3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads  (Read 7967 times)

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Grizzly Broadheads
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2024, 02:05:01 PM »
There is not much in North America that a good sharp, wide two blade or three blade won't put on the ground.  Shoot placement and sharp heads are the key. 
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Flbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2024, 07:07:05 PM »
I’ve seen weird things happen on blood trails, but one thing that’s been consistent is a wider or multi blade head leaves more blood on the ground. I think a lot of guys up north in wider areas have no problems with the skinny head’s because you can see ur critter fall. Down here in the swamps if the animal makes it 25-30 yards a trail can be difficult without good blood. Another pattern I’ve seen is most of the guys that hunt with the skinny heads hunt deer. Deer bleed more than a hog, that fat and hair stops bleeding like you wouldn’t believe. If ur worried about penetration shoot a skinny 2 blade with bleeders like an Eskimo or a stinger.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2024, 07:06:05 AM »
I think it was said earlier, what's the difference between a grizzly and every other 1 1/8" 2 blade head?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2024, 08:58:27 AM »
I’ve seen weird things happen on blood trails, but one thing that’s been consistent is a wider or multi blade head leaves more blood on the ground. I think a lot of guys up north in wider areas have no problems with the skinny head’s because you can see ur critter fall. Down here in the swamps if the animal makes it 25-30 yards a trail can be difficult without good blood.

I hear ya, there's a guy that use to post here that showed a lot of pics of hogs from Cali, and he shot narrow grizzes, and he always claimed he saw his animals go down in sight.  I guess so as his pics revealed that the terrain was like hunting on a golf course.

I told him to bring his heads east  :biglaugh:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2024, 09:02:57 AM »
I’ve seen weird things happen on blood trails, but one thing that’s been consistent is a wider or multi blade head leaves more blood on the ground. I think a lot of guys up north in wider areas have no problems with the skinny head’s because you can see ur critter fall. Down here in the swamps if the animal makes it 25-30 yards a trail can be difficult without good blood.

I hear ya, there's a guy that use to post here that showed a lot of pics of hogs from Cali, and he shot narrow grizzes, and he always claimed he saw his animals go down in sight.  I guess so as his pics revealed that the terrain was like hunting on a golf course.

That picture is perfect Terry.....up here we hunt swamps pretty hard...not the same vegetation, but imagine vines of every type...poison ivy, wild grape, etc...before a hard freeze and big wind, it is too thick to see an animal further than 10 feet. If a deer goes 100 yards with no blood, you better be an expert tracker.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2024, 03:47:15 PM »
That looks allot like the blood weed here in Texas.  You can walk right by a critter laying three yards away and not see them.  With limited blood and hog trails criss-crossing every where, it can be rough.  Add some downed trees and flood debris and yeehaw!

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2024, 03:58:00 PM »

Kingwouldbe?
I used to enjoy his posts.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2024, 04:44:29 PM »
Yes, Dave is a hoot!  We chat on the phone every once in a while.  :campfire:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2024, 08:34:12 PM »
Haven't seen him here for years.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2024, 04:55:24 PM »
I miss his big hog adventures, as well.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2024, 09:37:02 AM »
All I have to say about this is I don't know! I have been killing stuff with a longbow for 50 years now and have used most heads out there at one time or another all with good success. With that being said, I have used the Grizzly for about 20 years now and have a pile of animals to their credit both here and abroad.

I will also say that there are some very experienced bowhunters here and can't figure out why the wide range of experiences on this.

With my thoughts on this I really question what some call sharp. I did loose an animal in Africa a couple of years ago to a shot, that in all aspects on film and in experience looked perfect! Absolutely no blood and the trackers couldn't find it. In all honesty, I have to fault myself on that for getting careless and thinking that kinda sharp was sharp enough. I got a pass through but still I knew the head should have been sharper. After that experience I vowed to never shoot one that wouldn't pop hair at the touch. Going back to Africa the next year with that in mind I worked every head with a file, three grits of stone then leather until you could walk by one and get cut. Two animals fell to those heads that year and both animals you could see blood fly in the air at the impact with the naked eye and on camera it was even more amazing to see. One a 1000 pound Eland and the other a Bushbuck and I'm not kidding, blood filled the air at impact on both animals and it wouldn't have been any better if it had six blades. 

Again, I know there are real experiences from some great hunters here that can back up their opinions! I just know for me that I like how they fly, I have NEVER had a head failure by breaking or turning and have a pile of critters to their credit both large and small.   

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2024, 12:14:54 PM »
A common comment throughout is good solid, straight flying, easy sharpening scary sharp heads are the good ones.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2024, 05:11:25 PM »
Cory Mattson has had narrow 2 blades banned for years on the South Carolina Bow Zone for years due to lost hogs.
Get bamboo.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2024, 05:33:04 PM »
Hogs can be tough to get down, if the shot is not in the vitals, or hits an artery.  Same could be said for most game.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 11:41:57 AM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2024, 11:59:34 PM »
We are fortunate to have some good two, three, and four blades blades to pick from, but what did Saxton Pope, Art Young, Compton and Ishi use? How about some that followed them like Fred Bear, Pearson, Howard Hill, Glenn St. Charles and many others? Some used stone points, others made crude two blades tied into their wood shafts. Fred Bear came out with the Razorhead in the 50's after Cliff Zwickey added a bleeder to his two blade. The differences might have been they got what they used razor sharp and/or serrated.  They didn't use 175 gr three blades.  The reason for bringing this up, is a lot of bowhunters do not know how to sharpen any broadhead. I have a box of crap, heads that someone tried to sharpen on a grinding wheel.  I recall stories about recovering game through their tracking skills. In some cases nothing can make up for a bad shot, or gut shot animal.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2024, 07:14:39 AM »
I'll have to disagree with you on that HUD. I don't know how many tracking jobs you've been on over the years but I’ve been in so many group hunts and led so many hunts that I have seen gut shot animals recovered and not recovered..  Bigger wider and more blades are better through the guts by far.

Multi blades through the guts provide a bigger hole for more blood period. Also there is a chance for an intestinal trail also as I have been on more than several of those.

Big wide or multi blades through the guts release more toxins, causing the animal to lay down quicker.  And stay down without having them get up with the coagulated blood clot at the entrance and exit wound.  And then going off and leaving no trail.

The more damage you can do, the better.
And if people think that shooting a forty five pound bow with a single belvel grizzly is gonna guarantee them a blow through the ball joint good luck.

Yes Corey Mattson has banned them on his lease that he has run for over two decades and they are now banned on the Laredo hunts that I run. Some of my decision was also made from the Solana hunts that I ran for years from back in the two thousands and early teens.

In my experience of tracking so many other people's animals is that narrow two blade trails end up in a dead end over eighty five percent more than any other multi blade wide blade head.

And then we want to go with the two holes are better than one.... I've never had a problem getting multi blade heads to make both.

Again the grizzly has its place but I see no place for it stateside at alll.

If I can kill a 2100 pound American Boston with a 70 pound bow and a 3 blade it seems to reason thet that you should be able to kill a hundred and fifty pound deer with a multi blade or a wide two blade.  If not maybe you should check your equipment and your tune.

I don't mean to be harsh, just stating my observations over the years.  And I'm not discounting Mike Yancey's post.  He's in a different league than most.

Offline matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2024, 10:16:50 PM »
I must say this is a great conversation, it’s very interesting to read everyone’s opinion and their experiences. A lot of you have way more experience than I do. I have killed around 25 deer with a traditional bow. I have used Wensel Woodsman,Bear Razorhead, Ace, Zwicky - Eskimo,Delta and No Mercy,  Snuffer, VPA  Stinger and Grizzly single bevel.

Just from what I have seen, I do feel that I have gotten better blood trails with a 3-blade head. But some of the two blade kills were amazing blood trails also.

I almost think you could shoot 10 animals today with the exact same broadhead and five would leave a good trail and five wouldn’t.

The doe with the recurve was shot with a Grizzly single bevel on a wood shaft. The blood trail was amazing.

The deer hanging up was shot with a Snuffer from a 49# longbow on a 2018. The hole from the Snuffer was astronomical.

If I could only shoot one head from now on, I would pick a 3 blade.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2024, 11:17:03 PM »
This is the results of a Zwickey Delta four blade on a large javalina i shot with a 50# longbow. Both shoulders....

And this is the results of a 145 grain Snuffer on a large trotting javalina with the same bow...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©