow along the river, and see what happens.

But, if I just had to have one, it'd be the Silvertip that caught my attention in the magazine when I was just starting out in archery.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
There are so many that I don't have that I want to try.  I have had a few dream bows come through my hands.  It is the dream that keeps you going.  It is an illusion, it's only tangible until you hold the bow, then it's gone.  The dream is sweeter than reality - usually  :p  

With that said, I want to own an RER LX and a Foley recurve.  A PSA Widow that got away.  But I have to agree with several of the above, for the total package, the bow that makes my pulse quicken is the Silvertip.  Especially want the new longbow.  Cruel, cruel world.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
I haven't found it yet.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline crosseye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
A Dean Torges osage selfbow...no doubt.

stan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©