Author Topic: Glue for takedown hardware.  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue for takedown hardware.
« on: March 26, 2024, 11:29:31 AM »
Wondered what everyone uses to glue there take down pins and inserts in with. Thanks!

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue for takedown hardware.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 11:54:18 AM »
I use J-B Weld (steel) or Permatex Steel Weld. I tend to stay away from quick cure epoxies, don’t trust them as much as slow cures. Have not tried CA glues yet.
Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 06:48:00 PM »
I’ve been EA-40 my inserts & ca my pins. So far so good

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 07:36:56 PM »
I’ve been EA-40 my inserts & ca my pins. So far so good

x2
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 07:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 08:24:22 PM »
CA on the inserts. Usually nothing on my pins. If you have to wrestle the limbs off the pins they are too tight. Take a 1/4 bit in a pair of vise grips and work on the holes.
High on Archery.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 10:49:09 PM »
.2505 Carbide Reamer does a nice fit.
Hold limb butt loosely with you hand and ream low speed with a hand drill. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:34:32 AM by Mad Max »
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 08:21:02 AM »
Max where do you get those reamers?
High on Archery.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 09:49:54 AM »
I have a slightly larger than 1/4" bit for the pin holes on the limbs.  Can't recall the size with certainty possibly size G.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 12:17:38 PM »
I use CA on inserts and location pins both. But I rough up the bottom portion of the location pin being embedded in the riser with 80 grit using my die grinder. They are damn tough to remove if necessary. Takes a pair of vise grips to break em loose.

What I have found works well for milling the pin holes in the limbs is using. 1/4” router bit, rather than a drill bit. I have a 1/4” end mill bit that works ok too, but the fit is much tighter. I just use a std 1/4” drill bit in a cordless drill to clean out any finish that gets in the hole when spraying, then lube up the pin hole with wax. I wouldn’t use an over sized ream myself. I’d rather deal with a noise issue, than have any slop on a location pin.   .02 cents worth.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 02:46:42 PM »
I use just plain ol 5 minute epoxy on the inserts and pins.

The inserts obviously have threads to grab. The pins on the other hand, I notch. I use a pair of big side cutters to cut 8 grooves into the bottom half of the pin. Haven't had a pin come loose even with trying, since doing this.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 07:21:39 PM »
I use CA on inserts and location pins both. But I rough up the bottom portion of the location pin being embedded in the riser with 80 grit using my die grinder. They are damn tough to remove if necessary. Takes a pair of vise grips to break em loose.

What I have found works well for milling the pin holes in the limbs is using. 1/4” router bit, rather than a drill bit. I have a 1/4” end mill bit that works ok too, but the fit is much tighter. I just use a std 1/4” drill bit in a cordless drill to clean out any finish that gets in the hole when spraying, then lube up the pin hole with wax. I wouldn’t use an over sized ream myself. I’d rather deal with a noise issue, than have any slop on a location pin.   .02 cents worth.    Kirk

A .2505 reamer will still locate very accurate and not be loose. :thumbsup:

Jess size F is .257, it's to big.
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 08:53:13 AM »
I can see that Max…. I was thinking .255…. Not .2505. But…. They are awfully proud of those things with the price they are asking.

Another little trick is to mask off your pins before spraying clear coating. Clear coating on your pins can create a tight fit and are noise makers.   
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2024, 05:39:35 PM »
I can see that Max…. I was thinking .255…. Not .2505. But…. They are awfully proud of those things with the price they are asking.

Another little trick is to mask off your pins before spraying clear coating. Clear coating on your pins can create a tight fit and are noise makers.

:thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 06:06:51 AM »
Masking those pins a real pain for me sooo short pieces of1/4 hose on them when spraying.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 11:08:49 AM »
Masking those pins a real pain for me sooo short pieces of1/4 hose on them when spraying.

THAT…… Is a good idea. Surgical tubing would work excellent. Thanks stick! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline BO-R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 02:42:37 PM »
I have been using the end of this file which is exactly a perfect taper to ream holes and pins fit nicely in handle and limbs.

I use a little vasoline coating on pins when spraying ,wipes right off.

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 03:11:17 PM »
As far as final gluing of pins. I do it after all the spraying and curing is done. A drop of water thin CA in the hole. Shovel the pin in, and quickly wipe up the squeeze out with a paper towel.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 09:28:02 PM »
As far as final gluing of pins. I do it after all the spraying and curing is done. A drop of water thin CA in the hole. Shovel the pin in, and quickly wipe up the squeeze out with a paper towel.

So you put the pins in while building the bow dry, then pull the pins before spraying? That's a different approach i've never heard of..... but hey!  If it works for you, great!
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©