Author Topic: Getting my feet wet again…  (Read 4449 times)

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting my feet wet again…
« on: March 23, 2024, 02:10:23 PM »
Well it’s been about 7-8 years since I have attempted a bow but my oldest is about to turn 11 so I figured I needed to get back to making some bows and put all the other projects on hold.

Found some nice looking diamond wood at the local big box store, just too bad I had to glue 3 pieces together to get it thick enough.

I will try any post some pictures as I get this new design figured out but I think the last time I posted a picture on here the entire user interface was different!

"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting my feet wet again…
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 07:59:16 PM »
Diamond wood???

Looks like plywood to me…. :o :o :o :o    Hopefully you are going real light weight on this… that looks scary to me….  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 09:07:23 PM »
Kirk, my son chose wood for his bow that was outside of his pay grade. Making a mock up plywood riser to make sure my new templates work before I make an expensive mistake. Glad I did because I am not sure I like the curves not being centered on the riser,  looks I need to go back and make another round of templates…

« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 09:26:38 PM by rmorris »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 09:49:24 AM »
Hey stranger, how you been?

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 09:43:09 PM »
Roy, the last 10 years have been some of the most fun and exciting times I have had. Got a great bunch of kids and now that everyone is wiping their own butts I figure I better get back into archery and try to drag a few of them with me as I do it. How life treating you?

Got my scrap pieces glued back on and recut to the new angle. I think I am about out of things to do and may have to dive into making this bow.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 03:46:01 PM »
Sounds great, Ralph..

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 12:07:49 PM »
There a million projects I'd think to do a mock up, I'm really.glad you made a ply riser and a glassless limb, super eye opening for testing visual appeal and if it looks like it'll work.  I comepletely overlooked this as a possibility

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 12:27:57 PM »
You will be much happier with 16-17 degree pads with that limb shape. At 23 degrees you’d end up with a 9” brace height once you have your pre load dialed in.

Without having an adjustable riser, I can see doing a mock up. But I would be very careful actually using threaded inserts in a plywood riser and actually loading up a set of 50# + limbs. I’m not sure it would hold up.

I think I would use red oak you can buy pretty cheap at the big box store for mock up risers when actually stringing up your limbs, and use limb pad wedges to adjust preload. That oak will be much stronger and safer on the tiller tree.

.02 cents worth.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 01:54:02 PM »
The plywood bow will never see a string and more than likely won’t see a second limb, was making a joke early on when I called it  Diamond wood. Mostly to trying to prototype and make sure all the new jigs I am making will work and that I also remember how to still do this.

The one part I can’t prototype is the limb thickness on the first attempt. I am shooting for 35#@22” for a 62” recurve with an 18” riser.

I am going to shoot for .200 stack just after the riser wedge and that will be with a .002/“ taper using .04 glass and approx 1.6” wide limbs.

If anyone has any better suggestions on that stack thickness please let me know.. I will send the closest guess a nice piece of “diamond wood”!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:28:18 PM by rmorris »

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 05:11:17 PM »
You might be a little weak at .200, but that depends on the wedge length and if you include a tip wedge.  35# @ 22” puts the bow at 47 - 50# @ 28”, roughly?  I measure my stacks at 16” from the nock, belly side,  (if all else is identical) and I’d be at .205 +/-, and that’s with a 1.7 width limb.  So add .002/inch back to your wedge, plus a couple extra. Easier to remove extra   My .002 cents worth?
I’ll donate that diamondwood to a worthy cause.   :goldtooth:
Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 09:44:07 PM »
Uli,
You saved me and made me do some thinking and re - measuring tonight when you said 50#@28 and I thought no way my 11 years could pull that!

The correct weight is 30#@28 or closer to 18#@22”. Now I am thinking .200 is too much now.

Appreciate the help!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 12:23:12 AM »
I’m going to give you a bit of advise… you can take it or leave it… building recurve limbs at ultra low draw weights can be frustrating as hell because they get too thin up at the base of the hook and want to go sideways on you… it’s really tough to get torsional stability in those ultra light recurves…. And extra width isn’t going to help.

You can use stable core right under the glass on the back of the bow, or a bias weave carbon will work even better. The last ultra light I built I used .015 twill carbon over stable core on the back for a total of .031 composite backing.and the stability rivaled a 65# bow.

If you are just using .040 glass, I’d recommend no forward taper in the limbs at all, or even a reverse taper for a 30@28” set up…. Once you drop below . .185 - 190 limb thickness at the base of the curl, they start getting squirrelly on you and are very touchy and a perfect alignment is critical …..   food for thought….

You know…. I’ve never tried .050 glass on a light weight recurve. That may in fact give you better stability, but it’s awful heavy on such light limbs… just a thought…

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 03:03:56 PM »
Don’t mean to sidetrack this thread.
Kirk , where did you get the .015 Twill and what did it cost?

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2024, 03:48:43 PM »
Kirk,
I appreciate all the help I can get on this as this is targeted to be my first successful recurve. I will be going with your advice and getting rid of the taper and will also be looking into the .015 twill. Going to try the first one without it as once I get a weight for this design I should be able to calculate stack fairly easily going forward and that is where I will be interested in the twill.

As always appreciate everyone’s help and will try to post if I make any progress over the long weekend.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2024, 11:55:48 PM »
Don’t mean to sidetrack this thread.
Kirk , where did you get the .015 Twill and what did it cost?

it comes from China... i'd have to do some digging to find the contact, its been awhile since i bought some.  Crooked Stik found him on Face book.. he may have the contact info handy. i''l have to look.
but it was reasonably priced..... it's not the best looking carbon weave i've used, but it sure does the job on stability.   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 07:13:31 AM »
Mark Tom ???????????????????
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 07:45:41 AM »
Thanks Max. That’s the guy.
Chatting with him now.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 08:10:34 AM »
 :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 09:35:06 PM »
I am interested in the .5MM twil but will take that up on the new conversation.

I got a little work done today of the new bow. It will be canary wood for the back and belly of the riser and black limba for the center section. I am going to do blood wood/ Osage and maple mosaic with padauk and maple accent strips.

I was able to cut enough padauk out of that 3/4 in board to get enough strips for the accent strips and laminations in the limbs. I have used padauk in several long bow limbs and it works well with the exception of all the grain filling you have to do.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©