3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads  (Read 7972 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 08:02:21 PM »
I think it is the width. Not the single bevel that reduces the blood trail. I used Grizzlies for a couple years and switched to Deltas for more blood. The quality and single bevel was never a question for me. The Grizzly is just too narrow for the size game most of us hunt. Whitetails seemed to run away slower and not as far w Grizzlies so that was a plus. But if there is no blood to see it is still too hard to recover an animal.  I would try an 1 1/4" Grizzly if they made it.
I think this year I'll try treesharks. I never shot a deer with one!
Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 08:04:36 PM »
Oops I thought that was a deer I shot w a grizzly. The thumbnails are so small on my computer that I can't tell what photo I attached.

Online Spottedwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2024, 08:16:34 PM »
Used the land shark for the 1st. time this last fall and got complete penetration on a mature doe (at 14yd.shot) and she only traveled maybe 60 yrds. and that was from a 46lb. longbow. excellant blood trail. Hopefuuly will see soon how it works on a hog.
Cari-Bow Slynx 60"/49 lbs.@28"
Horne Brushbow 62"/51 lbs@29"
BW LAG 66"/56 lbs.@29"
Poison Dart 62"/46 lbs.@29"

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2024, 09:20:25 PM »
Tedd;
That's why I'm looking into Abowyer with 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" with 175-210 grains.  There should be plenty cut.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:10:49 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 04:29:06 AM »
Wow. I have easily taken 100 plus animals with Grizzlies and rarely have blood trail issues. A bad hit is a bad hit no matter the head. I would agree a wider head could improve a marginal hit. No your limitations.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 12:45:57 PM »
I guess I'm not the only one that had trouble with Grizzlys. I didn't have a problem until I shot a 150lb boar down in Florida. The shot was perfect and he ran into some thick stuff so I couldn't see him but thought I heard him crash. Myself, the guide and my friend took up the blood trail and there was a drop of blood every ten yards or so. Both my friend and the guide were giving me strange looks but I assured them the shot was textbook. Sure enough after about sixty yards there was my boar right where i heard him crash. After that I switched to bigger heads.

Now I shoot Palmer Extreme Cut broadheads for deer and Simmons for hogs, Land sharks, swamp sharks and interceptors. Both the Palmer's and Simmons leave amazing blood trails.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 08:21:20 PM »
Wudstik, I'll check those out. Are they a glue on?
Tedd

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2024, 08:25:45 PM »
Tedd;
They have a good selection of glue on heads.  The heads I referred to are glue on.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 10:30:05 AM »
Now im curious has anyone ever taken a deer with the simmons land shark 1 5/8 cut and how it performs penetration and blood ? Ive never shot one that wide

Yes, I shot small buck with one and several hogs. Blood trail was superb but they were all double lunged. 
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 07:20:08 PM »
I don't think I ever seen this much bad press for the grizzly but I don't really read as many threads as I used too, I have them but never shot anything with them I don't think I do think they sharpen up pretty darn good.....  heres the kicker though when I went on my first hog hunt I brought stos 160's to hog heaven everyone talked me out of multi blade head for that hunt  and Ray was kinda crapping on my stos heads and introduced me to the file sharpened grizzlys but I wasn't a fan of that course type edge so stuck with the stos that had the ceramic fine edge you could shave with,,,  don't think I ever seen a thread like this but it really keeps me on the fact that my #1 broadhead is and will always be the big snuffer its the one I grab for first...

I shoot everything from FF recurves and longbows to B50 44# selfbows,,,  I'm curious now and have a question for you folks that do alot of killing,, what head would you use on  a 500gr arrow from a 44# selfbow which I currently have single bevel 2 blades,, not sure Id go with a 3 blade but I honestly never tried one from a light bow.

"Us vs Them"

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2024, 08:13:39 PM »
I don't think I ever seen this much bad press for the grizzly but I don't really read as many threads as I used too, I have them but never shot anything with them I don't think I do think they sharpen up pretty darn good.....  heres the kicker though when I went on my first hog hunt I brought stos 160's to hog heaven everyone talked me out of multi blade head for that hunt  and Ray was kinda crapping on my stos heads and introduced me to the file sharpened grizzlys but I wasn't a fan of that course type edge so stuck with the stos that had the ceramic fine edge you could shave with,,,  don't think I ever seen a thread like this but it really keeps me on the fact that my #1 broadhead is and will always be the big snuffer its the one I grab for first...

I shoot everything from FF recurves and longbows to B50 44# selfbows,,,  I'm curious now and have a question for you folks that do alot of killing,, what head would you use on  a 500gr arrow from a 44# selfbow which I currently have single bevel 2 blades,, not sure Id go with a 3 blade but I honestly never tried one from a light bow.
I like cutthroats, zwickey deltas, no mercies, this year im gonna be shooting the simmons tiger sharks . I have never shot the snuffers or vpa’s but i am going to OJAM next march and build my first selfbow and plan on 3 blade snuffs and wood arrows out of it
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2024, 07:25:22 AM »
I never liked the grizzly for the fact that i didn't feel i got them sharp enough.  I have quite a bit of experience with the brown bear by Abowyer which is about same profile i reckon. difference is I can get them extremly sharp
and although they don't leave as much blood as a narrow vpa 3 blade, i hear most of what i shoot go down and
actually the last two pigs i shot left a vast amount of blood on the ground. I don't doubt less blood on ground than a wider head but i truley believe the super sharp edge leads to less tramua on the animal there for they don't tend to bolt for a long distance and they don't clot up quickly as well. also its hard to find blood on poor shot placement. just my humble opinion. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2024, 09:00:24 AM »
There's few things that gets the troops riled up like a discussion on the perfect broadhead. It can turn once good friends into mortal enemies.  :deadhorse:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2024, 10:24:11 AM »
Stick with the 2 blade. I shoot a Grizzly out of my selbows with no issues. It’s important where you hit not the head as long as both are sharp. Bad shots happen and the tendency is to blame the head and not the shooter

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2024, 10:52:10 AM »
Stick with the 2 blade. I shoot a Grizzly out of my selbows with no issues. It’s important where you hit not the head as long as both are sharp. Bad shots happen and the tendency is to blame the head and not the shooter

I am an absolute believer in "to each their own".....that said, my comments aren't about "bad shots".

I have killed a few pickup loads of whitetails with traditional gear, many of them with single bevel heads. In my experience, a perfect shot with a single bevel head vs. a perfect shot with something wider....like an Ace...there is no comparison in the blood trail.

Single bevel heads will certainly make you a better tracker.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2024, 07:35:53 PM »
I have watched and read this thread several times; trying to understand how so many folks can have opposite view points and results. One camp says standard width 1 1/8" heads are awful (and maybe shouldn't be in the woods) others says they have killed over a 100 with the same type of heads without issues. Like Maclean said everybody has an opinion about broadheads.

While I can't say I ever owned a grizzly head (not a fan of the tip design and single bevel), I think it needs to be kept in mind that Eskimo's, Stingers, Razorheads (1 1/16"), Grizzly's and tons of other heads are 1 1/8" wide. Some may be somewhat short/stubby and others.... long and narrow...but 1 1/8" is 1/1/8" as long as it sharpens and flies well.... and has enough steel for the game you intend to hunt. I wouldn't hunt a Rhino with a Razorhead. It might work but I don't want to try it.

I've kept a journal since my first deer and I just looked at it for confirmation and  I have killed 137 deer, bear, caribou, antelope, elk, mule deer, pigs, and javelinas with those 1 1/8" width two blade style heads. I never even think about a blood trail as if I hit pretty close to the lethal zone; I have enough blood on the ground to take me to the animal. Like somebody else said, at least half the time I hear them fall and thrash down in the woods. I also recovered a few anatomical miracles along the way with those 'narrow' heads.

So maybe that's the real difference. I shoot broadheads that are as sharp as a surgeons scalpel and never worry about the blood trail. I'm a good enough tracker that it doesn't impede my ability to recover the animal if the hit is lethal. However, if I thought I needed a broadhead that would create a 3" wide trail of blood to make me happy....then I very well might have made a different selection way back there. I can see the logic in why others choose bigger broadheads. I'm not saying others should shoot what I do. I'm just saying those standard width broadheads work for me.

I did shoot my first recurve deer with a  razor sharp 160 grain Snuffer out of a 72# Brackenbury and had that magical blood trail that everyone expects. I have to be honest and say it was pretty awesome to look up the trail and see blood for the next 50 yards. Yet, my broadhead barely achieve an off shoulder pass through. I thought at the time I was playing with fire with penetration and made a switch to a two blade Black Diamond....and never have looked back.

I think it's entirely possible that both opposite views are correct. It just depends on your desired expectations.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 07:29:31 AM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2024, 08:17:17 PM »
The idea is to get the critter on the ground as quick as you can.  Blood lose helps with that.  In Texas if your critter runs too far you're liable to get to a pile of bones at the end of a long blood trail.  Coyotes can hear a thrashing critter much better than most hunters.  They'll beat you to it every time.  Best to put the critter down where you can hear it fall.  I've done that with Snuffer, Magnus Mag, ACE, STOS, Ribteck all 160 grains, and probably a Zwickey Delta or two.  Key is shoot straight get two holes and something to follow. 
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 01:58:43 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2024, 09:27:53 AM »
It was just a few years ago that the Ashby research was all the rage. I still adhere to much of it.....heavy arrows, weight forward....and if I were pounding arrows through water buffalo I would most likely think the Grizzly single bevel 3:1 model for a broadhead was the cats meow.

I do chuckle in this debate a bit, as the pro single bevel advocates drop things like "well mine are razor sharp" and "I put mine in the right spot"  :biglaugh: Ye :biglaugh:ah guys....mine too
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2024, 11:53:43 AM »
It was just a few years ago that the Ashby research was all the rage. I still adhere to much of it.....heavy arrows, weight forward....and if I were pounding arrows through water buffalo I would most likely think the Grizzly single bevel 3:1 model for a broadhead was the cats meow.

I do chuckle in this debate a bit, as the pro single bevel advocates drop things like "well mine are razor sharp" and "I put mine in the right spot"  :biglaugh: Ye :biglaugh:ah guys....mine too

I too think the Ashby studies have value. I use weight forward heavy arrows with heavy broadheads, but that's mostly for hunting elk, which are big tough animals. For smaller game, I don't think the studies are as important.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2024, 07:37:28 AM »
I run 4 blades though thick shielded boar hogs, and elk are no different. I would not change my head for elk. I'd still use a ZD4 if I was elk hunting.  Heck, I buried an arrow to the fletch on a 2100# Bison with a three blade. I see no need for narrow 2 blades what so ever state side.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©