3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2023 Alberta Moose Camp  (Read 13609 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2023 Alberta Moose Camp
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2024, 10:44:07 AM »
Once again, really good Gun!  Thanks for making the effort to share with us. Many of us will never get the chance to hunt moose. Still hoping tho.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2024, 03:00:17 PM »
Thanks again.
Jeff, I keep that pix on my phone. Its very accurate for Moose anatomy. When I was guiding, I made sure my hunters knew where the goodies are. The hump messes with the brain a bit.

Well, after a couple hours we went back to where the shot was taken only to discover the Bull gone! We scratched our heads for a few seconds, then I took the lead and started looking for blood.

I went maybe 20 yds and found the back third of the shaft. We came to the beds, (now three) and saw blood in them. We were on the edge of the dry slough but visibility was not great. The weeds and brush was fairly thick. We couldn't see blood leaving the beds so we split up on three separate trails to look.

Brian was to my left with me in the middle. The trails fanned out some towards the middle of the slough. I went about 20 yds with no sign. I turned to Brian and quietly said I'm going back, we missed something. When I turned, I saw Ed frantically waving for me to come towards him. When I got there he pointed to his right and whispered he's still alive!

I couldn't see him at first as there was a low bush blocking my view. I'm not sure if he heard something or what, but he stood up and fell right over. I quickly stepped to the side and put another arrow in to his lungs. In seconds it was over.

He somehow made another 50 yds from where we left him earlier. I believe my shot was just a bit low catching a small part of the lungs as seen on the diagram.

After congratulations we took some pictures and Ed went to get the truck.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:34:59 PM by Gun »
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2024, 03:07:05 PM »
Another
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:36:06 PM by Gun »
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2024, 04:22:12 PM »
After pictures and tagging, Brian and I went to work clearing a path to the overgrown pasture. We finished up just as Ed showed up, along with Georgia in the truck. Some more pictures and then Ed backed in as far as he could. He has a special frame made that bolts on to the window rack just for Moose/Elk extraction. We still had to use a nylon sling. (Aw shucks, I know) :)

After some body tugging we got him out in the open. Ed took care of the gutting, showing us a very efficient way to take everything out from esophagus to anus in one pull.

After some more pictures we loaded him whole and went back to camp.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ntV5ebKE96M
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:40:21 PM by Gun »

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2024, 04:42:31 PM »
I found out while skinning and quartering that the guys had seen my Bull near the cornfield on Saturday before I came up.

Kayo and Georgia went out in the afternoon and had yet another encounter with the Bull from Monday. I can't remember what else....

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2024, 04:45:54 PM »
After quartering, in the cooler trailer. Another homemade gem with a modified window air conditioner.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2024, 04:56:56 PM »
Friday was my birthday. I stayed in camp and cleaned up the skull in celebration while the guys went cruising. Georgia brought out some snacks and we waited for story time when the guys came back for lunch.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 05:09:20 PM by Gun »

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2024, 05:45:40 PM »
Helluva story.  Thanks for taking us along.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2024, 07:13:46 PM »
Awesome thread!

:campfire:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2024, 07:18:24 PM »
I can't remember what they saw that morning. Nothing was harmed anyway.

After lunch, us three guys headed out. I'm sure we saw multiple Moose again :knothead:

Late afternoon we drove a single lane dirt road. We were about a mile west of where Brian and Georgia had been trying to get the Bull from Monday.

As we approached a corner, Ed glanced out the side and saw a couple cows bedded in the bush. We turned left at the corner and drove up a hill a ways until we were clear of the bush patch. Ed pulled into a approach of the cut Canola and parked.

The plan was to have me go back to the corner and watch what came out. Ed and Brian would go along the top until they got to where they thought the cows were bedded below and try sneak into the trees to call up a Bull if there was one.

I got in position and had a good view of the dirt road and the harvested field to the west. About 15 mins went by when I saw the two cows bust out and cross the road, turn south and crossed the road going west and enter the bush on the other side. I waited there for probably a good half hour.

Eventually Ed and Kayo showed up by the truck. I walked up there and the story unfolded.

They asked if I saw a Bull with the Cows? I had not. They both said good, "he's still in there".

When they walked down to to where they thought the cows were bedded they slowly entered the bush. They had only gone a short distance when they saw a nice Bull bedded in front of them already in Bow range.

Ed whispered to Kayo to get ready, he was going to make a light cow call to get the Bull to stand for a clear shot. When he did one of the cows stood up but the Bull still laid there. Then the other cow stood up and both cows started to move. The Bull stood and looked at the cows, totally unaware of any danger. Brian released hitting the Bull perfect behind the shoulder.

All three Moose took off and they soon lost sight of them. They waited there for a while discussing the shot and then went back up and towards the truck. We waited a bit longer and Georgia showed up. Brian had texted her directions and she wanted to get in on the tracking.

After she heard the story we slowly walked down the road a bit before Ed turned into the bush and had Kayo take lead and look for blood. Georgia and I stayed back. It wasn't very long while Kayo was looking down for blood that Ed spotted something dark off to his side and whistled softly to get his attention, then pointed. Kayo quickly nocked an arrow and slowly took a few steps then poked the Bull. He was done, and had only gone about 50 yds.

After congratulations and pictures, with hugs and kisses from Georgia we cleared brush while Ed got the truck.

We had him loaded after about an hour and back to Camp where the processing started again.

We had a big feast that night on fresh grilled tenderloin and other fixings.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:49:13 PM by Gun »

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2024, 07:28:58 PM »
We organized the next morning and packed for the trip home. I gave Ed half of my Bull as we still had some meat in our freezer from last year.

As it turned out, I shot my Bull on Brian's birthday and he got his on mine.

We all got along great! This was one of the most fun hunts I've ever been on. I've never seen so many Moose in one week! Ed did think that numbers were down from previous years, as well as quality. I didn't complain.

Thanks for looking!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:56:28 PM by Gun »

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2024, 07:39:41 PM »
Great story Gun, thanks for taking us along.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2024, 09:31:59 PM »
Excellent recap and pictures, thanks for sharing with us and congratulations on a great bull and hunt!

:campfire:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2024, 10:05:37 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!! Great story and bulls!!! Thanks for the wonderful ride!!! Gib

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2024, 12:34:02 AM »
Must be awesome to hunt moose in your back yard!!!  Congratulations!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2024, 02:52:36 AM »
Gun, once again, you don't disappoint; Luv the photos especially of the butchered moose.  Awesome animal.  Thanks again.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2024, 09:01:03 AM »
I very much enjoyed your story. Thanks for taking the time to share your success.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2024, 03:54:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, Gun.  What an incredible week of moose hunting!

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2024, 05:04:41 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2024, 05:25:31 PM »
That’s a dandy, Gun, congrats! The Sawzall is the ultimate butchering tool!

Does anyone have the pic of that moose that shows the vitals, but original showing the outside? Would be nice side by side, for comparison.

R

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©