Author Topic: Streaming set out of a finished bow (test)  (Read 2792 times)

Offline epage_backwards_hat

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Bowhunter - Woodsman
    • Backwards Hat Traditional Lifestyle on YouTube
Streaming set out of a finished bow (test)
« on: April 01, 2024, 05:17:59 PM »
Well gentlemen… I have never attempted this before but I am steaming the riser section of this already finished Elm Eastern woodlands bow to get the set out of the fades. This may all come crashing down but it’s worth documenting for all to follow along.
“Now therefore, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, go out to the field, and take some venison for me.” - Genesis 27:3

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Bowhunter - Woodsman
Re: Streaming set out of a finished bow (test)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 05:33:19 PM »
Success in REMOVING the almost 3.5” of set from fades but I did lift a splinter that I was already aware of. I think it can be glued down without issue. The tung oil finish and paint was not damaged by steam.
I will be allowing this bow to stabilize for a couple days… glue splinter back down… and string up. Stay tuned for more.
“Now therefore, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, go out to the field, and take some venison for me.” - Genesis 27:3

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 05:45:15 PM »
That's a good place to have a crack ;)
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Bowhunter - Woodsman
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 05:47:30 PM »
That's a good place to have a crack ;)
I’ll see how glue holds… I’m already contemplating sinew splice to be on the safe side.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 09:55:34 AM »
Do you have an unbraced before pic? Is the center of the bow where most of the set was?  If so, I'd say the damage was already done and the fix probably won't hold with 3 1/2" of set. Not meaning to burst your bubble but most of the strain in a bow is at the fades, glass or wood, and until the tiller is straightened out the problem will persist. Proper tiller has both limbs bending evenly and together. The leverage of the limbs will probably keep stressing the bow in the same place.
 Steam allows the wood to be bent but doesn't add any strength so it will probably go back to where it was.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Bowhunter - Woodsman
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 09:59:05 AM »
Do you have an unbraced before pic? Is the center of the bow where most of the set was?  If so, I'd say the damage was already done and the fix probably won't hold with 3 1/2" of set. Not meaning to burst your bubble but most of the strain in a bow is at the fades, glass or wood, and until the tiller is straightened out the problem will persist. Proper tiller has both limbs bending evenly and together. The leverage of the limbs will probably keep stressing the bow in the same place.
 Steam allows the wood to be bent but doesn't add any strength so it will probably go back to where it was.
The set in fades happened early and I salvaged the tiller. Limbs are bending correctly and not in the fades. Fades should not being doing any work at this point. So I am hoping it holds….

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 10:12:41 AM »
I think what Pat is saying is that once wood has compressed, it loses its strength in compression. The cells of the wood itself get squished. Rehydrating wood gives it elasticity and allows it to be manipulated without tearing the wood typically. But in your case it opened up.

I think the only way to save it is going to be using a backing material and gluing that  split both… but I doubt it’s going to do much for the set in the fades… but who knows …. That backing may help it….  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Bowhunter - Woodsman
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 03:31:22 PM »
Here is the result. I took a lot of precise swipes off of both limbs with card scraper to to put even a little more bend in the limbs. I managed to remove over 1” of the prior set. Set is now down to 2 1/4”. Not an entire fix but enough to be a small success and put some efficiency back in this bow.

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Bowhunter - Woodsman
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 03:36:15 PM »
Braced

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 05:26:35 PM »
Have you shot the bow since you fixed it?
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Bowhunter - Woodsman
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 05:38:11 PM »
Have you shot the bow since you fixed it?
I did this afternoon and it seems to have maintained performance in the sense that removing set and removing a little material for the tiller canceled out. Draws with good tension at my 28” draw and great cast 👍🏼

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 10:37:16 PM »
Good deal.   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©