3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Broadheads
« on: April 12, 2024, 01:34:03 PM »
Hey Guys wondered if yall could help me? I have some single bevel 175gr screw in single bevel broadheads im trying to identify the look identical to the grizzly broadheads only difference is mine are only 1” wide at widest point with tanto tip , ive had them about 10-12 yrs never used them. All the grizzlys i find now are 1 1/8” wide and these are like i say 15/16-1” they are not marked. I could swear they were grizzlys but now not sure did grizzlys used to be narrower or did tuffhead make one that was 1” wide ?
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 01:46:18 PM »
I have older Grizzlies, similar vintage to yours, in 145 grain. They measure 1” to 1-1/16” wide at the base. I have newer ones in 155 grain which are 1-1/8”. I don’t believe I sharpened them enough to remove that much material. I think they were narrower years ago. Something to keep an eye on though, as I know of a few states with a 7/8” minimum width requirement.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 01:50:38 PM »
Grizzly broadheads have caused more losses of havelina and hogs at the LaredoTusk Roundup hunts and others than any head ever manufactured in history.

They have also been banned from other leases and hunt clubs due to the same fact that are hog hunting facilities.

I'm not sure what you're planning on shooting with them, but there is a place for those on really big game but not stateside. If you can't get a wide two blade, 3 blade or a four blade through an animal in the United States, you have a serious issue with your setup and your bow, r you have no clue what you're doing.

I'm sorry.
If I sound harsh but I will no longer blood trail any animal shot with these Narrow heads on game on any hurt that I am on, And they are banned from any hunt that I run. I detest wounded animals that are not recovered due to lack of blood and so many lost animals. Good luck
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 02:47:37 PM »
Grizzly broadheads have caused more losses of havelina and hogs at the LaredoTusk Roundup hunts and others than any head ever manufactured in history.

They have also been banned from other lisa's and hot clubs due to the same fact that are hog hunting facilities.

I'm not sure what you're planning on earning with them.But there is a place for those on really big game but not stateside. If you can't get a wide two blade, 3 blade or a foreblade through an animal in the United States, you have a serious issue with your setup and your bow.Or you have no clue what you're doing.

I'm sorry.
If I sound harsh but I will no longer blood trail any animal shot with these Narrow heads on game on any hurt that I am on, And they are banned from any hunt that I run. I detest wounded animals that are not recovered due to lack of blood and so many lost animals.Good luck

Yes i agree with you i dont hunt pigs or deer with them fr that reason but they do make awesome rabbit heads which is what istarted using them for.They are small enoughnot to damage too much meat but im running out of them thinking about adding an adder behind the head if i can find some more. As for as the heads i hunt with i use single bevel cutthroats 1 1/8” heads forcouple years now on pigs and deer they have been great plenty of blood and nice holes havent not recovered yet.Thats why i never hunted with the griz before because they were too narrow it scared me but recently started using them on small game (rabbits) they work great!
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 10:42:16 PM »
The only Grizzly head I'd consider is the Instinct.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 07:24:48 AM »

They have also been banned from other lisa's and hot clubs due to the same fact that are hog hunting facilities.

I'm not sure what you're planning on earning with them.But there is a place for those on really big game but not stateside. If you can't get a wide two blade, 3 blade or a foreblade through an animal in the United States, you have a serious issue with your setup and your bow.Or you have no clue what you're doing.

I'm sorry.
If I sound harsh but I will no longer blood trail any animal shot with these Narrow heads on game on any hurt that I am on, And they are banned from any hunt that I run. I detest wounded animals that are not recovered due to lack of blood and so many lost animals.Good luck

Yes i agree with you i dont hunt pigs or deer with them fr that reason but they do make awesome rabbit heads which is what istarted using them for.They are small enoughnot to damage too much meat but im running out of them thinking about adding an adder behind the head if i can find some more. As for as the heads i hunt with i use single bevel cutthroats 1 1/8” heads forcouple years now on pigs and deer they have been great plenty of blood and nice holes havent not recovered yet.Thats why i never hunted with the griz before because they were too narrow it scared me but recently started using them on small game (rabbits) they work great!

Yes, I'm sorry.That I budged the last thread.But voice command sucks while you're driving down the road...

Here are my modified small gamers....
https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=108894.msg2040028#msg2040028

I'd grind the corners off of the Wensels because I keep my small game Arrows in my back quiver and my Hog andkavalina heads in my bow. Quiver, because the beveled corners allowed them to come out of my back quiver easily.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 04:09:35 PM »
I have some 20+ year old Grizzly broadheads in black 125gr, and red 175gr that measure about 1" cut width after sharpening. Although never losing 3 deer and 1 Elk with these I stopped using them due to poor blood trails to follow. They are tough heads.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 01:00:34 AM »
It's hard to step back from big 3 blade heads.  I've shot Magnus Mag I at 160 grain, STOS 160 gr., ACE at 160 gr., Ribteck 160 and 190 gr.  After I went back to Snuffer, VPA and Grizzly Instinct.  There isn't enough hunting time to switch back to 2 blade. 

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 11:42:54 AM »

I'm sorry.

I am glad it was Terry saying this, and man do I agree. I have experiemented with single bevel broadheads several times. Never again. Terrible blood trails.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 09:20:33 PM »
We'll see how the Abowyer Wapiti and Bonehead Large work out.  They are a little wider.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 10:23:08 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 08:09:58 AM »
I used ABOWYER heads last year, and they were absolutely superb quality. If you like single bevel heads, they are the way to go.

What is dislike is the whole single bevel 3:1 ration concept. There is not a big enough hole.

I hunt whitetails and the OCCASIONAL black bear. They are very easy to punch through with a much wider 2 blade or 3 blade head.

G. Fred Asbell

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 08:45:39 AM »
I agree with Terry. I shot the doe in my avatar with a  grizzly single bevel, not a drop of blood. Since then I have switched to VPA 1 1/4 3 blade and  Zwicky Deltas .
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 09:45:32 AM »
Wow, well i have been hunting with single bevels for a good long time n only experience little blood amounts was if i hit real high. But even with not getting a passthrough still always had decent blood only time i didnt really care for blood trail was with dbl bevel 2 blade . I do believe shot placement is way more crucial than depending on broadhead type tho. I have always wanted to try a 3 blade just have heard way too many horror storys about no penetration or lack of but even that cud narrow down to shot placement as well but i will say ive never had a time yet where a bone stopped me from making a killing shot with my 250 gr single bevel. But we all have what we like and what we feel works best for us and what we feel dont.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 10:30:06 AM »
I do have the horsepower to shoot large 3 blade heads, and have for 40+ years.  Started out early on with Snuffer heads.  Moved to shooting Magnus Mag I, STOS, ACE and Ribteck in 160 grains or better.  Just looking for something for when I am not shooting heavy bows anymore.  Abowyer caught my eye and the price was right. ($45/pack)  Bonehead Large 1 1/2" wide and Wapiti 1 1/4" wide.  I know the double bevels listed above work well.  3 blades are currently my favorite again, as well.  I'll probably be 100 years old by the time I get enough data on all these choices.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 04:03:52 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 07:32:14 AM »
I see the opinions and experiences of everybody and I think there is always a trade off, the broadheads that leave the best blood trails sometimes don’t have the best penetration and the best penetrating broadheads don’t often leave a decent blood trail. Lol the best is to make the perfect shoot to see them fall in sight:)
For sure a good poundage bow and a heavy arrow solve this handicapp. I think a well experienced bowhunter can make the right choice and keep those blades scaring sharp
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 09:31:36 AM »
I see the opinions and experiences of everybody and I think there is always a trade off, the broadheads that leave the best blood trails sometimes don’t have the best penetration and the best penetrating broadheads don’t often leave a decent blood trail. Lol the best is to make the perfect shoot to see them fall in sight:)
For sure a good poundage bow and a heavy arrow solve this handicapp. I think a well experienced bowhunter can make the right choice and keep those blades scaring sharp
Very Well said i agree!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 11:45:31 AM »

I agree.  The only poor blood trails I recall were from marginal hits.  Good bow poundage and solid sharp broadheads combined with decent shoot placement are the key.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 04:31:50 PM »
My comments on single bevel heads are based on killing 10+ whitetails and a mule deer with them. All recovered, all what I would think of as "perfect" shots. Every single one of them required tracking skill BEYOND just following blood.

There are some excellent quality SB heads out thier.....but no more for me.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2024, 04:44:27 PM »
Roger;
Good to note, I have no experience with SB, but have heard allot of good buzz about the Abowyer.  All the blood trials shown, Stevie Wonder could follow, but I guess the poor ones don't make the press.  Probably, confine my initial trials to hogs, until they prove themselves.  I generally have two holes in almost all of my critters.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire: :thumbsup: :saywhat:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 03:29:10 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 03:36:35 PM »
Now im curious has anyone ever taken a deer with the simmons land shark 1 5/8 cut and how it performs penetration and blood ? Ive never shot one that wide

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©