3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Harvesting Walnut  (Read 322 times)

Offline Cabal

• Trad Bowhunter
Harvesting Walnut
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
I have been helping a friend clear some land for the past couple of months and he has offered to let me cut down and harvest one of his massive mature black walnut trees as a sign of his appreciation. The tree offered is huge, a left over from an orchard planted by sharecroppers from days gone by. Does anyone have any experience in harvesting trees of this magnitude and breaking them down into staves to make selfbows. And for that matter does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how best to utilize black walnut to make a quality selfbow as far as bow styles or dimensions? I have the means to fell and harvest the tree but a tree of this size would easily be a full day worth of work for two of us. I just don't know what to expect from this wood when splitting it and reducing it to bow dimensions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Harvesting Walnut
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
Not sure about splitting the wood. I don't know anything about that, but, if he is going to let you have the whole tree you might want to consider the burl wood. That stuff is big bucks. Not sure if it's good for bows, but you could buy alot of them with the money made. Just push the tree over with a back hoe. The burl is easy to sell as is. I've seen some of them go between 3000 to 15,000 dollars. Just some thoughts for you to think about.  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »
Let it live...
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 04:05:00 AM »
Sounds like a real pal, a log like that would bring top dollar. Split it out like any other log for staves. Some people use the heartwood only and others like to leave a little sapwood on. Good luck !

Offline Cabal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The actual decision is still a couple of months away and I am inclined to let it live since it is a fine tree and I would be a bit upset to see it go. But on the other hand, a tree like this could provide enough wood to make a lifetime worth of bows with some left over to make furniture and the like. I'll make a new post later if the tree ends up being cut and show the process. Thnaks again.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
I would cut out 2 staves from the trunk. If You have TBB Vol I... Look on page 173.. If my scanner was working I would post the pic.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
If it is going to need to be removed as part of your friends project then you are looking at some potentially great lumber. If not, I would let it live.  If it were mine, I would not use it for bows. Could probably make a servicable bow from it, but there are much better woods for a bow and many other beautiful projects that could be made from it.  But that's just me. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever the decision is.
Burnsie
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm with Burnsie on this subject. BW will make an OK bow but if I were going to make a BW bow I would cut a smaller, easy to manage tree(4" to 8" dia). Generally you would use the white wood, just under the bark, for a BW bow.
  As far as quality grade BW a tree of at least 60 years old or older should be used. The sapwood on BW is quite thick so it takes a very large tree to get to the "good" lumber.
   There is lots of good bow making wood around the Athens area. Hickory, oaks, elm, HHB, ERC and many others. Bigger trees don't necessarily make better self bows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
I sent you an email.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©