3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weak Spine Arrows With New Bow  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weak Spine Arrows With New Bow
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2024, 05:52:53 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention it. Brace height is 8". I'm trying to keep it in the middle of recommended until I get the arrows a bit closer. Nock point is set at 1/2", so that's something to check out. I am currently only using one nock point.

I don't think my wrist is bent, I can't see it, and I haven't tried to catch it on camera. I'll try to catch that. I do know that my wrist feels relaxed , I'm trying to relax it through the shot cycle, and I think I am. I will pay closer attention the next time I shoot.

My bow arm is pretty strong, when I draw, i roll my elbow out just a bit, and I don't lock my elbow. I keep it slightly bent. The pressure of the grip stays on the meaty part if the palm in line with the webbing of the thumb, with even vertical pressure. I try to lightly hold the back of bow with my index finger, and middle finger.

I don't count how long I hold at full draw. When I reach anchor I focus on the spot and start slowly tightening my back muscles until my fingers slide off of the string. I will see how long that sequence lasts the next time I shoot as well.

I like the idea of anchoring to a tooth, I will look into that. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, nock tension is good. Not tight but not loose. I can slide the nock on the string when it snaps on, but it doesn't slide by just the weight of the arrow sitting on the shelf.

I have tried the weather rest, but honestly I just don't like it. If it comes to it I'll do what I did with my Ben Pearsons and put a piece of leather lace on the shelf under the rest.

Online Flbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2024, 06:11:23 PM »
If you shoot without the arm guard do you get sting slap? If so that slightly rolled out and bent elbow could be the issue. If I shoot with that arm positioning I get string slap and I will have erratic arrow flight. A persistent nock left can also be indicative of a grip issue. For me it’s usually too much palm pressure.

Offline Undomesticated

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2024, 07:02:07 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention it. Brace height is 8". I'm trying to keep it in the middle of recommended until I get the arrows a bit closer. Nock point is set at 1/2", so that's something to check out. I am currently only using one nock point.

I don't think my wrist is bent, I can't see it, and I haven't tried to catch it on camera. I'll try to catch that. I do know that my wrist feels relaxed , I'm trying to relax it through the shot cycle, and I think I am. I will pay closer attention the next time I shoot.

My bow arm is pretty strong, when I draw, i roll my elbow out just a bit, and I don't lock my elbow. I keep it slightly bent. The pressure of the grip stays on the meaty part if the palm in line with the webbing of the thumb, with even vertical pressure. I try to lightly hold the back of bow with my index finger, and middle finger.

I don't count how long I hold at full draw. When I reach anchor I focus on the spot and start slowly tightening my back muscles until my fingers slide off of the string. I will see how long that sequence lasts the next time I shoot as well.

I like the idea of anchoring to a tooth, I will look into that. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, nock tension is good. Not tight but not loose. I can slide the nock on the string when it snaps on, but it doesn't slide by just the weight of the arrow sitting on the shelf.

I have tried the weather rest, but honestly I just don't like it. If it comes to it I'll do what I did with my Ben Pearsons and put a piece of leather lace on the shelf under the rest.

Tie in a second nock point so you can 100% say it isn’t that. Bump up that nock point to 5/8”.

Besides that, i think you have plenty of form issues to tinker with. I look forward to seeing what you figure out.

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2024, 07:12:16 PM »
The string doesn't slap me usually, but I'm not perfect, it's more of a security blanket. Palm pressure is something to think about.

I will try the second nock point, I've never done it before, but it is absolutely worth trying out.

Thanks for all the help, and time spent.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2024, 02:18:14 PM »
In order to properly bareshaft one must have impeccibly, repeatable form. If not, you can not try to adjust the spine by continuously changing results.

My advice is get your form done Pat, first.

All of the recommended things to try mentioned above are good, but don’t try those changes while bareshafting. Get some fletched arrows, take the target of your bales, only draw a vertical line for reference. Now work on your form till you find what you like and can repeat that every shot with no hesitation. Then you can try bareshaft.

Oh and I might suggest you do this form work from a seated position so the non Archery working parts of your body are at rest. And focus more on your anchor/keep pulling, release will happen. During this process don’t worry or think about accuracy, just get your form down. The computer on top of your shoulders will take care of accuracy at a later date. You want muscle memory to take care of repeatable form.

Good luck!
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Grumpyfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2024, 05:57:09 PM »
Thanks Kelly. I do work on my form quite a bit, but too much is not enough. I never thought of sitting down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©