3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blemishes on new bow  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
Blemishes on new bow
« on: April 11, 2024, 11:03:58 AM »
I’ve been shooting vintage Ben Pearson bows since I started shooting traditional about 7 years ago. I’ve always wanted a Bear Grizzly, but could never justify spending the money on a bow I don’t “need.”

I finally ordered the bow I’ve always wanted from 3 Rivers, a 50# Bear Super Grizzly. It’s better than I expected. Shoots where I’m looking and I couldn’t be happier.

There is a blemish on the back of the bow at the bottom of the riser, the width of the bow about 1 1/2 inches long. Looks like a sanded area that didn’t get completely smoothed out before clear coating. You can’t feel it or see it when there’s a glare on it.

Let me say, I don’t care about the blemish. Its character in my opinion, and although I’ve only shot the bow about 25 times, it doesn’t seem to effect performance.

I’m just curious, is this common? Has any one else seen this? Is there any reason for me to be concerned?

Grumpy

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blemishes on new bow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 11:09:33 AM »
I think it's OK but you might post this on the bowyer's bench and see what they say.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 11:16:40 AM »
Even the mass produced bows are still sanded and finished by hand, its likely someone just missed a spot before it went to the spray booth. I would venture to say that mass produced bows aren't looked over quite as meticulously as a handcrafted custom bow.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 11:27:10 AM »
I've seen a lot of topics on multiple forums about the poor finish quality of Bear nowadays. If I go to the local sporting goods store and look at them, nearly every Bear bow on the rack has streaks or scratches or something on them. Lots even have stress cracks in the finish already running perpendicular to the limb. QC could use a bit of improvement.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 03:57:09 PM »
Yep, unfortunately that is the way Bear now does business. They can't even get their most expensive line of LES bows to market without flaws. Three out of four were not suitable for me. I'll never again buy another Bear bow, at any price!   

Online Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 05:14:24 PM »
Yes, pretty much the same issue.

Recently picked up some new Bear #3 limbs and was fairly excited to get them in the mail and on a (pristine) C Riser. My plan was to set up a smooth pulling 3-D shooter. Unfortunately the belly side of the top limb had three small light marks (about the size of a pencil eraser or less)  just at eye level. To my way of thinking I had just spent 400 on limbs that had a flawed appearance. The more I thought about it and knowing this probably would not have happened if it were custom I decided to send them back. Glad I did.

I'll also add this.

Several years ago I ordered a Black Widow longbow. After I received it I noticed a line in the glass that went the length of the upper limb. At first I just wrote it off and called it character of the bow but in the back of my thoughts I was a bit disappointed. After a few months I reached out to Black Widow with a light hearted explanation of my thoughts. Ken Beck had me send the bow to him and after receiving at the shop I got a call from Mr Beck stating, "we can certainly do better then this". A new bow arrived in the mail shortly after.............       
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:40:39 PM by Larry m »

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 05:32:52 PM »
Sadly, this is how once well respected companies die.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 10:10:28 PM »
It is unfortunate. I will keep the bow, it does shoot great. I think it's just cosmetic. I have always wanted a Grizzly. For the money, I did expect a better finish, but, I do really like the way it shoots.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 10:35:46 PM »
I have a 1978 Grizzly, 70#@28" and drawing this bow back you don't pay any attention to the cosmetics, believe me.  I got lucky and this one is very clean.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 10:54:59 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 05:47:46 AM »
If it makes you feel any better I had 2 very high end customs show up with major flaws. One I sent back and it didn’t get returned much better. If it’s not a structural issue, which it doesn’t sound like it is, and it shoots well then I’d just overlook it and call it character.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 02:19:28 PM »
If you won't bloom is free you need to order a custom bow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 03:14:38 PM »
Agreed Ulysseys, it is just a blemish. I'm absolutely sure I'll do much more "cosmetic enhancement" to it myself, after all it is a tool. Honestly, it shoots lights out, and that's all that really matters anyway. It just saddens me that a company that bares the name of the man that made so many advancements for the sport of bowhunting, and archery in general, isn't beholden to what I'm absolutely sure was his standard.

I will say, looks aren't everything. The bow performs as advertised.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 06:18:49 PM by Grumpyfoot »

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 08:38:26 PM »
I don't mind the character, as long as I put it there.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 10:21:51 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2024, 07:58:47 PM »
My thoughts are the same as Wudstix. If I put a ding in my truck or scratch the paint, thats on me, but if I go to buy a brand new truck from the dealer and it has a dent in it already, I'm not buying it.

Offline smoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 11:35:56 AM »
Interesting discussion.   I had a new Bear bow a few years back and wasn't happy with it and returned it.  Didn't think I would buy another but just a few weeks ago I picked up a new 59 Kodiak on a good sale.  I really like the 59 - well made and shoots great. Last year I got an old Wing Slimline Pro Redwing that was marked "blemished".  The blemish was small but noticeable.  But despite being over 50 years old and a blemish, that bow really shoots!

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 12:11:53 PM »
I get the new truck analogy, and I agree. The difference being, I'm not ordering a truck over the mail.

I could send the bow back, but I'm just rolling the dice again, maybe I'll get a blemish free bow, maybe not. It is just a blemish. and as good as this bow feels and shoots, if I send it back, will the next one?

The blemish is only noticeable if you're looking for it, and of course, when it showed up, I was looking.

Besides, I've registered for the warranty, so I've got a year to put as many arrows as I can through it, and find a weakness. If I put that many arrows through it without an issue, I win.

If this were a custom bow, I would not have even started this thread.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2024, 07:07:55 PM »
Chris;
Enjoy your bow, I'm in Texas also and who knows we may cross paths.  Like to see it.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 12:38:40 PM »
10/4 Michael. Thanks man.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 08:02:20 AM »
When I think of a blemish, I think of a large scratch in the finish or a nick in the glass or perhaps an area that didn't receive finish or not enough finish.

Some "Blemishes" are inevitable no matter what. Many of them are not controllable by the bowyer, for example a streak in clear glass is almost impossible to see until the limb is glued up. I have a Widow(A world class bow)that I bought brand new with a few streaks in the glass, it is what it is. 

Bows are made by humans and still many of them entirely by hand. They're all going to have "blemishes" but most aren't noticeable by anyone but the bowyer.

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 08:41:27 AM »
Good point Buckeye. I do agree. I never really considered not keeping the bow. It is just some color differences in the finish. I cannot feel anything when I drag my fingers across it, completely cosmetic, and truth be told, I have cosmetic issues of my own but everything still works.  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©