3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long did it take?  (Read 771 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How long did it take?
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Just was wondering how long did it take you guys, and girls to take your FIRST traditional big game kill?  Pictures and stories welcomed. I would start off, but my first was a squirrel, and have yet to take a big game species.    :biglaugh:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long did it take?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
I can't help ya....
I started with a Cotton tail, then a Racoon, and then Beavers....
    Is a 60# Beaver considerd Big game....?
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
I've been at this traditional thing for about 2 years and so far all I have killed is the occasional stump, pine cone, blade of grass and a rock or two.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
Went back to recurve in Jan. 07. My first big game was a whitetail buck in Nov. 07. Just got my first turkey a couple weeks ago.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
If I don't count the bows I shot made out of shoots and store string, I started shooting a real longbow (12# lemonwood) when I was six or seven.  Had a twisted limb Bear recurve of some sort when I started deer hunting at 12.  Shot my first deer at age 16, I believe.  That would be about 45 years ago.  Have killed a few more big game critters since then.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Two years with my Martin Hunter recurve. It was a perfect Oct 19 and I got out of work early for an evening hunt on public land, As I climb into my tree, I see a buck slinking away and then a bit later I see a forkhorn approaching for what will be a 20 yard shot. At the last second the buck turns in and walks under my tree. I remember looking down and left to clear my lower limb and then shooting the seven foot shot.

After a wait I follow a good trail and find my first seventy-five yards away. I come to terms with the deer and then tag and field-dress it. I have a sling back at the truck and decide to drop off my gear when I go get it. I strike off through the woods towards the truck...

I come across a terrible smell that stops me in my tracks. I catch a movement to my left... was that a whitetail? "Dooooooohhhhh", it was a whitetail, all right. A hunter was pulling up his drawers after following a nature call.

I say 'whoops sorry', 'how bout them Bears' or something like that and explain I got my deer. He offers to help drag it in and we go get it. He grabs an antler and away we go! Guy has the lungs of a marathon runner and I about die of a heart-attack before we get to my truck. We hoist it in and he disappears back into the woods, to properly finish up, I would imagine.

Cary

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
13 straight misses my first year then a nice 8pt my second.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
This picture was taken 1/2 hour into my son's first real. He was allowed to shoot a broadhead instead of a rubber blunt.
It was his 12th birthday present. In California you have to be 12 to buy a legal hog tag.

It took his dad longer LOL!

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
after 25+ years with wheels I switched to traditional and on my very first hunt I got a big doe with my longbow. needless to say...I've been addicted ever since. that big fat doe was the start of something unbelievable for me. I have taken many deer since that first one and what really stands out to me is that I can fill my tags just as easy with a stickbow as I did with the wheel bow and have LOT'S more fun doing it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
I started using Traditional gear back in Sept 2005. That was opening day for Deer hunting in Jersey. I was shooting a long bow for 1 year. My first kill was a DOE at 15 yards... I got it on Video. I have a pic's I just need to find it.

Here is my First Buck, Taken this past season (2007)

The Date in the Pic is off by 1 year.. I forgot to reset it when I put the batteries back in..  :banghead:

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
This picture was taken 1/2 hour into my son's first real. He was allowed to shoot a broadhead instead of a rubber blunt.
It was his 12th birthday present. In California you have to be 12 to buy a legal hog tag.

It took his dad longer LOL!
Really nice, Bjorn.    :thumbsup:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
I shot squirrels, rabbits, and pheasants when I was young.  Deer out of tree stands were pretty simple.  I had a few years where I "trophy" hunted with recurves with sights and one year compounds that I didn't get anything, since then, 1974, I have shot all my deer from the ground, about one a year on average.  I only hunt in Iowa, so most the time I have been limited to one in our area.  I think for myself, hunting small game is where I developed my shooting abilities for deer, developing shot timing for game is critical for ground hunters like myself.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Oh geez, that's a ways back now. Think it was about an hour, hour & half maybe. I had previously whacked deer using training wheels til I got tired of tinkering with mechanical stuff. A nice 3 pt. blacktail that I had spotted & stalked to about 9 yards. Full broadside with his head turned away when I let loose. Well darn! My heart rate just increased thinking about it! I love to bowhunt!
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
After a few yrs of switch hitting(wheel's)I gave my wheeled bow to a coworker and told him not to give it back to me till after the season or if my recurve broke....I killed a 5pt that yr a doe the next and an 8pt after that.....sold the compound
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
This was my first kill

It probably took three years...........and like any other of life's milestones-it is the journey.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
1st Buck with trad-gear Old school, but it was in color. LOL

Notice: The Bighorn recurve made by G.Fred Asbel

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
1st coyote

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
1st time to Santa Cruz Island

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Wow! Way cool!

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
4 years now and still haven't got a deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©