Author Topic: Bow Damage - Fix?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow Damage - Fix?
« on: March 20, 2024, 04:10:34 PM »
I got this bow a few years ago in the Swap from Tim Duval.  I had a stringing accident and this happened.  I don't see Tim around much but have PMed him to see what he thinks.  But I thought I'd post and see what others think.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Damage - Fix?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 04:40:34 PM »
John, being it's on the belly I'd think you could just glue it back down. What glue and method would have to come from one of the glass guys.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 05:03:41 PM »
 :dunno:
If it would push back in there, I would try some EA-40 and wrap some serving string around with super glue about 2" down under the string groove. Like you would on a selfbow that has a crack in the limb.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 06:10:28 PM »
I think I would make sure it goes back together easily first by hand… then get a thin wood overlay prepped and feather sanded about 6” in length and put it all together with EA 40 and spring clamps. Then put some heat on it like under a light bulb over night.   Do NOT try and clean up the area where it’s lifted. Just blow out any dust.

Btw that glass should be roughed up with 120 grit before using the epoxy, and clean with acetone.

Of course you’ll want to do a matching overlay on the other tip too….

What you will be doing is using an external tip wedge….  . 060 to nothing in 8” is what I mill all my tip wedges at….. 

You  might be surprised what adding a tip wedge does for your limb performance. I use them on all my bows….  .02 cents worth.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 07:34:21 PM »
What everyone said above, plus check for any possible hairline splits running down the limb from the nocks.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©